A fun SF webcomic- Star Power

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: A fun SF webcomic- Star Power

Post by Zixinus »

The thing about the Star Power is that it, unlike the ST Federation, was created with a purpose in mind that was not aligned to any particular species. The Enterprise represents humanity and the Federation. The Star Power represents itself. Not to mention that the Gate is a product of the Star Power and thus evidence of interference. The conflict clearly involves the Gate, so any claim to neutrality has been shot in the foot.

The most morally right answer here would be to try and stop the fight, if by nothing else than to drag apart the combatants and place them far away from each other until Danica can learn what the hell is going on. Delay and act as a buffer (while defending the gate) until she can gain enough information to make any decision at all, never mind figure out which one she should take.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Zixinus wrote:The thing about the Star Power is that it, unlike the ST Federation, was created with a purpose in mind that was not aligned to any particular species. The Enterprise represents humanity and the Federation. The Star Power represents itself. Not to mention that the Gate is a product of the Star Power and thus evidence of interference. The conflict clearly involves the Gate, so any claim to neutrality has been shot in the foot.
Though the Star Power does have an allegiance to a stable and healthy galactic society- that is to say, I don't think the creators would want to compromise the Millennium Federation and embroil it in the war to stop the conflict, even if stopping the conflict is itself a priority.
The most morally right answer here would be to try and stop the fight, if by nothing else than to drag apart the combatants and place them far away from each other until Danica can learn what the hell is going on. Delay and act as a buffer (while defending the gate) until she can gain enough information to make any decision at all, never mind figure out which one she should take.
Agreed, though I'm not sure how well she'd do at splitting them up at this point. The old Sentinels could put up much larger barriers than Danica currently can, and her upgrade's not done yet.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Actually, one person she could grab is one of the greenies. The purples will go DEATH BEFORE CAPTIVITY! before she could even finish a question.

I think that the overall solution to the conflict might be to destroy or disassemble the Gate. It is clearly the goal of the purples and thus its destruction would mean that the purples have nothing to fight for. Or at least no reason to advance. Of course the species could be more senseless than that and almost nothing that Danica can do might stop the conflict.
Though the Star Power does have an allegiance to a stable and healthy galactic society- that is to say, I don't think the creators would want to compromise the Millennium Federation and embroil it in the war to stop the conflict, even if stopping the conflict is itself a priority.
Bringing the Millennium Federation into this is a completely separate thing. The thing is, that they could be a neutral party in this and a competent one. Danica is obviously blundering around but they have intelligence people and maybe people with diplomatic training on-board. And they COULD deny that Danica is under their command.
Agreed, though I'm not sure how well she'd do at splitting them up at this point. The old Sentinels could put up much larger barriers than Danica currently can, and her upgrade's not done yet.
What I was thinking was literary grab purples or greenies, but a more efficient step would be to talk to the greenie commander and order a retreat that Danica can cover. The gate is undefended and nearly taken, so a regrouping and entrenching there would make military sense for the moment.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Zixinus wrote:Actually, one person she could grab is one of the greenies. The purples will go DEATH BEFORE CAPTIVITY! before she could even finish a question.

I think that the overall solution to the conflict might be to destroy or disassemble the Gate. It is clearly the goal of the purples and thus its destruction would mean that the purples have nothing to fight for. Or at least no reason to advance. Of course the species could be more senseless than that and almost nothing that Danica can do might stop the conflict.
It may be both sides have reason to expect very poor treatment for any captives.
Bringing the Millennium Federation into this is a completely separate thing. The thing is, that they could be a neutral party in this and a competent one. Danica is obviously blundering around but they have intelligence people and maybe people with diplomatic training on-board. And they COULD deny that Danica is under their command.
Indeed, and the MF even has experience with this, with formerly civil-warring cultures now members in good standing. Though it took them a few centuries last time...
What I was thinking was literary grab purples or greenies, but a more efficient step would be to talk to the greenie commander and order a retreat that Danica can cover. The gate is undefended and nearly taken, so a regrouping and entrenching there would make military sense for the moment.

Hm, or taking some flashy action to break up the gunfight.... if she fires in between them they might both pause to regroup.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Well that information-gathering bit got short-circuited quickly.
Credo!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

She's bringing both sides into agreement!

Uh, kinda ^^
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What I am getting from the story's overall point is how both sides being terrible to each other has created more hatred that kept the conflict escelating. Look at the little girl and how cheerful she was to announce her commitment to genocide. When your house and family got blasted to shit, plus being immersed in that kind of environment, it's hard to blame her.

The thing is that I can't see any way for this conflict to end other than an powerful third-party interviening and enforcing peace. The Millenium Federation could do that, if it wanted to and is actually able to. The Wonderer is an exploration ship, not a warship so that might not be enough in terms of sheer force (unless orbital borbardment would happen but I fail to see how that would be better).
Credo!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea, short of it going on so long people become war weary, and they aren't yet.

And I figure the ship probably has a fair sized amount of defenses since it is going into hostile turf.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You're assuming the two races have the ability to travel to space. I don't even think they had the tech to make the Scorpion Tanks. Both refugees say the tanks were "found", which makes me think it was LostTech, like the Gate.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-07-19 12:50am You're assuming the two races have the ability to travel to space. I don't even think they had the tech to make the Scorpion Tanks. Both refugees say the tanks were "found", which makes me think it was LostTech, like the Gate.
Hm, possibly. Maybe some outside source is supplying them even....

Oh yea, another possible resolution- We won't let them spread their slaughter elsewhere is one of the motives. The Millennium Federation could decide to... let one side through and just separate them. Depends a bit on total numbers, of course.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It also depends on where the other gate opens. Habitable planet with non-sentient population, plenty of space, undiscovered and unclaimed? Fine. But a populated world? One already claimed? And requires to take in a large influx of genocidal, war-ready, xenophobes with god-knows-what kind of equipment? Not a good recipe.
Credo!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Zixinus wrote: 2017-07-19 03:39pm It also depends on where the other gate opens. Habitable planet with non-sentient population, plenty of space, undiscovered and unclaimed? Fine. But a populated world? One already claimed? And requires to take in a large influx of genocidal, war-ready, xenophobes with god-knows-what kind of equipment? Not a good recipe.
It sounds like their equipment is less-than-impressive. If their numbers aren't too big, the Millennium Federation could probably transport them whereever.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

UPGRADE!!!
And wow does she look dangerous. :luv:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

To be frank, she was dangerous before. Her uniform (or not?) was misleading. Anything that has casually the power to fly in vacuum and send energy beams out of its hand lacks power only because there is a cap on it. Cap is off a bit now. She's still a one-woman force that will have to pacify two armies at once. Wonder how will that turn out.
Credo!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Two armies who were fighting over the land of a peacefully-existing merger of the two 'races'. Yeah, I am really not sympathetic to either of them right now... and less to the one that invaded because it got pissy over "Their culture is taking over mine! PUT THEM IN CAMPS!"

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I wonder if she has a bunch of modes, and this is just the one that applied here.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

With the current arc done, I'd say I enjoyed that a lot, it was emotionally solid.

They're obviously going to return to the war, so I wonder what the next step will be- and if that's Danica's next step, or if there'll be a breather. Well, I assume step one is helping the refugees...
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »