You get a suit of power armor (RAR!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

You get a suit of power armor (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario you receive a large package. When you open it you find inside it a suit of powered armor.

Said suit of power armor is (depending on your size) between 1.8 to 2.4 meters tall and weighs between 300 and 400 kilograms. It has two main sections. The main section is the primary exoskeleton, which has built around it a layer of advanced multi layer armor giving a level of protection equivalent to 3cm of steel in general terms with certain advantages as well as hermetic sealing and environmental systems allowing this thing to keep you comfortable in Antarctica, the Saharah Desert or on the Lunar Surface.. On it's inside system of padding and internal support for your body. The secondary layer is a mechanical pressure body glove complete with built in self cleaning waste reclamation system which interfaces with the suit (which stores the offending materials until disposal) as well as the bio-feedback system which translates your movements. The arms and legs would seem exaggerated to a human observer as the wearer's feet and hands are in the suit's legs and arms. The helmet is contains a heads up display visor with blast shield, full communications array (including both a radio and a hookup to loudspeakers), general assistance computer (with various programs including camera, medical information, local atmospherics, GPS, targeting systems, mechanical status systems) as well as a water nipple. The suit is capable of lifting a 1 tonne car and throwing it about ten meters. It is powered by one of three swappable rechargeable power cells each which can keep it working for up to 30 hours. Recharging these power cells can be done from a wall socket, though this takes some time. It is dexterous enough to easily pick up an egg without crushing it. It can run at speeds of up to 40km/h.

The suit can identify people who are in it will not allow an unauthorized user to use it. It will just stay still. Only you can get it to accept a new wearer.

The suit is painted forest green with your name stenciled in on it as well as an image of said suit standing triumphant on top of a pile of Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines waving a Canadian Flag on it's shoulders.

It does not come with any weapons.

What do you do?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: You get a suit of power armor (RAR!)

Post by Purple »

Nothing.
- I can't really sell that thing to be analyzed because most likely I won't get a very good deal given the potential it has for mankind. Nobody is just going to give me millions for it on the off chance they manage to earn more from it.
- I can't use it for anything or else it will attract attention and people are just going to take it away from me.

So I'll just pack it away.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

The wise answer to most "you get a superthing" scenarios is, "I sell it to a responsible billionaire and/or government and live out my mortal days on a luxury estate in Tahiti".
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Lagmonster wrote:The wise answer to most "you get a superthing" scenarios is, "I sell it to a responsible billionaire and/or government and live out my mortal days on a luxury estate in Tahiti".
Except that nobody is going to give you that much on the risk of this thing being worth it and not something that can't be reverse engineered without spending twice as much and no longer being profitable.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Nobody except the US Armed Forces that is. :P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

I might not be the nicest person on earth but I'll stop short of actually handing this thing to the evil empire.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Those guys already have nukes up the wazoo and plenty of other weapons FAR more destructive than this suit (which as power armours go is pretty damn unimpressive). And that presupposes they get it to work even if it CAN be reverse-engineered.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

First off, I'd probably joy ride the suit a bit. Let's be honest, it would be hard to resist doing so and I won't pretend that I would have a strong enough will not to.

With that done I'd present the suit to a selection universities that specialize in this field and let them bid on it; with a significant reserve figure to avoid being low balled. I'd hope that reasonable offers would pour in from that list, but I'm certain that if they wouldn't want it DARPA would.

A proper research team would get far more from the suit than I would.
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

So this is a standard WH 40k space marine power armor suite ?

Any way it does not mater.

1. thing -get into the suit and learn how to move in it. recharge batteries
2. find a good army supply station.
3. wear suite and ransack station/base to get a shit load of guns and ammo. preferably a 20 or 30mm autocanon like weapon.
4. Lay low and when the time is right i assassinate the Bilderberg Group at their annual conference.
5. Leave the compound Corax style
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Batman wrote:Those guys already have nukes up the wazoo and plenty of other weapons FAR more destructive than this suit (which as power armours go is pretty damn unimpressive). And that presupposes they get it to work even if it CAN be reverse-engineered.
Just because Mordor has all their orks and nazgul and trolls and other toys already don't make it fine and dandy to hand them new ones.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly, I'd try to destroy it as well as humanly possible with 21st century technology, as they say "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" there's no person on earth I'd trust with this technology (including myself).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Purple wrote:
Batman wrote:Those guys already have nukes up the wazoo and plenty of other weapons FAR more destructive than this suit (which as power armours go is pretty damn unimpressive). And that presupposes they get it to work even if it CAN be reverse-engineered.
Just because Mordor has all their orks and nazgul and trolls and other toys already don't make it fine and dandy to hand them new ones.
It does when what you're handing them is a firecracker compared to what they already have,
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Batman wrote:It does when what you're handing them is a firecracker compared to what they already have,
I just can't make my self hand anything, no matter how minute to a force of pure evil. I can't believe I am arguing with freaking Batman over this. You of all people would, or so I thought, understand that sentiment.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

1. Myself is one word.
2. Indeed I'm Batman. Which means I have access to technology far surpassing what I would be giving them, and am used to them already having technology beyond that (also begs the questions of a)why would they bother to buy it and b) why do I need the money but YOU turned this in-character).
If we limit it to the real world, I don't see how power armour with this limited capabilities (assuming the manage to replicate it, leave alone cost-effectively) makes the US Armed Forces noticeably more dangerous than they are now.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Batman wrote:1. Myself is one word.
Ok...
2. Indeed I'm Batman. Which means I have access to technology far surpassing what I would be giving them, and am used to them already having technology beyond that (also begs the questions of a)why would they bother to buy it and b) why do I need the money but YOU turned this in-character).
I couldn't resist. Like, this is a silly RAR thread might as well go all out. :mrgreen:

As to the rest...
If we limit it to the real world, I don't see how power armour with this limited capabilities (assuming the manage to replicate it, leave alone cost-effectively) makes the US Armed Forces noticeably more dangerous than they are now.
Simply put I feel that it is not the end result but the intent that counts. And the intent here would be to give aid to a force of evil that makes Sauron look like a mischievous child. It does thus not matter if said aid is completely useless. For it is the intent, the purpose of the act, that counts and not its outcomes. And this purpose is wicked indeed.

