Stranger Things (spoilers etc)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Stranger Things (spoilers etc)

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Netflix's new "John Carpenter meets Steven Spielberg" series "Stranger Things" rules. It makes no effort to place its love for early 80s sci-fi and horror media anywhere other than on its sleeve, and while it's not going to reinvent anything that era did, it sort of manages to fuse genres from that period seamlessly and get them right in the pocket without any convolution or excess. It's the kind of homage that avoids feeling cliched or like any kind of cheap guilty pleasure because the pacing and the characterization pull you right in and make you give a shit.

If anyone isn't familiar with the premise, it's simple enough: four kids in 1983 Indiana finish up a DND campaign late one evening, and one of them goes missing that night after leaving the DM's house to bike home. Already the image of the preteen boys on their bikes can't help but evoke a bit of "ET", which is intentional without feeling hackneyed, but in some ways the events surrounding his disappearance have a bit less Spielbergian whimsy and a bit more of the kind of eerie, otherworldly menace you might feel from Twin Peaks or The X-Files. When we're immediately thereafter introduced to an above-top-secret Department of Energy project in the midst of sprawling black ops damage control, headed up by Matthew Modine, the menace is unmistakable and the hooks are in.

A series anchored around child actors can be a dicey proposal to produce, because child actors need to not only be technically capable but also simply not annoying to watch episode after episode, and it's a real relief to say that the principal child cast is a delight to watch. They have that Spielberg mojo on lock, being both wonderstruck and cunning without coming off as calculated smart-alecks who're benefiting far too much from having writers labor over what sort of sassy bon mots to line up for them, for maximum "zing." Really the cast has no weak links whatsoever that stand out; the worst thing you can say about them is that they're sawing away at somewhat shopworn tropes, like the frantic grieving mother played by Winona Ryder or the disheveled everyman sheriff with a secret played by David Harbour, but in the context of this show they come across warmly and self-aware rather than phoned in old chestnuts.

I've only seen up to the end of episode four, and I plan on devouring the final four this evening or the next at the latest; even so that's well enough into the series for me to be able to spoil plenty if I'm not careful here. For the time being I'm going to avoid posting spoilers until I get a sense of where everyone else is at, but I can't speak for anyone else who plans on posting here. The only thing I feel comfortable sharing is what's already being plastered around all the entertainment review sites who're gushing over the show so far, which is that
Spoiler
This season ends on a cliffhanger and Netflix has ordered a 13-episode second season
And if they keep up the standard they've been maintaining for the last four episodes, I'll be in dire need of the next thirteen ASAP.

Thoughts?
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Re: Stranger Things (spoilers etc)

Post by Minischoles »

I really enjoyed the season, marathonned it in one day.

The best way i've described it to friends is; imagine an ET era Spielberg decided to adapt a Stephen King story.

The whole aspect of the show feels so Spielberg I honestly had to check if he was involved; the directors and writers perfectly capture his earlier works.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

There's more than just Spielberg, King and Carpenter in there, though; I know I already mentioned Twin Peaks and the X-Files, but there's also connective tissue to 80's anime and Lovecraft as well. Really, nothing goes to waste or comes off as superfluous.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

About 2/3rds way through. It's ok, not really wowing me.

I find the 80's sound track, especially the main track annoying. They kids are cute and are doing a great job; however, the stand there sulking with the two bullies is on coming across as authentic. Wouldn't be a big deal but they've done it 3 or 4 times now with the last being the whole 'stand up to the bully' stick with a slight twist at the end. Winnona and Harbour are putting in solid performances, and oddly enough the plight of the teenage girl Barb and her friend Nacy are the most interesting plot right now with a dash of future romance with the Jon kid.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I don't really understand the "rules" that govern travel between the material world and the "Upside Down" world.

Some random observations:
- El was performing remote viewing to spy on a Soviet officer's conversation, when the creature somehow spotted her
- A second visit was performed to make contact with the creature to ascertain whether it would be friendly (it wasn't)
- This opened the portal between worlds in the facility basement
- However, the creature later appears to be able to open portals between the two worlds almost at will, which includes semi-persistent portals (like the tree trunk), or alternatively, simply disappear from one world and appear in the other (wall ambushes, escape from the bear trap).
- What did the creature's diet consist of prior to El bridging the worlds?

