Stargate reboot incoming - it will be a trilogy

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Stargate reboot incoming - it will be a trilogy

Post by Borgholio »

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/new-sta ... tarted-715
A television series spun off from a feature film doesn't typically become a bigger success than its big-screen parent, but we'll have to make an exception for the Stargate franchise. Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner expanded on the story within Roland Emmerich's STARGATE to create Stargate SG-1, a hugely successful sci-fi series which ran for ten seasons and spawned two spin-offs. Neither Emmerich or his writing/producing partner Dean Devlin were involved in the TV shows, beyond handing over the rights, but they've always wanted to return to the film which started it all and finish telling their story.

As Dean Devlin tells Variety, at the time they made STARGATE, "every single studio in Hollywood had told me that science fiction was dead, and Roland and I really love science fiction, so I think that’s partly why it worked and resonated. It wasn’t a cynical attempt to try and make something that was crowd-pleasing.” Even back in 1994, Emmerich and Devlin had envisioned a trilogy of STARGATE films but "because of what happened with the rights and changes at the studio and all kinds of strange things, we never got to do parts two and three.” It was announced that the pair would be working on finishing that story several years ago, but rather than following the first film, they've decided to just reboot the entire thing.

It’s not a story that can take place 20 years later. So the only way to really tell that trilogy is to go back from the beginning and start the story all over again.

Ever since the Stargate television franchise shut down with the cancellation of Stargate Universe, fans have been hoping to see its return. Unfortunately for those fans, Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin don't plan on using much from the continuity of the TV franchise, but Emmerich told Empire that they will be borrowing a few elements which worked, namely, a larger ensemble cast.

Elements of it will flow into the reboot, definitely. The amount of characters, for instance. It's not a two-hander like the first one with James Spader and Kurt Russell, this time it's a bigger group. Yes, there's still the James Spader character and the Kurt Russell character, but other people are equally important. James and Kurt won't come back – maybe as cameos – it'll be a younger cast.

Although I recall enjoying it, it's been some time since I last revisited the original STARGATE film. The idea of stepping through a wormhole using ancient technology and traveling to various alien worlds is still incredibly appealing however, and even after the feature-film and the hundreds of episodes, I still feel like there are plenty of adventures left untold. Hopefully Emmerich and Devlin's new trilogy will be able to show us something new.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Stargate reboot incoming - it will be a trilogy

Post by bilateralrope »

A reboot that takes the property being rebooted in a completely different direction is a good thing in my opinion.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah I'm looking forward to this. The fact it's the original producer saying he wants to finish what he started is better than some random guy coming out of nowhere to reinvent a classic movie for some money.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I wont believe it until I see it in the cinema.

Not to mention I really do not see how they can go in a different direction. When you have went through 3 different series worth of stories it is going to be a bit difficult to make a film that is going to be completely new. Unless your gonna make it grim-dark or turn it from Star Trek series into action movies.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

PREDATOR490 wrote:I wont believe it until I see it in the cinema.

Indeed. They've been banging on about this for years without it happening.

I thought Emmerich was all tied up with more ID4 sequels?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Given the original Stargate movie was pretty Meh I'm not all that enthusiastic about this. The best thing about the movie was that it spawned the SG-1/SGA franchise.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Batman wrote:Given the original Stargate movie was pretty Meh I'm not all that enthusiastic about this. The best thing about the movie was that it spawned the SG-1/SGA franchise.
I must be in the minority where I feel the opposite. While I did like the SG TV series, they had a different feel from the movie and I felt that the movie was more fun to watch. The series at times felt like a "monster a week" deal, or where the bad guy always got away to come back later to vex the team. Plus I felt that Richard Dean Anderson was the wrong actor to play O'Neill.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Crazedwraith wrote:
PREDATOR490 wrote:I wont believe it until I see it in the cinema.

Indeed. They've been banging on about this for years without it happening.

I thought Emmerich was all tied up with more ID4 sequels?
Well, I suppose that would make for new direction if they tried to combine Stargate and ID4 into the same universe. Insanely strange as it might be I could kinda see that being the grounds to create a new bunch of sci-fi action movies.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

bilateralrope wrote:A reboot that takes the property being rebooted in a completely different direction is a good thing in my opinion.
Indeed.

To me, the whole point of a reboot, creatively, is to take an interesting concept and have the freedom to run with it in a different direction.

