How was President Sheridan viewed on Minbar?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

How was President Sheridan viewed on Minbar?

Post by FaxModem1 »

At the end of Babylon 5, John Sheridan becomes President of the Interstellar Alliance, with the capital city being put on Minbar. Considering that this is John 'Starkiller' Sheridan, famed for his victory against the Black Star in the Earth-Minbari War, is now residing on Minbar, I'm surprised that the Rangers aren't fighting full time against Minbari trying to kill him for his disrespect.

How long did it take for the MInbari to accept Sheridan as the leader of the government they were a part of?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: How was President Sheridan viewed on Minbar?

Post by bilateralrope »

He is also the person was in charge when the young races won the Shadow war. That probably helped get the Minbari to accept him.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

also IIRC the Minbari with the most beef with Sheridan were members of the warrior caste that was defeated and disgraced in the civil war, so the combo of being the leader of younger races against the shadows and the part of the minbari people who'd most object to his present loosing a lot their former status I'd wouldn't be surpriced if Sheridan was at least tolerated on minbar.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Also by that point I suspect the reasons for the ending of the Minbari War - humans having Minbari souls - was probably at least rumoured on Minbar; the rage at the surrender may well have abated when that information hit the Minbari street. Minbari after all, does not kill Minbari.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

FaxModem1 wrote: How long did it take for the MInbari to accept Sheridan as the leader of the government they were a part of?
The Shadow war likely played a big role, prior to that Sheridan was an insect who got 'lucky' with the Blackstar. The Shadow War, the Minbari got to better witness Sheridan's ability as a strategist and warrior. On the diplomatic end he was able to establish himself as a fair man without much bias and being...'close' to a grey council member helped break the ice.

So the Minbari came to love him, while Earth would come to despise him (Sheridan's 20 year reign as 'President' only terminating with his "death" and being succeed by his increasingly reclusive wife for decades more...not helping. What with Earth history full of life term hereditary presidencies that are effectively dictatorships, plus how long were Sheridan and Co. able to keep under wraps that they manipulated the League to their own ends.)
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Don't forget this is the guy who went to Z'ha'dum and took out the Shadows capital city with a brace of 500 MT warheads.
Then came back from the dead in the company of the oldest living being in the galaxy.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

FaxModem1 wrote:At the end of Babylon 5, John Sheridan becomes President of the Interstellar Alliance, with the capital city being put on Minbar. Considering that this is John 'Starkiller' Sheridan, famed for his victory against the Black Star in the Earth-Minbari War, is now residing on Minbar, I'm surprised that the Rangers aren't fighting full time against Minbari trying to kill him for his disrespect.

How long did it take for the MInbari to accept Sheridan as the leader of the government they were a part of?
I doubt *that* many Minbari, even warrior caste minbari, hold a grudge of the sort they'd attack him over. Sure, he won through a 'trick'... but it was war, and being pissed off that someone you were literally trying to wipe out managed to give you a black eye when one of your ships was trying to shoot escape pods strikes me as a bit *too* petty.

I kinda assume that a lot of the ones who really hated him were just a few who'd served on the Black Star or knew someone who had, with more viewing him as more of a worthy adversary who, sure, they'd like to kill, but in a real fight to show their superiority and wouldn't dream of doing an assassination over it.

Considering what he did during the series, the 'worthy adversary,' side would be more overwhelming, with it gradually becoming a 'worthy ally,' one. Plus the political upheaval of the civil war likely took out many of the hardlines were did hate him more personally.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Q99 wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:At the end of Babylon 5, John Sheridan becomes President of the Interstellar Alliance, with the capital city being put on Minbar. Considering that this is John 'Starkiller' Sheridan, famed for his victory against the Black Star in the Earth-Minbari War, is now residing on Minbar, I'm surprised that the Rangers aren't fighting full time against Minbari trying to kill him for his disrespect.

I doubt *that* many Minbari, even warrior caste minbari, hold a grudge of the sort they'd attack him over. Sure, he won through a 'trick'... but it was war, and being pissed off that someone you were literally trying to wipe out managed to give you a black eye when one of your ships was trying to shoot escape pods strikes me as a bit *too* petty.

I kinda assume that a lot of the ones who really hated him were just a few who'd served on the Black Star or knew someone who had, with more viewing him as more of a worthy adversary who, sure, they'd like to kill, but in a real fight to show their superiority and wouldn't dream of doing an assassination over it.

