Anyone else read the Grand Central Arena series?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Anyone else read the Grand Central Arena series?

Post by Q99 »

by Ryk Spoor?

It's a new, very entertaining space opera I'm super-into, with a megaconstruct more interesting than most (it does a lot more than 'be big' and 'hold people'), and a surprisingly well-developed postscarcity/transhuman solar system besides.

And I love-love-love the Hyperion concept!

The third book's coming up soon, so I was hoping we could get some discussion going ^^
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Anyone else read the Grand Central Arena series?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

What kind of tech base is it playing with?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:What kind of tech base is it playing with?
The Solar System- and most aliens- have ubiquitous nanite-assemblers (Called 'AIwish,' and serving a role somewhat akin to Star Trek replicators in building what's needed, though with more limits) and AI assistants (many of them around human-level intelligence, and often installed in people's heads as partners/assistants. There are rules about non-dumb AI not being allowed to operate without human supervision). Biomodification is commonplace. There's a number of space station habitats, and in-system travel is fairly common (using nuclear reactors for power mostly). The main character is a professional space racer.

Humans have just achieved FTL, which takes the first ship to the titular Arena (as one of the aliens they meet dubs it). The other known aliens are all species that themselves have FTL. Implication is their tech is relatively similar to human's in general type, though likely more refined.

For visitors to the Arena, what can be used is more limited. AI don't function there, and there's various other limits, so one has to operate with tighter constraints.

The tech involved in the construction of the Arena itself and it's capabilities is.... significantly more impressive, and mysterious, and I won't go into all the details in the first post. Possibly the biggest thing, all FTL ends up there, as well as providing environments for all the species.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Oh yea, other stuff on technology- Personal weapons are still largely projectile-based, though better than ours. Personal body armor is carbon-ring-composite (i.e. nanotubes). Small flying vehicles use control surfaces and/or thrusters as appropriate. They don't have artificial gravity or inertialess drives (though the Arena itself does). Humans have longer lifespans, faster reflexes, etc., but aren't immortal.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I own the series, but have not gotten around to reading it.

I found it amusing that Ryk Spoor used a character named "Marc C. DuQuesne," who was one of the founding, definitive villains of space opera when Doc Smith wrote him in the '20s and '30s. I DO hope Spoor's depiction lives up to the standard.

It's a bit like some guy in the 2060s or 2070s naming a character "Darth Vader" in a non-Star Wars production- you just hope that this guy is a suitably formidable and scary villain.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Simon_Jester wrote:I own the series, but have not gotten around to reading it.

I found it amusing that Ryk Spoor used a character named "Marc C. DuQuesne," who was one of the founding, definitive villains of space opera when Doc Smith wrote him in the '20s and '30s. I DO hope Spoor's depiction lives up to the standard.

It's a bit like some guy in the 2060s or 2070s naming a character "Darth Vader" in a non-Star Wars production- you just hope that this guy is a suitably formidable and scary villain.
Ok, minor spoiler- The guy is named after Marc C. DuQuesne. In-plot. For reasons.

There's some other less direct references to other things, but Skylark-the-fictional-series exists in universe, and being familiar with it will inform you on some aspects.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, I can respect a fan.

I still hope he lives up to the name.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Well, I can respect a fan.

I still hope he lives up to the name.
Spoiler thing of background revealed in the first book-
Spoiler
Marc DuQuense is one of the results of the Hyperion project, an attempt to make real-life superhumans based on fictional characters (from all eras- some from myth, some from recent-to-them fictions made up for the story, a few from our time), genetically engineered from the ground up and raised in virtual worlds based on modified versions of their stories to shape them as the researchers wanted. Not perfectly the characters, they are living people after all... but close.

This project was shut down for being massively unethical (imagine purposefully putting someone through Batman's childhood, or Hercules' marriage), and only some of the Hyperions were able to adapt to the real world. So what does Marc C. DuQuense do if he discovers his origins are a lie, his rivalry with Dick Seaton and their competing spaceships made up?

That's right, he signs up for the first real FTL ship.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Q99 wrote:[snip spoiler]
Well then, clearly if DuQuesne doesn't live up to the name it is literally all the author's fault.

And Spoor's pretty good when paired with Flint, so I hope that's a good sign. :D
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I haven't read the original, but I will say *this* DuQuense is pretty awesome :)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The old DuQuesne was about as badass, ruthless, and competent a villain as could plausibly be written by a pulp SF author.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

GCA DuQuense is one I do not think you need worry about in badassness, ruthlessness, or competence!
Spoiler
Though all affected by *this* Marc knowing how much of his life was fiction, what happened to him at Hyperion, and other factors. So even so, he's not Marc 1.0.
Here is the Japanese cover, which is a fairly good representation of the characters (not exactly on all details, but Ryk likes it).

That's Marc in the upper left.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Ok, I'm re-reading it, and I just got to the event that I think would sell you on GCA Marc :) You may be hesitant on him before this point, when he's pretty much hiding what he is, but then X happens and there I'll bet you'll be sold.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Oh yea, I am informed Marc is actually from a Skylark/Lensman mashup. This may be pertinent information!