Moffat says black actor was offered lead role on Doctor Who.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Moffat says black actor was offered lead role on Doctor Who.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... was-899251
Although Steven Moffat says things "didn't work out," he thinks it would be "amazing" for the hit show to have two non-white leads.
Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat has revealed that the keys to the Tardis – currently occupied by Peter Capaldi – had previously been offered to a black actor.

Speaking to the official magazine of the hit BBC show, Moffat said that "for various reasons, it didn't work out," but added that this was "no excuse" not to include a more diverse cast.

The comments come just weeks after Pearl Mackie, whose father was born in the West Indies, was named the new companion, taking over for Jenna Coleman.

"We decided that the new companion was going to be non-white, and that was an absolute decision, because we need to do better on that. We just have to," Moffat said of the casting. "I don't mean that we've done terribly – our guest casts are among the most diverse on television – but I feel as though I could have done better overall."

The executive producer and lead writer, who is set to leave the show at the end of next year's season, added that he would love to see Mackie eventually joined by a black Timelord.

"I certainly don't think there's ever been a problem with making the Doctor black, which is why it should happen one day," he said. "Two non-white leads would be amazing. In fact, a lot of people would barely notice."

Moffat said that the nature of certain shows, such as historical dramas, made diversity a challenge. "But Doctor Who has absolutely nowhere to hide on this," he said.

As for the actor in question, while Moffat didn't name any names, Paterson Joseph (Peep Show, Babylon) was heavily tipped to take the lead role in Doctor Who after David Tennant announced he was stepping down in 2008, revealing in a 2014 interview that he had auditioned. Matt Smith was eventually named as the 11th incarnation of the Doctor.
And apparently this may have come up before:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/could-chiwetel- ... 1780385166
Each time Doctor Who’s titular Time Lord has regenerated in the modern series, fans have called for the next actor to take on the role to defy the white-male tradition—whether that’s calls for a Female Doctor or a non-white male actor. We know that black actors have been offered the part before, but now we may know just who turned the role down.

Neil Gaiman says a black actor was offered Doctor Who but said no
Whoa. All those people who were complaining that the role of the 13th Doctor was given to yet…
Read more
The idea of a black Doctor is in the news again. We already knew that a black actor had turned down the role since Neil Gaiman’s comments in 2013 in the wake of Peter Capaldi’s casting. But now, comments have emerged from outgoing showrunner Steven Moffat who spoke about the show’s need to diversify its cast in the wake of Pearl Mackie’s casting as the next companion. Speaking in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine, Moffat once again confirmed that the part of The Doctor had been offered to a black actor, but they declined:

We’ve tried. The part has been offered to a black actor, but for various reasons it didn’t work out. Should the Doctor be black? Should the Doctor be a woman? So long as the Doctor is still the Doctor, anything is possible.
Naturally, this has lead to a lot of speculation about who turned down the role. The Radio Times has come forward, too, citing sources who worked on the show during the transition from Russell T. Davies to Steven Moffat that claim 12 Years a Slave’s (and upcoming Doctor Strange co-star) Chiwetel Ejiofor was offered the part of the 11th Doctor. They allege Ejiofor couldn’t come to an agreement with the BBC, so the part was then offered to Matt Smith.

This is of course not exactly official confirmation that it was Ejiofor, but it’s not exactly surprising if it turned out to be true. The actor’s name has cropped up on many a list of potential Doctors over the years and betting odds in the run up to a Doctor’s casting, joining fellow black actors like Paterson Joseph, David Harewood, and Idris Elba. But sadly, it might just be that we’ll forever be imagining what might have been if he did indeed turn down the role. That said, hopefully by the time Doctor 13 rolls around the show will get a more diverse lead.
On the one hand, this sucks because I want Chiwetel Ejiofor as the Doctor, and if he was offered the role in the past and turned it down, its unlikely to happen in the future, I suppose.

On the other hand, its nice to know that they've been seriously considering options outside of white men.

But it looks like a black Doctor is way more likely than a female Doctor, based on this.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: Moffat says black actor was offered lead role on Doctor Who.

Post by ray245 »

Chiwetel Ejiofor is too big of a name as the Doctor.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

ray245 wrote:Chiwetel Ejiofor is too big of a name as the Doctor.
Maybe now, post-Best Actor nomination for 12 Years a Slave and after apparently getting a substantial role in Doctor Strange.

I wasn't aware that he was that big a name back when he was reportedly offered the part of the 11th. Doctor.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Maybe now, post-Best Actor nomination for 12 Years a Slave and after apparently getting a substantial role in Doctor Strange.

