"Class" (Doctor Who spin-off) premier.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate the premier?

5-Fantastic!
No votes
4-Good.
17%
3-Wibbly-Wobbly.
67%
2-Poor.
No votes
1-No More.
17%

Total votes: 6

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

"Class" (Doctor Who spin-off) premier.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So, "Class" premiers tonight.

What little we know leaves me rather unenthusiastic, but not actively off-put, so I figure I'll give it a chance, especially since we are in the middle of a whole fucking year with not a single new Doctor Who episode (I wonder if that timing was deliberate- probably).

Edited to add poll.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: "Class" (Doctor Who spin-off) premier.

No one else watched this?

Well, here are my thoughts, reposting my mini-review from the Nationstates forum:

I caught part of the first and all of the second, and I'm not entirely sold- it struck me as messy, confusing, and sometimes hammy and predictable/cliched, and I don't like the gratuitous gore that they seem to be going for.

That said, their were some nice moments of characterization, and I love how the second episode avoided the teen adventure/superhero cliche of Spoiler
a character hiding what's going on from their loved ones for forever.
Also, the jokes at the expense of soccer. I get the sense that whoever's writing this show isn't a fan. :)

I don't think they're doing themselves any favours by deliberately invoking Buffy, though- don't remind people of the superior show that you're obviously trying to ape.

Still, I give the first episode a pass simply for having Peter Capaldi show up, after so long without a new Doctor Who episode.

Still, the show has yet to convince me that it can stand on its own, without having the Doctor prop it up or aping the classics. But a lot of good shows had rough starts, and it wasn't so horrible that I'm unwilling to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Also, interesting in that it seems to take place at Clara's old job but without (thankfully) any appearance by Clara thus far.

Edited to add spoiler warning.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I'm predicting a single season for this - I may check it out if I find myself with literally nothing else to do :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I don't think it was so bad that it'll only last a season, not with the strength of the Doctor Who brand propping it up.

I mean, Enterprise was probably worse, even if we presume that the show doesn't improve from where its currently at, and it got four seasons out of riding the coattails of a dying franchise.

Of course, history shows that quality has little to do with a show's longevity, as any Firefly fan can tell you at bitter length.

Edits: I'll add, though, that as much as it was a treat to Spoiler
see Twelve in action again, the fact that the first episode was basically ended by the Doctor bailing out the new cast single handedly doesn't really set a good precedent.
:lol: Okay, that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote:No one else watched this?
I don't think I have a means to access it at present. Which is unfortunate, because I'd at least like to check it out.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It seems it won't air in the US until 2017 (sorry). Its currently airing in the UK, Canada, and Australia.

Guess this is the price America pays for rebelling against Britain. ;)

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I do think that despite my fairly critical review, with a little polish, this show could quite nicely fill the long gaps (a year, seriously?) that often occur between new Doctor Who episodes. Much like how Marvel used Agent Carter to plug the mid-season break in Agents of SHIELD's seasons.

Edit: Though their's a fine line to be tread in terms of how tied in to the larger Who Universe it is. Obviously, it needs to stand on its own, and it would be unreasonable to expect the Doctor to show up every few episodes. But it would be nice, especially if they're using the show to fill the gaps in Who's schedule, to keep it feeling connected to the larger universe- occasional appearances by old companions, or UNIT, or something, maybe even just drop the occasional name or gag. Or the odd familiar monster (careful about the Daleks though- I think these kids surviving a run in with a Dalek at this point would badly strain credulity).

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I do think that despite my fairly critical review, with a little polish, this show could quite nicely fill the long gaps (a year, seriously?) that often occur between new Doctor Who episodes.
I once waited nearly 20 years to see a new-to-me episode... so while I'd prefer not to wait a whole year I can certainly bear it if I have to.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Heh. I suppose.

I didn't start watching Who until the new series, and I'll admit that I find the unevenness of Who's schedule rather irritating. And bad marketing. Frankly, it seems a testament to how beloved Who is and what an iconic status it has that it can maintain a viable audience with such an erratic schedule.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

So far is reminds me a little of Torchwood season 1 although with excessive gore rather than sex.

I think it takes itself maybe a little to seriously although Quill is fun comic relief so far.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Quill has potential, yes. Hell, all of the major characters have aspects that could be very interesting, with good writing.

But yes, I think the gore is a little excessive.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Class 2 is on iplayer, and 3 comes out tonight. Wife and I both watched the first and will probably watch the next. I asked if she thought it was taking itself to seriously? She looked at me. "Madd0c0tr, it's a Dr Who Spin off. How can they can take it seriously?"

Still, most of the characters are established and have a stake and an arc ahead of them (except the gay Polish guy, who's in the group because... why?)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Watched the second and third episode. They seem to be going for an episode per character with secondary focuses on the previous week and setting up the coming week. It's quite visible as a structure but effective nonetheless.

It feels very much like a sci-fi skin of a good monsterhearts game. It's very much a show about the bonds between people than the puzzle/violence of monster of the week.

Episode two had a neat bit of mystery going on, and episode three too, to a lesser but much funnier extent. A little bit of drip feeding over arching plot too. Which I'll leave unless people want spoilers.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Broomstick wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:No one else watched this?
I don't think I have a means to access it at present. Which is unfortunate, because I'd at least like to check it out.
I didn't even know about it, until I hit "Active Topics" , though no pay-tv here, so I hit the link sites just now and

[Redacted ~ NL]
but NOT
[Redacted ~ NL]

downloaded the first three episodes, won't have time to get to them until
later, maybe even as late as this coming Saturday.

