Science fiction without FTL?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Science fiction without FTL?

Post by Adam Reynolds »

How many science fiction stories have been told entirely without FTL of any sort(including communications*)? There are very few that come to mind for me. The two fairly recent examples I can think of off the top of my head are Revelation Space and The Expanse. A few older works also have other ideas as well, but few recent ones qualify. And hardly any of these are popular.

* In a sense, this is actually worse than FTL travel as it more readily leads to causality violations. The problem in a nutshell is that it is possible to send a signal to a distant point and reach that point before the act that initially caused the signal to be sent occurred. Consider a hypothetical bullet being fired at a distant planet(B). Planet B sees the bullet being fired(with sensors that see at the speed of light) and sends an FTL signal to Planet A. Because that signal travels faster than the light beam, it would actually travel to a point in the past, before Planet A fired. If A then refuses to fire, how would B have seen the bullet that caused them to send the signal in the first place? It creates the same grandfather paradox as time travel.

Even Avatar apparently used FTL comms, despite otherwise plausible space travel. I believe they used the spooky action at a distance or quantum entanglement concept as a justification, as did Mass Effect. The problem with that idea is that while the information about corresponding states indeed travels faster than light, no usable information does. It's no different that sweeping a laser beam across a surface, while the tip of the beam can indeed travel faster than light in angular movement, it contains no usable information.
biostem
Jedi Master

Re: Science fiction without FTL?

Post by biostem »

Well, every scifi movie or show that doesn't include spacetravel... The Matrix, Blade Runner, Terminator, etc.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Sorry, what I meant was space opera settings. Or at least interstellar travel without FTL.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Neptune's Brood is a 'verse without any FTL. It's all lightspeed communication via comms laser with relatively slow physical transportation that not many people use (because "people" are actually all robots anyway, humans went extinct milennia ago, so their personalities can actually be transferred by comms laser and instantiated at the other end).
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Several Greg Egan stories.
Several Kim Stanley Robinson stories
Several early solar system travel stories like hg well's first man in the moon.
Grog
Padawan Learner

Post by Grog »

Firefly

Edit: Ah sorry this has FTL communication, right?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Grog wrote:Firefly
I don't think they come out and say so, but for realtime interplanetary communcations they pretty much need it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I would mention the Eclipse Phase RPG setting, although it does have limited FTL comms and mysterious wormhole gates left behind by mysterious and frightening AI monstrosities. There's also no interstellar travel by humans (in ships, anyway).
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Batman wrote:
Grog wrote:Firefly
I don't think they come out and say so, but for realtime interplanetary communcations they pretty much need it.
I thought it wasn't fully real time as I recall they had to get close before using it. Though now that I think about it, the movie Serenity did feature real time comms regardless.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It's been a while since I saw the series but from what I recall they seemed to make transsytem calls with no visible comms delays.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The roleplaying game Transhuman Space comes to mind.

I wanted to say the Quantum Thief trilogy, but the Zoku quantum entanglement does seem to be a form of FTL comm.

---

Hm... you know, a soft SF universe with blasters and laser swords and all kinds of wacky tech, but no FTL, would be interesting. What if you had a solar system full of different soft-sf nations and such, all on lightspeed delay from each other...?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Q99 wrote: Hm... you know, a soft SF universe with blasters and laser swords and all kinds of wacky tech, but no FTL, would be interesting. What if you had a solar system full of different soft-sf nations and such, all on lightspeed delay from each other...?
So Gundam then?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Peter Watt's Blindsight has neither FTL travel nor communications. Granted, they don't leave the solar system, either, but they do get out towards Jupiter.

Early in Larry Niven's Known Space collection there is no FTL travel or communications.

There have been any number of stories and novels about generation ships.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

There's also a lot of early Heinlein and Asimov, but I doubt they satisfy the space opera criterion.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Transhuman Space. Takes place in the Solar System in 2100 AD. No FTL communications or drives. Trips can take weeks or months.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Vendetta wrote:
Q99 wrote: Hm... you know, a soft SF universe with blasters and laser swords and all kinds of wacky tech, but no FTL, would be interesting. What if you had a solar system full of different soft-sf nations and such, all on lightspeed delay from each other...?
So Gundam then?

Oh, yes, that'd be an example!
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Q99 wrote:The roleplaying game Transhuman Space comes to mind.

I wanted to say the Quantum Thief trilogy, but the Zoku quantum entanglement does seem to be a form of FTL comm.

