Spindizzy scale?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Khaat
Jedi Master

Spindizzy scale?

Post by Khaat »

I'm having some trouble tracking down a copy of James Blish's Cities in Flight book locally. I'm trying to find a particular answer to a rather particular question, so I figured I would take it to the forum:

Is there mention of how big a spindizzy has to be to move the planet? If so, how big?
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Spindizzy scale?

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Not that I could find. All Blish's stories had to say was what you probably already know, that spindizzies are more efficent with increasing mass.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Still no success on my search, though I did find a webpage with a quote suggesting it isn't a big device:
This ship came to Ganymede directly from Earth. It did it in a little under two hours, counting maneuvering time. That means that most of the way we made about 55,000 miles per second, with the spindizzy drawing less than five Watts of power out of three ordinary No. 6 dry cells.
Sounds like I could carry one around in a messenger bag, or a doughnut box. I'm drawing this conclusion from the idea that even basic resistance would keep anything bigger from functioning so efficiently, but I could be wrong: electronics and wiring are not in my repertoire.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

That would depend on the properties of the materials used. And frankly this is a discussion about portable devices moving planets. I'd say physics is far enough out of it that we can assume they might have superconductors.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Spindizzies are a pretty good example of Golden Age SF gadgets... they just work, nobody bothers to explain why or how, and as long as the writing is pretty decent nobody really worries about the details. Blish wasn't a bad author. His Trek work was pretty derivative, but that was the nature of the beast-- mostly they were novelizations of the various TOS episodes (and some TAS stuff too, IIRC). His original work was better.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Elheru Aran wrote:Spindizzies are a pretty good example of Golden Age SF gadgets... they just work, nobody bothers to explain why or how, and as long as the writing is pretty decent nobody really worries about the details. Blish wasn't a bad author. His Trek work was pretty derivative, but that was the nature of the beast-- mostly they were novelizations of the various TOS episodes (and some TAS stuff too, IIRC). His original work was better.

Most of the TAS novelizations were done by Alan Dean Foster, of Humanx Commonwealth fame. Blish also wrote the Star Trek novel Spock Must Die!.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford