DW "Power of the Daleks" Returns!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

DW "Power of the Daleks" Returns!

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

So yeah, those rumours that the BBC were animating this lost story? Totally true:
Doctor Who’ first look: Watch trailer for new ‘The Power of the Daleks’ animation

BBC Worldwide has unveiled a trailer for the new animated version of missing Doctor Who story ‘The Power of the Daleks’.

Patrick Troughton’s debut as the Doctor will be released later this year as a digital download on BBC Store and then on BBC DVD.

Having originally aired in 1966, no complete film recordings of ‘The Power of the Daleks’ are known to have survived after the master negatives were destroyed in an archive purge in 1974.
Doctor Who Power of the Daleks

BBC Worldwide announced last night that a brand new black and white animation based on audio recordings of the programme using the original cast, surviving photographs and film clips will be released 50 years to the minute after its only UK broadcast on BBC One.

The six half-hour episodes feature the regeneration, or as it was then called ‘renewal’, of First Doctor William Hartnell into Second Doctor Patrick Troughton, as the Time Lord and his companions Polly (Anneke Wills) and Ben (Michael Craze) do battle with the Daleks on the planet Vulcan.

The animation is being produced by the team behind the highly successful animation of lost Dad’s Army episode ‘A Stripe For Frazer’, which was released in February this year.

Producer Charles Norton commented: “’The Power of the Daleks’ animation is the most ambitious Doctor Who archive restoration ever attempted and we’re all very honoured to be a part of such a an exciting project. Intelligent, suspenseful and magnificently staged, ‘Power of the Daleks’ is one of the great lost classics of 1960s television and a superb example of the black and white era at its finest.”

Paul Hembury, Executive Producer, BBC Worldwide added: “Charles and his team are remarkably talented and passionate about Doctor Who and we are thrilled that fans will soon be able to enjoy this rather sinister but wonderful, classic story.”
Doctor Who The Power of the Daleks

‘The Power of the Daleks’ will be released on BBC Store on Saturday 5 November and on DVD on Monday 21 November.

A special screening of the first three episodes ‘The Power of the Daleks’ will be held at BFI Southbank in London on Saturday 5 November, including a Q&A with Anneke Wills, Charles Norton and Frazer Hines.
And the trailer (short as it is) for those not bothered to click the link:

It is hard to accurately describe how delighted this makes me. In fact, mere words do not describe it, scientific notation is needed: I find this to be approximately 2.45E7 on the Fonzie scale of cool.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: DW "Power of the Daleks" Returns!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I wonder if a script had survived or for that matter if they have had people who remember the blocking, scene/camera changes, etc. Should be cool nonetheless.

Though I have to say, I am not necessarily a fan of the animation style they are using.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

With this out, I guess I can toss out the old recording of the episode I have finally!

*Tosses out window, after setting on fire*

*Just kidding*
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Soontir C'boath wrote:I wonder if a script had survived or for that matter if they have had people who remember the blocking, scene/camera changes, etc. Should be cool nonetheless.

Though I have to say, I am not necessarily a fan of the animation style they are using.
An audio recording survives, as does the script. And I think there's a teleprint.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am so getting this on DVD.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Its being screened now in some cinemas. Wonder how many people will see. Personally I will get the dvd.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I might go see it if its screened near me.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I caught the first part on BBC America- Sorta surprised they didn't add more effects for the regeneration, but regardless- The Regeneration!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

My DVD arrived today, a day early, woo!

Sadly, I already made plans tonight, so it will have to wait till tomorrow...sniff...

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

So, watched it tonight....ahem...

FUCKING. AWESOME.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Troughton has become my all time favorite Doctor, and it's a shame we lost so much of the original versions of his years as Doctor. I've seen animated reconstructions from the BBC before and while I'm entirely enthused by the animation style I have found them well done.

So... worth the purchase price, my friends? (Still have to get myself a copy of Enemy of the World.)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yes. Definitely. The animation is of the same quality as the reconstructed episodes of The Invasion and The Ice Warriors and is more than adequate.

It's one thing to have listened to some of the audio, read the plot, seen the few pictures. But to actually watch it...that is definitely worth the price.

Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

I guess my memory has become fuzzy, but the previous animated reconstruction jobs seemed much more polished than what was done for this. It had the jerky quality of South Park.

Only part I am not enthused is when the Examiner is killed and Troughton stands there like an idiot not taking cover and that the assailant seems to be in view of the Doctor when he did it. It seemed like no one questioned the blocking of the scene.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Broomstick wrote:Still have to get myself a copy of Enemy of the World.)
Do so - it's very good indeed.
What is WRONG with you people
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, I know - I have seen it, just don't own it (yet).
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Once again Australia proves why we are behind. Went to Jb Hi fi while passing through, asked about the Power of the Daleks, and found out we don't receive it until December 14, like 3 weeks after the UK gets it. Ugggh.

Soontir C'boath

mr friendly guy wrote:Once again Australia proves why we are behind. Went to Jb Hi fi while passing through, asked about the Power of the Daleks, and found out we don't receive it until December 14, like 3 weeks after the UK gets it. Ugggh.
According to BBC America's own shop, they will not release it until the 31st of January, so we have you beat there. At least we can watch on their website though at the moment it seems to be borked for me.