A reboot that just rehashes the same old stuff is hack work- at best, it'll be a cash-in on nostalgia, in all likelihood.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Nope. Not happening. Already deleted from my memory banks. Perception filter engaged.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

bilateralrope wrote:A reboot that takes the property being rebooted in a completely different direction is a good thing in my opinion.
YOU GET IT. :!: Over on i09 not only have I seen so much salty bitching from SG-1 fans refusing to give Emerich a chance it just amazes me that more people failed to understand the point of this reboot. Its so bad that even suggesting the same thing got at least one snide asshole saying he thought I was Emerich himself defending a film... that hadn't even come out yet.

i09 used to be cool. :(
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

To be fair, if Emerich wants to go with the plot he had in mind when he made the first Stargate movie, he is going to be rather limited in what he can change for the first movie in the reboot trilogy.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm on board with a Stargate reboot- its a cool premise and you can do a lot with it.

My main regret is actually that its Emerich doing it again. His films, in my experience, are mediocre at best and tend toward the derivative- in fact, the original Stargate is perhaps the best I've seen from him, and at the end of the day, it was at best a fairly light middle of the road sci-fi action film in execution, even if the premise had potential for more.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I'll be in the minority here, I am sure. But to me if you are going to take a property in a different direction you might as well not take the property at all. That is why I dislike reboots. If you were a fan of the old stuff a reboot gives you something completely different instead of more of what you liked. And if you were not a fan than its still a disconnect from everything that came before much like a movie adaptation that has nothing to do with the original book. I don't like that.

This is no way to reboot a duck.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

bilateralrope wrote:To be fair, if Emerich wants to go with the plot he had in mind when he made the first Stargate movie, he is going to be rather limited in what he can change for the first movie in the reboot trilogy.
I'm curious. Elaborate if you please?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well if he has the same plot as before this first film in the trilogy won't be a reboot so much as a remake with different actors.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

From the person who, after abandoning the rights to Stargate, has made such stellar works as White House Down, 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow (the lowest Hollywood shit I can think of?)...

Yeah. Oh Roland, I have zero confidence in you and your partner.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I will agree with you on the latter two, but White House Down did at least manage to be an entertaining Die Hard derivative.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

SG-1 was a different direction all by itself, so they could even go back to the original film and press on from there.

A million and a half years ago, I read some pre-SG-1 Stargate "sequel" books. I liked the vibe (humans out of their depth, but blundering along, aliens, drama, tension, whatever.) This direction instead of where SG-1 went would be entertaining.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

If the basic Macguffin remains the same-- 'walk through portal and end up on another world'-- there are any number of directions they could go with it, many of which were explored by SG1, so the obvious plots are going to be hard to avoid. Basically, you're dealing with a highly advanced alien civilization, which may or may not still be a thing. If it's a thing, you're going to be seriously outclassed (see baseline Human civilization vs. Ancient technology). If it's not a thing, you might have a chance, but depending on whatever level the civilization you run into is at... see Humans vs. Goa'ulds, Tollan, Aschen, and so forth.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

K. A. Pital wrote:From the person who, after abandoning the rights to Stargate, has made such stellar works as White House Down, 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow (the lowest Hollywood shit I can think of?)...

Yeah. Oh Roland, I have zero confidence in you and your partner.
Not to mention the Stargate Prequel he has already made with the IP filed off, AKA 10,000 BC, in which primitives unite to throw off the oppression of a false god who enslaves them building a pyramid. It was execrable.

Yeah, no thanks Roland.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I do not think Stargate is going to do well in a remake simply because 20 years is a long time for things to change and the original premise does not age well. Thus you have a film that will either require a premise to fit the times or the times changed to fit the premise.
One of the most insanely tedious / ludicrous aspects of SG-1 was the consistent requirement for Earth to be the centre of attention to the point that everything from King Arthur to the Pyramids to Atlantis etc. were all aliens.

Frankly, I do not think the franchise is going to manage more films simply because any possible direction they decide to go in has been done.
1: Remake Stargate - Humans discover Stargate. Insert what amounts to an 'origin' movie.
2: Remake Stargate Independence Day - Essentially Stargate Continuum featuring a new cast
3. Remake Stargate Universe / Atlantis S1 - Humans go through, get into trouble and then have to fix it / kill it to get home.

I suppose if we are going with the latest trend in fucking over franchises for new directions - They could make the new Stargate team all women.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I hold this as good news. The worst that can happen is that it's terrible, and so we watch the original film again.

Also, points for ignoring the TV continuity. That was a fucking mess.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

PREDATOR490 wrote:I do not think Stargate is going to do well in a remake simply because 20 years is a long time for things to change and the original premise does not age well. Thus you have a film that will either require a premise to fit the times or the times changed to fit the premise.
What about the Stargate premise is in any way dated?

When you get down to it, its basically- "Military team goes through portal to other worlds, has adventurers, liberates oppressed aliens", crossed with Ancient Aliens as the backstory. The former will be no more dated (except for one thing which I'll get too shortly) until such time as we actually have the ability to send military teams casually to other worlds, at least, and the latter is no more ludicrous now than it was 20 years ago.