Available on torrents..example:
[Redacted ~ NL]

Remember, use an unrestricted downloader service [my preference] or a VPN.
Plus something like FDM.
Safe Surfing!
Old Fart, used to be Space Cowboy [see Battle Beyond the Stars,1980 for reference]
Now transplanted from Usenet re: alt.startrek.vs.starwars . & Übernerd
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Browncoat: Warning for violating PR2
PR2. Do Not Flout The Law. This is not an "underground" forum. Do not brag about criminal activity, incite criminal activity, solicit or offer pirated software, etc.
Please have regard to the official board policies thread in the announcement forum for further information.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I caught the last episode, after missing everything since the first two. Found it a bit hard to follow, naturally, but some initial thoughts:

I still find the way this series is paced/edited quite jarring. It also still seems like they're going too much for shock value at times.

There's a hell of a body count among the secondary characters this show is racking up. Its quite depressing really.

Quill kicks ass, literally and figuratively. :D

Was that the season finale already? It felt like a season finale.

Damn British TV series and their mini-seasons. :D

The Shadow Kin actually turned out to be reasonably menacing and effective villains, if rather lacking in depth from what I've seen.

A very interesting parallel between Charlie's choice to use the Cabinet to commit genocide, wishing to die and being told that he will instead have to live with that choice, and the Doctor's actions at the end of the Time War. The parallel isn't stated outright, but it would be obvious to anyone familiar with Who. I felt that that was a nice nod to the source material.

And, um... Holy shit, Spoiler
Weeping Angel.
Edit: I will add that those last couple points made this episode finally feel a bit more like it was part of the Doctor Who universe, while until then it felt more like "generic high school monster show" to me.

Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

I'm not sold on it, honestly.
The students seemed to win just by either sheer luck or shouting at things. It's not like they're the Doctor or ... oh, hold on. That's how the Doctor wins a lot of the time.
Lots of craziness publically happening in a fairly local area, an are known to be visited by the Doctor a fair bit. So why isn't UNIT swarming the place?

I have a long standing opinion that there's no such thing as a good child actor. Including teenagers. This show really isn't doing anything to prove me wrong. The only character I find myself appreciating is Quill and she's meant to be the borderline bad guy.

I'm also not sold on the SFX, especially when the girl gets the shadow eye effect. It just looks cheap and nasty. I'm also not sold about the SPOILER reveal of who is behind the Governors. A species that is very much not for working with other species or even formulating long term plans? This sort of caper seems to be much more up the Silence's alley rather than who it was.

EDIT: I see this sort of show and all I can think of is why do we have this when there's never been a UNIT series? UNIT would be great and you already have some great actors set in roles.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Parallax wrote:I'm not sold on it, honestly.
The students seemed to win just by either sheer luck or shouting at things. It's not like they're the Doctor or ... oh, hold on. That's how the Doctor wins a lot of the time.
Indeed it is.

Although in the finale, at least, Charlie and Quill won partly by having and being willing to use firepower, which is a bit outside the Doctor's usual modus operandi. And Quill at least is actually a competent fighter. Without that, they'd have gotten butchered en mass.

The show's a bit rough, but not so bad that I'm unwilling to give it a chance to improve. Lord knows enough shows have had first seasons that fell short of what they later achieved.
Lots of craziness publically happening in a fairly local area, an are known to be visited by the Doctor a fair bit. So why isn't UNIT swarming the place?
To be honest, that's a question that arises every single time something big in Who happens on modern Earth and UNIT doesn't show up.

Maybe someone has infiltrated UNIT and is steering them away from these things? Could be a good long-term plot line.
I have a long standing opinion that there's no such thing as a good child actor. Including teenagers. This show really isn't doing anything to prove me wrong. The only character I find myself appreciating is Quill and she's meant to be the borderline bad guy.
That's a hell of a generalization, and in any case, "teenagers" on TV are often played by older actors (on Buffy, I think most of the main cast was in their 20s or even 30s when the show started).

And I don't think they're that bad on "Class". Overacting a bit sometimes, maybe, but this whole show has a problem with ham and excess melodrama, in my opinion. Odds are that at least some of that is on the writing/directing, not just the actors.
I'm also not sold on the SFX, especially when the girl gets the shadow eye effect. It just looks cheap and nasty. I'm also not sold about the SPOILER reveal of who is behind the Governors. A species that is very much not for working with other species or even formulating long term plans? This sort of caper seems to be much more up the Silence's alley rather than who it was.
Eh, seemed like typical TV SFX to me, with the usual Whoverse level of cheese.

As to the Angel, I more got the sense that the Angel was working for the Governors, not vice versa. Though that begs the question of who could control a Weeping Angel.

Though we do see in both "Blink" and the season five two-parter that they are capable of a degree of plotting.

I think this is a case of "we need to wait and see what happens".
EDIT: I see this sort of show and all I can think of is why do we have this when there's never been a UNIT series? UNIT would be great and you already have some great actors set in roles.
Well, yes. I wouldn't mind a UNIT show at all.

B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

The impression I got was that the angels are just footsoldiers of/for The Arrival.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION