Best Science Fiction film of 2015.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

What is the best science fiction film of 2015?

Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
1%
Marvel's Ant Man.
3%
Mad Max: Fury Road.
25%
Jurassic World.
3%
Spectre.
2%
The Martian.
39%
Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
23%
Other.
3%

Total votes: 95

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Best Science Fiction film of 2015.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

2015 was a good year for science fiction critically and at the box office, and I hope that will translate to awards success.

But which movie was best?

Note, I have included superhero films here despite them normally being discussed in Fantasy because modern superhero films seem to generally skew more towards a science fiction style than a fantasy style, and because it saves me from having to create a separate poll just for them. Spectre I admit is a bit of a stretch, but some of Bond's gadgets seem like they might be getting into science fiction territory, and I wanted a more diverse poll.

Edit: Poll edited to include Jurassic World.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Best Science Fiction film of 2015.

Post by Jub »

I went with the Martian because of how refreshingly hard it was without being dry. It's a movie that sci-fi fans and those that don't know a warp drive from a lightsaber can enjoy together. Plus it wasn't part of a franchise and wasn't a reboot, that gets bonus points in today's safe sells world.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

With the caveat that I have not seen the Martian, I vote for Fury Road.
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

Interstelar :?: :?: :D
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Tandrax218 wrote:Interstelar :?: :?: :D

was 2014.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

My favourite sci-fi film of this year, favourite film of the year, and indeed my new favourite movie ever is unquestionably The Martian.

Star Wars is a close second for favourite sci-fi film of the year...I'm looking forward to seeing it again tonight.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah for me it's The Martian followed by Star Wars, though I will admit to enjoying Age of Ultron a lot at the time. Sadly by the time I realised I could select two options on the poll I'd pressed submit after onyl voting for The Martian. Ooops.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm voting for The Martian, and as my second choice, I want to be contrary and lump in Tomorrowland. It tanked at the box office, but I think it was a better film than Jurassic World, Avengers 2, or Ant-Man. I haven't seen the newest James Bond movie, so I don't know about that one, but Star Wars is too fresh in my mind for me to be objective about it, so I don't want to vote for it solely due to recent hype.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I haven't seen Spectre or The Martian yet but out of this list Fury Road was easily the most enjoyable and didn't require any real knowledge about the Mad Max universe. None of the other films have Doof Warrior anyway.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Martian and Fury Road for me. Both were well crafted, highly enjoyable movies. Star Wars and Ant-Man would be a close third and fourth, though. Age of Ultron would probably have to come in fifth as while it was a very good movie, it didn't have quite as much of a 'fun' quotient as Ant-man, which was just a sheer enjoyable silly romp of a movie.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Mad Max best film (not sci-fi, though). The Martian - best sci-fi film, a rebirth of the hard sci-fi genre and totally smashed that sorry 2001 rip-off called "Interstellar".
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I loved Mad Max and Star Wars, and have no qualms with any of the other choices, but it's hard to vote against The Martian. It wasn't just a great sci-fi movie, it was utterly revolutionary in a way the others aren't.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

TFA, because I don't consider the superhero stuff SciFi and haven't seen any of the others.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

K. A. Pital wrote:Mad Max best film (not sci-fi, though).
I thought about that too, but it is a speculative future.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Mad Max.

Nothing else really came close this year. Marvel's juggernaut lost its steam completely with AoU, followed by the surprisingly not too bad Antman. SPECTRE showed that serialising an episodic film series has some real problems. Jurassic World was a non-sucky reboot that needed to be twenty minutes shorter. Star Wars was essentially a fanfilm designed to retread old beloved ground as opposed to try new things.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Star Wars, because all the TFA haters annoy me.

But if I'm being honest...well it's still Star Wars, actually. Granted of the listed movies I've only actually seen TFA and Avengers, so it's not like I had a lot of choices. And of those two, while I enjoyed AoU I think Star Wars was just a little better to me. So there you have it. TFA by a hair.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

The Martian.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Whilst I think Mad Max is the best film of the year, I think it would be unfair to say it's the best sci-fi movie of the year - the sci fi in it was pretty minimal, and it was a chase/action movie. TFA was a great experience, but I think it will suffer in retrospect as, as much as I love it, it really is ANH again.

I think The Martian has to win, for trying to get as much science and speculation in as possible.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Fury Road is my pick, although I haven't seen the Martian. I can't imagine how TFA can be considered a contender when it wallows in mediocrity. It's basically a fan film produced by a big studio with top talent, and it isn't even the best fan film. Also, it's more obvious than ever that Abrams is a hack.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Voted Fury Road and Martain.

Fury Road best film.
Martain joint best film, best sci-fi film.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

TFA was the best Star Wars, but Martian did solidly get my vote for being probably the best hard science fiction film I've ever seen.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Well, Mad Max made me go "huh?" and haven't seen the Martian so have to go with Star Wars
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I saw three of the movies on that list. TFA, Mad Max and The Martian. Since I didn't see the others they are automatically out of the running for me.

For me sci-fi means futuristic technology, which Mad Max did not have. So I'm left with TFA and The Martian.

So I went with The Martian as I found it to be the better film.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, The Martian seems to be the clear winner.

Incidentally, the Golden Globes seem to agree- as of last night, The Martian took Best Picture (admittedly in the comedy category), and an acting award for Matt Damon.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Ex Machina was also quite good, though not as good as The Martian.