Independence day resurgence - non spoiler

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Re: Independence day resurgence - non spoiler

Post by Cykeisme »

As I understand, planets (including Earth) are round only because gravity pulls its mass together, and thus a sphere is the most stable, lowest-energy state (in terms of gravitational potential energy) for a big collection of mass to have.

Thus, wouldn't the gravitational well of such a massive object coming near to Earth destabilize the planet, and cause the entire planet to deform, maybe even parts of it to breaking off to cling to the big alien ship?

The movie makes it look as though Earth is structurally rigid and stiff, almost like a marble or something..
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Yeah I kinda lost track of my game of "count the ELE's" as that thing was coming in
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Cykeisme wrote:As I understand, planets (including Earth) are round only because gravity pulls its mass together, and thus a sphere is the most stable, lowest-energy state (in terms of gravitational potential energy) for a big collection of mass to have.

Thus, wouldn't the gravitational well of such a massive object coming near to Earth destabilize the planet, and cause the entire planet to deform, maybe even parts of it to breaking off to cling to the big alien ship?

The movie makes it look as though Earth is structurally rigid and stiff, almost like a marble or something..
Yes. At the very least, there would be a very rapid movement of the majority of the Earth's surface water toward the ship. A literal tidal wave, in fact.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

So, saw it on Friday.

Was it cheesy? Yes. Was it poorly edited/paced in places? Yup. Was some of theacting questionable at best? Definitely. Were there a bunch of plotholes I spent the train ride back from Cardiff contemplating? Absolutely.

Was it fun and enjoyable to watch? Hell yes. It's an Emmerich film, it's not going to go down as a great thought provoking piece. I knew that going in. But it's a damn sight better than most of his more recent films. But it was meant to entertain me with Humans fighting Aliens with salvaged technolgoy and cool rayguns.

It did that superbly. I did find the ending somewhat abrupt though.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:It did that superbly. I did find the ending somewhat abrupt though.
I agree very much, although it does require you to apply a magnitude of "suspension of disbelief" that sometimes actually required conscious levels of effort to maintain :D

As for the ending, I'm finding that a problem that's been around in movies for some time, but seems to be increasingly common: Movies are made with the intention of there being a sequel, and thus the current movie is made deliberately.. incomplete.
I'm not sure if "incomplete" is the right word, really, but what I can say for sure is that the current movie is left being less satisfying entirely because the makers want to make a sequel.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star