I wasn't aware that he was that big a name back when he was reportedly offered the part of the 11th. Doctor.
Given that he was already cast as a lead actor in a fairly big Hollywood production, I think that alone quantify as being pretty big. Most established actors would not be willing to step into the schedule of playing the Doctor. It takes up too much of their time apparently, a pretty big commitment.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

ray245 wrote:

Given that he was already cast as a lead actor in a fairly big Hollywood production, I think that alone quantify as being pretty big. Most established actors would not be willing to step into the schedule of playing the Doctor. It takes up too much of their time apparently, a pretty big commitment.
That's surprising to hear, given that Doctor Who has fairly short seasons compared to many American TV series, and often long breaks between seasons. I'd think it would be a relatively forgiving schedule for an actor, all things considered.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

ray245 wrote:

That's surprising to hear, given that Doctor Who has fairly short seasons compared to many American TV series, and often long breaks between seasons. I'd think it would be a relatively forgiving schedule for an actor, all things considered.
Apparently the Doctor Who actor is required to attend all the other miscellaneous Doctor Who event stuff.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

If the Doc actor has to be highly committed to the role then my choice for a Doctor played by a black actor Idris Elba probably couldn't do it because of all the other stuff he is doing. Kinda sucks in the fact he would make a fantastic Doc but good in the fact he is getting so much damn work he doesn't have the time. Thats a good problem to have.

I know one thing about a minority or female Doctor, I think alot of actors and actresses will pass on the role just for the nerd rage they know will be directed at them. Look at the rage people have ANY time there is a new Doctor especially one that doesn't fit the established mold. Now imagine the level of man bewb flapping rage the nerds are going to be doing for someone who is considerably different.

Much of its going to be directed at the person playing the role. Very few people are going to want the constant stress of being verbally attacked by a no doubt small minority (probably some irony in there) of fans but a very vocal and probably very physically large minority. Nerds rage any time anything is changed but to change the race or sex of a character that has been around for 50 years, has been enjoyed possibly by their parents and grandparents when they were young? Oh boy, thats going to be an almost previously unheard of level of anger. Be like if instead of casting Chris Pine in the reboot Trek they had cast Jamie Foxx or Scarlett Johansen.

Though logically the rage for the Doctor changing gender or race should be far less then changing Kirk considering the Doctor changes appearance every few years anyway but fans aren't exactly logical creatures.

Now if they really want a different actor to play the Doctor they should really go outside the box and cast.........an American actor. I'm sure that would go over well.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It seems to me that the BBC might do well to make their scheduling requirements for the actors for things not actually related to shooting the show a bit less rigorous, as it would give them a wider range of choices for casting.
Joun_Lord wrote:If the Doc actor has to be highly committed to the role then my choice for a Doctor played by a black actor Idris Elba probably couldn't do it because of all the other stuff he is doing. Kinda sucks in the fact he would make a fantastic Doc but good in the fact he is getting so much damn work he doesn't have the time. Thats a good problem to have.

I know one thing about a minority or female Doctor, I think alot of actors and actresses will pass on the role just for the nerd rage they know will be directed at them. Look at the rage people have ANY time there is a new Doctor especially one that doesn't fit the established mold. Now imagine the level of man bewb flapping rage the nerds are going to be doing for someone who is considerably different.

Much of its going to be directed at the person playing the role. Very few people are going to want the constant stress of being verbally attacked by a no doubt small minority (probably some irony in there) of fans but a very vocal and probably very physically large minority. Nerds rage any time anything is changed but to change the race or sex of a character that has been around for 50 years, has been enjoyed possibly by their parents and grandparents when they were young? Oh boy, thats going to be an almost previously unheard of level of anger. Be like if instead of casting Chris Pine in the reboot Trek they had cast Jamie Foxx or Scarlett Johansen.

Though logically the rage for the Doctor changing gender or race should be far less then changing Kirk considering the Doctor changes appearance every few years anyway but fans aren't exactly logical creatures.
Sadly, any non-white male actor who takes the role is going to be subjected to a hideous amount of abuse in all likelihood.

Some of that will be flat-out bigotry. Some will be generic fan whining of the kind that comes up pretty much any time anything is changed or anyone dares to change the status quo.

On the other hand, I think our society is sane enough that their will probably be more acceptance than hostility. And in my experience, the Doctor Who fan base usually isn't actually that bad as rabid fanbases go, obsessive Tennant fans aside (and they've mostly shut up by now, finally).
Now if they really want a different actor to play the Doctor they should really go outside the box and cast.........an American actor. I'm sure that would go over well.
Heh.

Well, I did once throw out Ming Na Wen as a suggestion for the Doctor.

Also, I believe I've argued in the past that Robert Downy Jr. would make a fine Doctor (though I realize that in practice, he is likely literally orders of magnitude outside of Doctor Who's budget).
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

ray245 wrote:
ray245 wrote:
Apparently the Doctor Who actor is required to attend all the other miscellaneous Doctor Who event stuff.
There's also the fact that the Doctor has to be pretty much every scene except in doctor-lites (which were reintroduced for the explicit purpose that the actor for the doctor doesn't have enough time to shoot everything). This often isn't true in other shows.

Having said that, they were short on time during the classic series too, and back then the doctor and companions usually got split up and quite often they didn't do retakes (although in the black and white days they had ~40 episodes a season with a month or two gap between them).
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I heard that David Harewood was in the running.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.