Considering what he did during the series, the 'worthy adversary,' side would be more overwhelming, with it gradually becoming a 'worthy ally,' one. Plus the political upheaval of the civil war likely took out many of the hardlines were did hate him more personally.
actually one of the defining weaknesses of the Minbari in B5 was that they were insanely petty and arrogant, while most of the warrior caste wouldn't try assasination they'd might want to push for Sheridan to be executed for the crime of beating them in a battle, as the at the time leader of the Rangers said in one of the TV-movies "The warrior caste hates to loose and loves to win".
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Q99 wrote:I doubt *that* many Minbari, even warrior caste minbari, hold a grudge of the sort they'd attack him over. Sure, he won through a 'trick'... but it was war, and being pissed off that someone you were literally trying to wipe out managed to give you a black eye when one of your ships was trying to shoot escape pods strikes me as a bit *too* petty.

From what I remember pretty much any warrior caste Minbari we met before the Shadows came out of the shadows was really butthurt towards him, with one entire ship trying to restart the war by getting him to fire upon them and even non-warriors pissed at him with one trying to frame him for murder. They called him the Starkiller and its probably wasn't because his retro Star Wars cosplay. They did not like him, considered his actions dishonorable and cowardly. Which is one of the reasons I consider the Minbari assholes.

Its like they were like a school bully who had been kicking the asses of nerds without even getting a scratch throwing a hissy fit because one of the nerds he had just beat up punched him in the nuts when him were standing over him ready to curbstomp him. The Minbari were just dicks.

It sucks they of all the races were the ones humans were connected to. Why couldn't it have been the Narn? The Narn were cool dudes and pretty chill towards humans. Even the Centari were less of dicks then the Minbari and they had like 8 dicks.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

yeah Minbari started out as total assholes, but they did improve over the years becoming less aggrogant and more humble about other races.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Lord Revan wrote: actually one of the defining weaknesses of the Minbari in B5 was that they were insanely petty and arrogant, while most of the warrior caste wouldn't try assasination they'd might want to push for Sheridan to be executed for the crime of beating them in a battle, as the at the time leader of the Rangers said in one of the TV-movies "The warrior caste hates to loose and loves to win".
True. Still, mostly trying to get him into a situation where they could win their way so maybe not in need of a bodyguard.

It's kinda funny how they were generally presented as a pretty 'cool' race we were supposed to like... while honestly they were arguably one of the worst of the Younger Races (Genocide based on a single shooting incident!) and didn't get a lot of people calling them on it, and did spend so much effort trying to lure Sheridan into getting his 'comeuppance'.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Q99 wrote:
Lord Revan wrote: actually one of the defining weaknesses of the Minbari in B5 was that they were insanely petty and arrogant, while most of the warrior caste wouldn't try assasination they'd might want to push for Sheridan to be executed for the crime of beating them in a battle, as the at the time leader of the Rangers said in one of the TV-movies "The warrior caste hates to loose and loves to win".
True. Still, mostly trying to get him into a situation where they could win their way so maybe not in need of a bodyguard.

It's kinda funny how they were generally presented as a pretty 'cool' race we were supposed to like... while honestly they were arguably one of the worst of the Younger Races (Genocide based on a single shooting incident!) and didn't get a lot of people calling them on it, and did spend so much effort trying to lure Sheridan into getting his 'comeuppance'.
though by the time Sheridan moved to Minbar the warrior caste and their philosophy had been utterly disgraced and the much more calm and collected worker caste being the most prominent in Minbari politics.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Lord Revan wrote: though by the time Sheridan moved to Minbar the warrior caste and their philosophy had been utterly disgraced and the much more calm and collected worker caste being the most prominent in Minbari politics.
Yea. It seems odd that the shift ended up having little to do with their worst actions, but at least it happened.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Lord Revan wrote:also IIRC the Minbari with the most beef with Sheridan were members of the warrior caste that was defeated and disgraced in the civil war, so the combo of being the leader of younger races against the shadows and the part of the minbari people who'd most object to his present loosing a lot their former status I'd wouldn't be surpriced if Sheridan was at least tolerated on minbar.
Especially given that a high-ranking member of the warrior caste willingly laid down his life in the Starfire Wheel for a high-ranking member of the religious caste who also happened to have been chosen by Dukhat to be on the former Grey Council, in the presence of all Minbari.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Q99 wrote:Considering what he did during the series, the 'worthy adversary,' side would be more overwhelming, with it gradually becoming a 'worthy ally,' one. Plus the political upheaval of the civil war likely took out many of the hardlines were did hate him more personally.
The hardliners were discredited anyway, when Shakiri refused to follow DeLenn into the Starfire Wheel, and Neroon sacrificed himself to save DeLenn.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford