Farscape is frelling awesome.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Farscape is frelling awesome.

Post by Iroscato »

Thanks to all those who recommended it to me, some time ago. Currently into Season 2 - it took a while for it to really grow on me, but I love it now :D

That is all, carry on.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Farscape is frelling awesome.

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yes. Yes, it is.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Such a great show indeed.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Glad you're enjoying it. Where are you exactly in season 2?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

FaxModem1 wrote:Glad you're enjoying it. Where are you exactly in season 2?
Up to Taking the Stone. I hear it's a less-than-stellar ep, but meh. The last...what, five or six? episodes of series 1 was phenomenal TV. It bought a lot of goodwill for itself :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Chimaera wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Glad you're enjoying it. Where are you exactly in season 2?
Up to Taking the Stone. I hear it's a less-than-stellar ep, but meh. The last...what, five or six? episodes of series 1 was phenomenal TV. It bought a lot of goodwill for itself :P
Taking the Stone is really an exploration of Chiana, but at the expense of an interesting plot. Crackers don't matter and The Way we weren't are two VERY solid episodes, so you'll be fine.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ah, Farscape. Such fond memories.

how did SFDebris describe it? "It's like Star Wars and Red Dwarf had a baby, and then that baby ran off to join the circus."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I personally really like the peace keeper wars.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I really do not, the last minute script change really screwed the story over.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

What change are you referring to?

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Spoiler for the SERIES FINALE, the Peacekeeper Wars
Spoiler
The greatest change was that the bioloid resistance fighter was not supposed to be the spy, which never made a lick of sense anyway given how she behaved previously, for example in that moon base. This was changed at the last minute with a lot of objections from the actress. The spy always was supposed to be Grunchlik.
------------
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I see. I can understand why that would be annoying, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it screwed the whole story over.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Mustnotclickshowmustnotclickshowmustnotclickshowmustnotclickshowmustnotclickshowmustnotclickshowmustnotclickshowmustnotclickshowmustnotclickshowmustnotclickshow

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I see. I can understand why that would be annoying, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it screwed the whole story over.
Well, to me it did kinda render the arc of two main characters irrelevant, but that may just be me.
------------
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

It may be personal taste, though in fairness there was quite a large gap (longer than just the gap between releases that is) for me between seeing the end of the last season and seeing Peacekeeper Wars, so some of the nuances were probably lost to me.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I love Crichton's trench coat - it's so early 00's :P

Kinda scary to think I was only 5-6 when this show got started...

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Do love the costuming on the show and Chrichton does have done really great pieces. I just love the fact the show was created to show off puppetry and the skill and expertise.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Chimaera wrote:I love Crichton's trench coat - it's so early 00's :P

Kinda scary to think I was only 5-6 when this show got started...
Yeah, I remember watching it and thinking "I haven't got the faintest clue what's going on but I love it anyway."

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Could I request that this be moved to the SF sub-forum? I feel I need a place to ramble on about it after each episode.

Had my mind cratered by Crackers Don't Matter last night. This is an absolutely ridiculous show and I love it.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I still laugh every time I even mention the body-swapping episode.

"I just peed in the maintenance bay!"

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Moved as requested.
------------
------------
My LPs
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

There are some episodes here and there which are absolute rubbish, as seems pretty much unavoidable in any TV series.
But most of them range from solid to fantastic. The sheer imagination and willingness to push boundaries make up for any shortcomings. The way the creative team were also willing to take a short term/one shot concept and run with it when they saw it was good also helped - hence the regular appearances of both Scorpios and Chiana (amongst others).

You do notice a slight drop in quality later on when they start bringing in some more characters for no real reason (I still hate that damn old woman) but I guarantee the end of season four will have you shocked.

And I still regard the series as a record of Chrichton's inevitable decent into distinct mental instability/madness, a result of having to cope with everything he has to.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Ongoing spoilers from this post onwards. Read at own risk. Or watch Farscape, you feckers :P

Parallax wrote:There are some episodes here and there which are absolute rubbish, as seems pretty much unavoidable in any TV series.
Yeah, Jeremiah Crichton wasn't too far off Voyager's Threshold (maybe a BIT harsh, but it was pretty crap) but it was a weird blip in an otherwise excellent first season. I'm sure it won't be the last, though.
And I still regard the series as a record of Chrichton's inevitable decent into distinct mental instability/madness, a result of having to cope with everything he has to.
Definitely seeing that now, partway into S2. His experiences with the Aurora Chair and the events surrounding it have left some pretty deep wounds in his psyche, and one of the things that impresses me most is the creators have actually run with it rather than spam the reset button or cleaned it up in a few episodes. It seems the more damaged Crichton is the new status quo (along with a more on-edge Zhaan and a slightly softened D'argo).

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

The changes stick with the entire cast of characters. Their actions always have consequences.
And that is one of the many things that Farscape does really well. There is almost never a reset button.

I'd go into details but if you're only in season 2...
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Thanas wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:I see. I can understand why that would be annoying, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it screwed the whole story over.
Well, to me it did kinda render the arc of two main characters irrelevant, but that may just be me.
It didn't ruin the Peace Keeper wars for me, but it was bad and it did fuck over the otherwise interesting and compelling relationship between two characters. They really shouldn't have done it.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.