Sure, if you go with the original origin story for discovering the Stargate, more time will have passed since then before its used, but that's a fairly minor detail, and in any case, its all pseudo-science anyway, so you can just say it took them a couple decades longer to make it work.

I will allow that alien conspiracy stuff may not be quite as big a part of popular culture as it was 20 years ago, but it didn't stop the X-Files return from getting high ratings, even though in my opinion it was mostly shit writing-wise.

Likewise, the main concept for the villains, aliens possessing and controlling humans, while far from innovative, is one that never really seems to get old- variations on it include Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Borg, Cybermen, and even vampires, zombies, and demons if you stretch the comparisons far enough. Its horrifying on a visceral level, and let's you do all sorts of things with paranoia.

The one thing I think might be a bit dated now is the "America fuck yeah!" interventionist undertone of the whole plot. A heroic US military team liberating a vaguely Middle Eastern world from false gods has connotations now that it didn't back then.

But to be blunt, there's still a market for that, most audience members probably won't put a lot of thought into it, and ultimately, it is a fictional world, not the Middle East.

There is some other stuff that might cause controversy, and might be more likely too now, but its more specific plot points than basic premise.
One of the most insanely tedious / ludicrous aspects of SG-1 was the consistent requirement for Earth to be the centre of attention to the point that everything from King Arthur to the Pyramids to Atlantis etc. were all aliens.
I don't see how this makes Earth the centre of attention. If anything, it says "we're this little backwater that's constantly having our fate dictated by outside forces we're not even aware of". Its not like aliens didn't do shit to other worlds in Stargate, and all the big power blocs were off Earth, at least initially.

In any case, you're talking SG-1, not the original film. In that film, I don't recall anything establishing Earth as particularly important except insofar as it happened to be the world Ra visited way back when, and it happened to be one of the worlds with a Stargate on it.
Frankly, I do not think the franchise is going to manage more films simply because any possible direction they decide to go in has been done.
1: Remake Stargate - Humans discover Stargate. Insert what amounts to an 'origin' movie.
2: Remake Stargate Independence Day - Essentially Stargate Continuum featuring a new cast
3. Remake Stargate Universe / Atlantis S1 - Humans go through, get into trouble and then have to fix it / kill it to get home.
There are always new twists and interpretations if you've got creative writers. I'm not sure how much that can apply to Emerich, though, sadly.

And in any case, it seems like you're just complaining no matter what might happen. They change it, you'll complain that its been changed. They do something they did before, you'll complain about that.
I suppose if we are going with the latest trend in fucking over franchises for new directions - They could make the new Stargate team all women.
Yes, because its such a terrible thing to have a predominantly female cast, and lord knows what made all those franchises great was that it was men in the lead roles. :roll:

Seriously, I'm not sure how much this is misogyny vs generic "they changed it so its ruined" fan whining, but since you went out of your way to make a jab at predominantly female casting in remakes, without it having anything to do with the rest of the conversation as far as I can see, it looks like you have an ax to grind on this issue.

Though on that note, both the original film's casting an SG-1's left something to be desired.

Original film was, as I recall, very heavily a white cast outside of the transplanted natives of the alien world, who were mostly non-white, although from the cast list on IMDB, usually not from the Egyptian background the characters were supposed to be (but I'll give them a pass on that, partly because I doubt their are a lot of ancient Egyptians left who haven't mixed with people from other places). It was also very heavily a male cast. At the time, that might have been a bit more justifiable, but we now live in an age where women are allowed to be front-line infantry and will likely soon be required to register for the Selective Service, so purely in terms of realism, I think a more diverse cast might be warranted.

SG-1's initial main cast looks, to be blunt, like it was cooked up by a marketing or PR committee. Not because its more diverse- that's great. But because it is so in a very predictable, by the numbers fashion. You have your generic white male action lead (albeit this is a carry over from the film, and O'Neil is perhaps a bit older than that kind of character usually is). You have your one blond female team member, who has sexual tension with the white male action lead. You have your one black character (who's also the alien, effectively, on the team). And you have your secondary nerdy white male character.

Now, obviously, the characters grew way beyond that. But it doesn't change the fact that the initial cast looks very much like it was paint by numbers drawn up by a committee.

I wouldn't particularly buy an all-female team here, because its the US military which is a) still mostly male and b) to my knowledge does not use gender segregated teams. But I wouldn't mind seeing them play with the casting a bit.

FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

...yeah....right...

You do know what Emmerich's original vision was...there were a few novels...be afraid, very afraid.