---

Hm... you know, a soft SF universe with blasters and laser swords and all kinds of wacky tech, but no FTL, would be interesting. What if you had a solar system full of different soft-sf nations and such, all on lightspeed delay from each other...?
As I said, early sci-fi about solar system exploration. The First Men in the Moon is hardly hard sci-fi, the whole concept is based around a material that can block gravity, and the moon is covered with coloured vegetation.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I can not remember who wrote it or anything but there was as story about a group of Traders who went from planet to planet on relativistic ships. One of its themes was how the characters interacted with a world that aged around them. One way to retire was to just stay planet side as their friends and family went out among the stars, when they came back the retiree would either be dead or extremely aged.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

jwl wrote: As I said, early sci-fi about solar system exploration. The First Men in the Moon is hardly hard sci-fi, the whole concept is based around a material that can block gravity, and the moon is covered with coloured vegetation.
Sure, but most of those don't have much setting building, and/or strongly resemble fantasy.
Omeros
Youngling

Post by Omeros »

Zwinmar wrote:I can not remember who wrote it or anything but there was as story about a group of Traders who went from planet to planet on relativistic ships. One of its themes was how the characters interacted with a world that aged around them. One way to retire was to just stay planet side as their friends and family went out among the stars, when they came back the retiree would either be dead or extremely aged.
Are you thinking of Ken MacLeod's Engines of Light series? It featured trading ships which teleported between star systems with what to the crews were instantaneous jumps, but to the outside world effectively travelled between destinations at the speed of light. Their visits to particular planets were often decades apart.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Tau Zero follows this idea...ish. Premise: colonisation spaceship accelerates to a high fraction of c to get to another planet with crew experiencing time dilation. Ship malfunctions and requires crew to continue to accelerate forcing the crew to deal with an obscenely high time dilation factor.
Ending gets a bit wonky and some of the maths has changed in the 45 years since it was written but it's an interesting premise.

I did once read a book which for the life of me can't remember the title but it involved a team of people on a research spacecraft travelling to the future via speed induced time dilation (spaceship journeys on a circular path through the galaxy accelerating and then decelerating such that the crew experiences a year at a time but the earth many decades. That book also went wonky after it had fleshed out all the 'science' and ended up with a final crew member genetically engineering an alien species to destroy the human race to teach it a lesson and then repopulating Earth after Big-crunch/big-bang
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

There's a new series on the SYFY Channel based on The Expanse books mentioned by the OP. It is a space series without FTL, dealing with pretty much the inner planets of the Solar System. Any extra-solar travel is described taking hundreds of years with the Mormons in the show building a generation ark to colonize another world.

A pretty good show and shows a interesting show can be made without FTL.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Starhunter only took place in Earth's solar system.

It ran for two seasons in the early 2000s, but it looks like it might be coming back as Starhunter Transformation late next year. That's a little weird for a show that used to be on really late in syndication where I am.

If you watch it I think you might see some similarities to Firefly.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Between The Strokes of Night has no FTL, although the planet-bound cultures think the spacedwelling culture does. What they actually have is a treatment that drastically slows down the metabolism & subjective experience of time (and increases the subjective lifespan). So from their own perspective they are traveling FTL in ships traveling at 1 g, while in reality they are on low acceleration ships & barely moving.

Marooned in Realtime had no FTL; Della Lu traveled at STL between the stars before returning to Earth.

In the Belisarius series FTL is mentioned to be impossible, it took millions of years for future humanity and their descendants to colonize the Milky Way and its neighbors.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Omega18
Jedi Knight

Post by Omega18 »

Unless it actually had FTL communications and I don't remember, the Bio of a Space Tyrant series by Piers Anthony basically qualifies although they do invent FTL travel towards the very end of book five, although that part basically serves as an epilogue to the series. Its a series where until that point I believe everything was confined to basically the solar system (but a rather well colonized one).

A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge also effectively qualifies. While its true that it takes place in the same universe as A Fire in the Deep which does have FTL and faster than light communications, the entire book and essentially past experiences of everyone and the civilizations in the book has occurred entirely in the "Slow Zone" part of the galaxy where FTL and faster than light communications don't work among other things. (And they have no idea that the rules are different in another part of the galaxy.) It also would be a better example of a significant focus on space based civilizations written by Vinge as opposed to Marooned in Realtime.

While not really space opera persay, with basically the exception of one plot detail which is technically speculation, the very recent Solar Express by L.E. Modesitt J.R. would qualify.

While solar system based, Manta's Gift by Timothy Zahn qualifies with an exception to the FTL travel rule showing up in actually fairly unexpected way at the very end of the book.

The Harry Turtledove Worldwar and Colonization series would both qualify with FTL travel not being invented until the very end of the 8th book Homeward Bound. (With no FTL communications at all. It should be noted though that especially the first series is focused on what if aliens invaded in the middle of WW2 versus actual space opera and the realism regarding how much trouble the aliens have certainly is a potential point of criticism, but the books do deal with some implications of no FTL travel or communications.)

While the other books in the series don't strictly qualify the book The Dispossessed by Ursula Guin does. The next novel chronologically in the series, The Word for World is Forest does occur right after the invention of purely FTL communications but does go into the implications of a expanding space bound civilization which previously didn't have this ability. (It also appears to be perhaps the mostly likely source of inspiration for Avatar's plot by the way. I would also suggest reading the book set later chronologically in the same universe in the Left Hand of Darkness just because its a good book, although I believe faster than light travel still doesn't exist in the book.)