Extant

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Extant

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, back in 2014, CBS produced a TV that lasted two seasons called Extant, about life in the near future while dealing with an alien contagion and the rise of machines. Halle Berry stars as an astronaut for the ISEA, who spent 13 months alone on a space station. When she comes back to Earth, she finds out that she is already 12 weeks pregnant. Her husband, a robotics engineer who engineered a robot boy to rise as their child named Ethan, under the belief that providing a nurturing background for sentient robots will give the robots, called Humanichs, a basis in morality that programming wouldn't provide.

The show lasted two seasons, and you can tell that they were making up a few things as they went along. The huge shift between season 1, a rather small scale stay at home drama about a family in the future, to season 2, a 24 style show about aliens invading the world, with humanity deciding whether or not to use the Humanichs as their troops to fight them.

Anyone else give this series a shot?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Extant

Post by bilateralrope »

I enjoyed the first season.

I couldn't stand the huge shift in tone for season 2 and only got a few episodes in.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

You're probably saving yourself some time, then. The alien hybrid from season 1? They turn him and his killing and mind controlling of others into a good thing.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I dropped out half way through the first season, because I really had a hard time keeping track of who was who.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Pelranius wrote:I dropped out half way through the first season, because I really had a hard time keeping track of who was who.
I watched it back to back, the first season seems to work better as a sort of marathon.