Is it the only one of its kind?
Once it knew that the material world existed, was there no way to seal it off or stop it, barring destroying the creature itself?

Also, does its durability appear to be mystical? It resisted vast quantities of gunfire, and although admittedly it was mostly 9x19mm from short barrels, it didn't appear to have any visible wounds. Seems kind of weird that the government blokes didn't pack some rifles with powerful ammunition to take down the creature.
Its final destruction didn't seem to involve simply physically tearing it apart, but attacking it in some other way that also drained El a lot more than usual (apparently fatally, in her already weakened state).
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Cykeisme wrote:I don't really understand the "rules" that govern travel between the material world and the "Upside Down" world.
A tightrope walker can't casually walk upside down on a tightrope, but a flea can go on any part of the rope it likes. That's what the science teacher is strongly implying with his illustration; the creature from the Upside Down is the Flea.
- What did the creature's diet consist of prior to El bridging the worlds?
Maybe the ecosystem in its world is collapsing and until now was able to sustain it, or maybe it's been raiding other dimensions. It's not clarified but nothing outside of the SoD established in this setting.
Is it the only one of its kind?
Word of God from the Duffer Brothers at this moment is that it is, but that could change between now and season 2.
Also, does its durability appear to be mystical? It resisted vast quantities of gunfire, and although admittedly it was mostly 9x19mm from short barrels, it didn't appear to have any visible wounds. Seems kind of weird that the government blokes didn't pack some rifles with powerful ammunition to take down the creature.
Why would they bring anything other than standard kit, knowing as little as they did about the creature at that time? There was plenty of them and I wouldn't blame them for thinking their sheer numbers would be sufficient.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

A tightrope walker can't casually walk upside down on a tightrope, but a flea can go on any part of the rope it likes. That's what the science teacher is strongly implying with his illustration; the creature from the Upside Down is the Flea.
Was the creature always able to travel between its world and ours at will?
Or did it only gain that ability after it first became aware of our world (or possibly, when El first punched a hole through worlds)?
If it was not not explicitly shown/stated, are there any clues that would seem to indicate one or the other?

I recall El apologizing to the boys after she admitted she was the one that opened the way between realms (I think they were in the junkyard at the time), which weakly suggests the monster was unable to come to our world prior to that (if only due to its ignorance of our world).

So that's my current interpretation.. the creature is a natural dimension-hopper (a "flea"), but that it could not visit our world at first. It only became able to once it became aware of our world, or possibly only after El opened the portal in the facility basement. What do you think?
Maybe the ecosystem in its world is collapsing and until now was able to sustain it, or maybe it's been raiding other dimensions. It's not clarified but nothing outside of the SoD established in this setting.
Word of God from the Duffer Brothers at this moment is that it is, but that could change between now and season 2.
Can't wait for the next season, and I hope more gaps are filled in our incomplete understanding of the bizarre creature and its its origin dimension!
Why would they bring anything other than standard kit, knowing as little as they did about the creature at that time? There was plenty of them and I wouldn't blame them for thinking their sheer numbers would be sufficient.
Good point, they did not have any reason to think that the 9mm submachine guns would be ineffective until the final showdown, where it's too late: they all end up being killed. El defeats the creature shortly after, anyway.
We (the audience) earlier discover that it is very resistant to .38 Special earlier when Jonathan, Nancy and Steve ambush it it in the real-world Byers house, but it slipped my mind that the government agents would have had no knowledge about that discovery.
I understand the horror movie idea of a monster being immune to conventional threats (like guns, fire, and bear traps :p ), but from an in-universe SoD perspective, I do wonder if 7.62 NATO or even .50 BMG would have had better effect on target.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

When El pins it to the chalkboard, I think we can see bulletholes in its chest. I'll have to rewatch, but it could be that the bullets were doing damage, but not hitting anything vital. Or the creature has a sort of regeneration healing factor that makes it really hard to put down.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Oh snap, I'll need to rewatch it too.

If the massive deluge of 9mm rounds were penetrating its skin (or skin-analogue) but failing to stop it, either getting lodged in its muscle tissue or the thing simply having very few internal organs and structures you can classify as "vital", then I guess that's both more realistic and way creepier.