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Batman wrote:Those guys already have nukes up the wazoo and plenty of other weapons FAR more destructive than this suit
Nukes and suits of power armor have different functions.
(which as power armours go is pretty damn unimpressive).
By the standards of some sci-fi universes, yes. By the standards of our modern world it's incredible.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The modern world also has combined arms, so individual supersoldiers (unless they're cheap as hell) aren't necessarily all that useful.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Power cells alone seem impressive. The suit can enable the user to run at 40km/hr and be able to lift a bit over a ton. This has lots of practical uses in the military and the private sector. Construction and mining alone could use this.

Auction it and reap the rewards! :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

40 kph isn't all that impressive, really. Ordinary humans can almost match that (if only over very short distances) and I bet that goes rapidly down in rough terrain.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Batman wrote:40 kph isn't all that impressive, really. Ordinary humans can almost match that (if only over very short distances) and I bet that goes rapidly down in rough terrain.
True, Usain Bolt can run up to almost 45kph in a short sprint, but being able to almost match that for much much longer is impressive. See if Usain can maintain his top speed over rough terrain. :)

Plus being able to run and still be in relative comfort despite being in the cold or heat is impressive. No hypothermia or heat strokes.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Honestly?

I'd be very tempted to simply try to ditch it in the Pacific Ocean.

Possessing something like that is going to raise a lot of questions, invite a lot of scrutiny, and probably land me in serious legal trouble. I have no desire to have the FBI (or Canadian equivalent) go over my life with a fine tooth comb and then charge me for possessing an unlicensed vehicle or weapon or something.

I could turn it into the authorities, but then the tech. would undoubtably be weaponized, and I'd have blood on my hands.

Or you could argue that its not actually a weapon, and that its beneficial non-destructive uses would outweigh its destructive applications. And it is valuable scientific knowledge that I'd hate to see lost.

But there'd still be questions I couldn't believably answer about why this suit showed up at my house programmed to accept me as its owner.

So, ditch it or turn it in. Either way.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Purple wrote:
Lagmonster wrote:The wise answer to most "you get a superthing" scenarios is, "I sell it to a responsible billionaire and/or government and live out my mortal days on a luxury estate in Tahiti".
Except that nobody is going to give you that much on the risk of this thing being worth it and not something that can't be reverse engineered without spending twice as much and no longer being profitable.
The batteries sound like they have better energy density than anything we currently have. I'm sure you can find several companies willing to take the risk on them even if they don't get to touch the rest of the suit.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I could be set for the life of my grandchildren if I were to license the battery tech to automotive companies. Tesla would pay a pretty penny for these things.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What possible use would you have for it as an individual citizen, even if authorities are OK with you having what is essentially an unarmed miniature tank?

The best I can think of is disaster relief, where having the ability to throw around cars with little preparation would be helpful. Although that would heavily depend on how waterproof and other hazard-proof (fire, acid, radioactivity, etc.) the suit is.

Of course you'll probably end up having to sell the thing anyway the moment something brakes inside of it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Zor wrote:In this scenario you receive a large package. When you open it you find inside it a suit of powered armor.

Said suit of power armor is (depending on your size) between 1.8 to 2.4 meters tall and weighs between 300 and 400 kilograms. It has two main sections. The main section is the primary exoskeleton, which has built around it a layer of advanced multi layer armor giving a level of protection equivalent to 3cm of steel in general terms with certain advantages as well as hermetic sealing and environmental systems allowing this thing to keep you comfortable in Antarctica, the Saharah Desert or on the Lunar Surface.. On it's inside system of padding and internal support for your body. The secondary layer is a mechanical pressure body glove complete with built in self cleaning waste reclamation system which interfaces with the suit (which stores the offending materials until disposal) as well as the bio-feedback system which translates your movements. The arms and legs would seem exaggerated to a human observer as the wearer's feet and hands are in the suit's legs and arms. The helmet is contains a heads up display visor with blast shield, full communications array (including both a radio and a hookup to loudspeakers), general assistance computer (with various programs including camera, medical information, local atmospherics, GPS, targeting systems, mechanical status systems) as well as a water nipple. The suit is capable of lifting a 1 tonne car and throwing it about ten meters. It is powered by one of three swappable rechargeable power cells each which can keep it working for up to 30 hours. Recharging these power cells can be done from a wall socket, though this takes some time. It is dexterous enough to easily pick up an egg without crushing it. It can run at speeds of up to 40km/h.

The suit can identify people who are in it will not allow an unauthorized user to use it. It will just stay still. Only you can get it to accept a new wearer.

The suit is painted forest green with your name stenciled in on it as well as an image of said suit standing triumphant on top of a pile of Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines waving a Canadian Flag on it's shoulders.

It does not come with any weapons.

What do you do?

Zor
Cool my heels in a dimly-lit room somewhere being quizzed by humorless men in cheap business suits, once the Postal Service gets suspicious of the very large package being sent to me, intercepts it, has the FBI open and examine the roughly six to nine hundred pounds of powered armor, and they come to take me away, ha, hah.

(Because, the Second Amendment doesn't cover Living Steel[TM], and once they figure out just what it can do, the Feds will have little trouble getting it classified as a destructive device)
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford