Greg Rucka's Lazarus- The near-future comic you should be readin

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Greg Rucka's Lazarus- The near-future comic you should be readin

Post by Q99 »

Lazarus. It takes place a hundred or so years in the future, where economic collapse, the 'dissolution wars,' and the rise of corporate monopoly powerhouses have left the world's wealth- and power- collected in the hands of a handful of ultrawealthy Families, signers of the 'Macau accords' where they reached an agreement on their rule of conduct that helped lead to their rise to dominance. Supporting these Families are champions, called Lazarus, transhuman individuals enhanced with the best technology their family has to offer to serve as the tip of their Family's sword and instrument of their will. In the case of House Carlyle, holder of the Western half of the former US and Canada, this is Forever 'Eve' Carlyle, the star of the comic.

It's a comic by Greg Rucka, one of the real greats, and I've seen it described as a fantasy Game of Throne. I've been super-digging it for awhile, it's a really engrossing story with strong arcs and tons of background material- each comic even has an in-universe ad in the back.

Anyone else read it, or have any questions? I can also post links to some samples, if there's interest ^^
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Greg Rucka's Lazarus- The near-future comic you should be readin

Post by Tsyroc »

I've been reading the trade paperbacks. As far as I know I'm up to the most recent release. (It looks like book 5 doesn't come out until the beginning of the year).

I've really liked it so far. The idea of family members (essentially the only real citizens), serfs (people of use) and everyone else who has little to no value is an interesting and believable dystopian future society.

The different houses having their tech speciality is pretty cool, with House Carlyle having a certain tech edge that allows the family members to not age. That the houses have agreements where they supposedly aren't allowed to poach each other's tech is kind of amusing considered how cut throat they are, and it proves to be one of those type of agreements that stays in effect only when the consequences of breaking that agreement are more important to the house family members than the benefits of getting a bit of the other family's speciality.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Tsyroc wrote:I've been reading the trade paperbacks. As far as I know I'm up to the most recent release. (It looks like book 5 doesn't come out until the beginning of the year).
The most recent TPB is the 'Poison,' arc I believe.

The single issues are partway through 'Cull' right now- there was a 6 month gap between the end of Poison and the start of Cull, during which a sourcebook issue on the Carlyles was released.

You're mostly up to date on major events, but a few things have happened since, aftermath of the end of Poison stuff.
I've really liked it so far. The idea of family members (essentially the only real citizens), serfs (people of use) and everyone else who has little to no value is an interesting and believable dystopian future society.

The different houses having their tech speciality is pretty cool, with House Carlyle having a certain tech edge that allows the family members to not age. That the houses have agreements where they supposedly aren't allowed to poach each other's tech is kind of amusing considered how cut throat they are, and it proves to be one of those type of agreements that stays in effect only when the consequences of breaking that agreement are more important to the house family members than the benefits of getting a bit of the other family's speciality.
Yes, if poaching was allowed, the families would tear each other apart in corporate espionage warfare... not that I think they *don't* poach, they're just subtle about it, and not that they don't war, it just would happen sooner and more constantly ^^

I have the impression that Morray probably has the best (or among the best?) military tech in the technological/mechanical sense, best vehicles and all that. Carlyle's genetics tech seems to be the best strategic edge out there, considering how it helps them on food, and the longevity lure they can dangle for others. Hock's chemicals aren't too far behind in usefulness, though.

And of course the setup also means that the Houses will independently develop pretty similar things... I bet everyone has programmers working up new security programs 24/7.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Been reading it since it started, as Rucka rarely disappoints. The world-building is excellent and everything thoroughly researched (even the Big Duel was deeply researched). Though I recall him commenting after one bit of research that he was growing uncomfortable with how 'close' this future seemed.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Majin Gojira wrote:Been reading it since it started, as Rucka rarely disappoints. The world-building is excellent and everything thoroughly researched (even the Big Duel was deeply researched). Though I recall him commenting after one bit of research that he was growing uncomfortable with how 'close' this future seemed.
The letters columns in the back of the issues I find to be well worth reading, the insights and tech talk can be interesting.

And just two more days til the next issue. Really looking forward to it, I think we're going to meet a new Lazarus ^^
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

New issue!

On the one hand, we have the reporter character, and it's interesting because we've seen her from in-universe advertisements and such for awhile. We've finally got a personality to go with the face!

On the other part of the issue, we have (horrific spoilers).
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I've read the first three TPBs. Ever since Whiteout and Queen & Country, he's been on my must-read list.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sounds interesting.

Rucka was the chap who wrote the novelization of Batman's "No Man's Land" arc, wasn't he? Decent book, I enjoyed it. I'll have to check this out.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Sounds interesting.

Rucka was the chap who wrote the novelization of Batman's "No Man's Land" arc, wasn't he? Decent book, I enjoyed it. I'll have to check this out.
He was, yes. He also did 'Gotham Central,' the comic about the Gotham police department, and a number of others.