Star Wars vs. the Sh'Daar

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Star Wars vs. the Sh'Daar

Post by Rhadamantus »

What would happen if Star Wars and the Sh'Daar (from Star Carrier), came into contact? Two galactic empires against each other. Who would win?
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Star Wars vs. the Sh'Daar

Post by Enigma »

I have an inkling of Star Carrier but can you elaborate on them?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

They're a galactic scale empire with 50ish million species, they appear to have tens or hundreds of millions of km scale warships (they have far less firepower), and their FTL speeds are Star Trek range.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

How do you build a galactic scale empire with Trek FTL speeds?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Very slowly?

The hard part would be political stability- preventing border satraps from rebelling against the central government. Having a system of communications that moves faster than the speed of ship would help a lot (as Star Trek does, and as Warhammer 40k, whose ships move at comparable speed, does).
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Simon_Jester wrote:Very slowly?

The hard part would be political stability- preventing border satraps from rebelling against the central government. Having a system of communications that moves faster than the speed of ship would help a lot (as Star Trek does, and as Warhammer 40k, whose ships move at comparable speed, does).
All of the races in the Star Carrier verse are restricted to speed of light communications. The Sh'Daar Masters do use some form of mind control over their client races, IIRC.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It's not so much keeping the general population controlled that's the problem. As long as taxation isn't too high (and there's no reason why it should be), there's a good chance most of your population will obey whoever is set directly over them.

The problem is one of keeping the empire's own bureaucracy from fissioning. How exactly do you stop a frontier satrap who's thirty years' travel time from the imperial capital from rebelling? By the time you find out and send a punitive expedition to stop him, there's a good chance he'll already be dead.

It reminds me of all those people who think a tyrannical government is stable because IRON CONTROL OF THE SERFS, but then forget that it's entirely possible for internal divisions to occur within the government of a single empire.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Speed of light communications in system, I'm pretty sure they have FTL communicators that just don't work near stars.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Not enough information.

With what we have thus far:

It comes down to firepower and speed (Star Wars) versus numbers (Sh'daar). That's about it. Speed is usually the deciding factor in these versuses, as if the Empire can zoom around and take planets while the Sh'daar are still trying to get from point A to B, the Sh'daar are going to lose by attrition.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I agree Elheru here. If the Sh'Daar's ships are stuck at Star Trek levels of speed and firepower they stand no chance in the long run. They would never be able to concentrate their fleets fast enough to be able to engage the Star Wars 'verse in a battle on equal footing, and even if they do have some planets defended heavily enough to give the Star Wars 'verse pause, the Star Wars 'verse could simply bypass those planets to attack others. Plus, depending on the time period they may have to deal with a Death Star or Starkiller Base, which they have no counter for. I really don't see how the Sh'Daar would win this one, and given the slow speeds of their communications (they may be FTL, but would they be able to cross the galaxy like Star Wars communications?) it's entirely possible that the war would be effectively over before the majority of the Sh'daar planets are even aware that a war broke out.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage