Suprising shared universes

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Suprising shared universes

Post by Q99 »

Oh, right now in IDW comics, Transformers, GI Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, and Rom: Space Knight are all, officially and up front, part of the same universe.

The rise of Cobra happened in large part due to the damage caused by Megatron's invasion and taking advantage. MASK is based on cybertronian tech. Rom enters the picture to hunt Dire Wraiths, which had infiltrated GI Joe and tried to set them against the Transformers/Optimus to gain control of Earth's energon supplies (and was initially mistaken for a hostile cybertronian). GI Joe is now officially in charge of human/alien relations. Skywarp is joining their team. It's a weird world.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:Dr who and Hitchhikers guide to the universe are linked I believe
Ten alluded to meeting Arthur Dent once.

Marvel and DC have had official crossovers with each other. They've also done crossover comics with Star Trek.

Star Trek has done a comics crossover with Doctor Who.

Now, Star Trek canon policy, I believe, is that only the TV shows (not counting the animated series) and films are canon, generally. But Doctor Who doesn't really have a canon policy, and I'm not sure what the current policy is for DC and Marvel.

Arguably, while they would not be a shared universe under Trek canon, you could make a good argument that Marvel, DC, Who (and therefore, apparently, HGttG), and Star Trek are all in a shared universe.

Edit: At least in Who canon.
Also the special executive appear in both doctor who and captain britain (marvel) comics.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Usagi Yojimbo has crossed over with the Ninja Turtles from the old Mirage comic.

He's about to have a new crossover with the IDW Ninja turtles.... who won't know him, while he still remembers the Mirage versions.

So IDW Ninja Turtles and Mirage Ninja Turtles share a universe.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Q99 wrote:Usagi Yojimbo has crossed over with the Ninja Turtles from the old Mirage comic.

He's about to have a new crossover with the IDW Ninja turtles.... who won't know him, while he still remembers the Mirage versions.

So IDW Ninja Turtles and Mirage Ninja Turtles share a universe.
90s live-action T.V. version of the Ninja turtles also share the same universe as the Power Rangers.

And IIRC comic Power Rangers have had a run in with the D.C. comic universe.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Tribble wrote: 90s live-action T.V. version of the Ninja turtles also share the same universe as the Power Rangers.
Good one!
And IIRC comic Power Rangers have had a run in with the D.C. comic universe.
Though I think that's just a non-canon crossover.

Speaking of non-canon crossovers, we almost had a really awesome DC/Transformers one, but the reboot killed it.

Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Well, there was an Avengers / Transformers crossover (just in case someone hasn't mentioned it yet).
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Parallax wrote:Well, there was an Avengers / Transformers crossover (just in case someone hasn't mentioned it yet).
Yea, but it kinda sucked ^^ And was one of those non-canon things, the events in it never came up again (heck, the Avengers lineup wasn't even an exact lineup from any specific time), and the IDW TF world has been expanded enough to confirm there's no Avengers in it.

Similar note, Spider-man did appear early on in the Marvel Transformer's comic, but that fell by the wayside. Though it's still in the same multiverse, as Death's Head was introduced by Transformers, got shrunk by Doctor Who, ended up in Marvel, and *is still there*.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Though that crossover did give us the basis for this image...

http://i.imgur.com/QJK3o5k.jpg
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Here's an interesting one: a crossover between two things with a completely different animation style: Fairly Odd Parents/ Jimmy Neutron. Although they can get away with it due to being kids shows, it would be interesting to see more "adult" versions of this.

From the same episode:
Image Image Image

(Yes I know e.g. star wars switches between many media, but that isn't something they note in-universe like here).
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Parallax wrote:Though that crossover did give us the basis for this image...

http://i.imgur.com/QJK3o5k.jpg
Hah, yea :D
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

In more Drama-based stuff: Detective John Munch. Do you want to know how many shows are connected via him?
  • Homicide: Life on the Street—119 out of 122 episodes in the series
    Law & Order: Special Victims Unit—241 out of 324 episodes in the series
    Homicide: The Movie—television movie
    Law & Order—four episodes: "Charm City," "Baby, It's You" (part 1), "Sideshow (Part 1)," and "Entitled (Part 2)"
    Arrested Development—one episode: "Exit Strategy"
    The X-Files—one episode: "Unusual Suspects"
    The Beat—one episode: "They Say It's Your Birthday"
    Law & Order: Trial by Jury—one episode: "Skeleton (Part 2)"
    The Wire—one episode: "Took"
    30 Rock—two episodes: "¡Qué Sorpresa!," the characters are watching an SVU episode, with dialogue written and action shot specifically for 30 Rock. Richard Belzer also appears as the actor playing Munch in "Last Lunch", part one of 30 Rock's series finale, when Jenna Maroney lands a guest role on SVU as a corpse.
    A Muppet version of Munch appeared in the Sesame Street sketch "Law & Order: Special Letters Unit" where he was portrayed by David Rudman.
    An artwork version of Munch appears in the 2016 comic book Spider-Man/Deadpool #6.
    An unseen Munch is mentioned, by Detective Chief Inspector John Luther, as a NYPD SVU contact on episode 5 of the UK crime drama Luther. Notably, DCI Luther is played by Idris Elba, who played Stringer Bell in the HBO drama The Wire, where Munch previously cameoed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Hard science space survival story The Martian takes place in the universe of The Expanse.

Actual fact decided on by the authors of the books.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Vendetta wrote:Hard science space survival story The Martian takes place in the universe of The Expanse.
Wow. Is there a citation for this?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Webcomics used to cross over a lot and do shared universes (It's Walky and Avalon were in a universe which was in turn a parallel universe to Faans, for example), but nowadays that's pretty rare.

The webcomic Schlock Mercenary and the webcomic Nukees are linked- or that is to say, they don't exactly share a universe, but the artist of Nukees managed to get cryo-frozen and is a fairly major reoccurring character in Schlock Mercenary. Like, really major, though part of that is simple statistics.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Vendetta wrote:Hard science space survival story The Martian takes place in the universe of The Expanse.

Oh you fucker, I literally clicked onto this thread to post this :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

By the same author so it's not *that* surprising, but the comedy series Dr. Slump does, in fact, take place on Dragonball Earth.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Simpsons and Futurama were initially intended to be *mutually fictional* to each other (i.e. they each had toys and such appear in the other), but did eventually cross over.

Also of note, Matt Groening's comic strip, Life in Hell, has a character appear in Futurama and the above crossover, but in Simpsons has only appeared as either toys or in Treehouse of Horrors otherwise (so would fit with the prior mutually fictional status quo).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Iroscato wrote:

That... is fucking awesome.

So I suppose that means that The Expanse is the canonical sequel to The Martian.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Iroscato wrote:

That... is fucking awesome.

So I suppose that means that The Expanse is the canonical sequel to The Martian.
Essentially, yes, abliet several centuries removed. It also applies to the movie/TV show.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)