W40K TT game if it was in real time

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Elaro
Padawan Learner

W40K TT game if it was in real time

Post by Elaro »

Move this if this is in the wrong forum...

How long in seconds should a marine last if he's being shot by one chaos marine with a boltgun? How much time does it take to shoot one attack's worth of damage from a weapon if that weapon is Assault 1? Rapid Fire?

Basically, what should Eternal Crusade, a MMOTPS, strive towards if it wants to deliver an authentic 40k experience? I ask this because there's a lot of complaints by the players in the dev's Alpha forums about various [REDACTED] being too/not enough [REDACTED], and I tried to discuss the topic with the players, but... they're not rigorous and analytical like you guys. :banghead:

Like, I figured out that 6'' on the tabletop is 28.5 feet, and since that distance is crossed "while the character is advancing slowly and training their gun on things" and that every army advances 6'' during the movement phase, I figure that everyone must move at about the same pace, which I estimated to be walking speed, or 4.5 feet/second, which would give a movement phase of 6.33 seconds.

But how long is a shooting phase? I previously thought, perhaps wrongly, that the shooting phase took place while the characters were moving. It explains how Heavy weapons can be fired as a snapshot even if the character moved, because I previously thought that they needed the whole movement phase to set up their weapon so that they could fire at all, but apparently that isn't required.
"The surest sign that the world was not created by an omnipotent Being who loves us is that the Earth is not an infinite plane and it does not rain meat."

"Lo, how free the madman is! He can observe beyond mere reality, and cogitates untroubled by the bounds of relevance."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: W40K TT game if it was in real time

Post by madd0ct0r »

Scale in 40k is telescopic. 12" represents more then twice the distance 6" does. 48" represents a much larger distance then four time 12" and so on. Otherwise weapon ranges don't make any sense.

Epic Armageddon treats a turn as 15min. An engage action is the equivalent of an entire game of 40k, and takes a third of a turn of epic, suggesting 5min for entire thing.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Why are you trying to work backwards from the tabletop game in the first place? You'd do much better to read the novels, look at real world firefights, and extrapolate from there.
Elaro
Padawan Learner

Post by Elaro »

@Jub
A)The novels are inconsistent and mostly depict heroes, not grunts
B)Real world engagements favor certain tactics which aren't used on the tabletop, and so far, Eternal Crusade [REDACTED] which is why I want to know what TableTop In Real Time looks like.

@madd0ct0r
re: greater than linear distance growth: Okay, so throw everything I said into the garbage then. :<

Better question: if a SM/CSM survives 2 seconds* under constant fire from 1 boltgun, how long would an ork last?

*game still in alpha, values subject to change.
"The surest sign that the world was not created by an omnipotent Being who loves us is that the Earth is not an infinite plane and it does not rain meat."

"Lo, how free the madman is! He can observe beyond mere reality, and cogitates untroubled by the bounds of relevance."
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Elaro wrote:@JubA)The novels are inconsistent and mostly depict heroes, not grunts
All of 40k is inconsistent, that includes the tabletop game. Do power swords cut through terminator armor as they did before the melee weapon AP change or do they do just as well as a chainsword as it is with the current rules? Can marines fire overwatch as they do in the current rules or can't they based on older editions? Can bolters do real damage (immobilize or destroy a weapon) to an AV10 target, or do they merely glance and remove a hullpoint?

The rules are no more consistent over a span of years than the novels. So I question your desire to use the table top as your baseline.
B)Real world engagements favor certain tactics which aren't used on the tabletop, and so far, Eternal Crusade [REDACTED] which is why I want to know what TableTop In Real Time looks like.
Leapfrogging happens on the tabletop, taking cover happens, taking elevated positions happens, flanking happens (even though it gives no advantage rules wise), suppressive fire happens. In the broad strokes allowed by a finite set of rules, 40k does a reasonable job allowing real world tactics to be used. Some things work better and others worse due to the various weapons and armors involved, but it's all there.

What do you feel isn't represented on the table top?
Better question: if a SM/CSM survives 2 seconds* under constant fire from 1 boltgun, how long would an ork last?

*game still in alpha, values subject to change.
How are you deriving your 2-second number, or is it just a value that works for the game you're playing?

In any case, if we must go by the tabletop, a space marine shooting at another space marine will require ~9 shots (assumed to be 9 four round bursts of bolter fire) to kill another space marine. This would take roughly 5 combat rounds if the enemy was within rapid fire range the entire time. If we assume that each shot hits the space marine and his armor can absorb 6 bolter hits (24 rounds) before taking a wound. The tabletop rules are vague as to what wounded means, aside from the model no longer being able to fight.

As for your ork, are we talking a standard ork boy, a boy wearing heavy armor, a nob, a meganob, a loota, a tank busta?

If it's a standard boy it takes roughly 3 rounds if we're taking rolling hits into account, and 2 rounds if we assume that each round hits. This makes the standard boy 3 times less resistant to bolter fire than a marine. If we give that same ork a cybork body those numbers go to just over 3 and 2 respectively. Wearing some 'eavy armor they take twice as many hits to go down as a standard ork so 6 and 4 rounds respectively. Nobz take twice the firepower a boy does to bring down. So 6 and 4 in a t-shirt, and 12 and 8 in 'eavy armor.

If you want to go by table top you need to decide if bolters fire 720 rpm (24 rounds in 2 seconds) and assuming all rounds hit, or 1,080 (36 rounds in 2 seconds) assuming some rounds may miss. Or if they ought to fire faster or slower than either of those numbers. My two bits says that a 720 rpm cyclic rate of fire would be just fine for a bolter and that 1,080 seems a little fast. I'd also hazard a guess that some random bit of fluff sets the value at something entirely different to either of those numbers...

That said, go with what feels good and seems to fit your game over trying to strictly match the tabletop or the fluff. You're bound to have hardcore fans nitpicking you on the minutia either way.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

at 1080 rpm, where are they keeping the ammo?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Jub wrote: That said, go with what feels good and seems to fit your game over trying to strictly match the tabletop or the fluff. You're bound to have hardcore fans nitpicking you on the minutia either way.
This is the only thing you can really do. Read up on the fluff and the novels, check out a few comics, and so forth. Establish a few rules of thumb and go from there. These are just a few off the top of my head--

For example, a standard Space Marine in power armour will be tougher than a standard Ork Boy, but perhaps equivalent to an un-armoured Nob. PC Boyz could upgrade in order to be tougher perhaps by the addition of armour or heavier weapons (or, knowing Orks, both). Terminator armour makes Marines equivalent to a Nob in 'Eavy Armour, say 3x-5x the protection of standard armour (depending on upgrades).

Power weapons wielded by a standard Space Marine have, say, a 40% or 30% chance of penetrating heavy Terminator-style armour per hit. Force weapons on the other hand should be far more reliable, but more expensive and difficult to get, requiring a Librarian or Sorcerer character path. The exception would be Eldar.

Eldar, to make up for their lighter armour and durability, have more speed, are harder to hit, and may have various low-tier psychic buffs they can use that the other races don't (except perhaps Chaos). They would naturally have the strongest low-tier psyker characters. Aspect Warrior Exarchs should be fairly difficult to kill, and a Farseer should be capable of wreaking carnage. It would be somewhat too difficult to do Wraith warriors except as NPC's.

Chaos would have stats fairly similar to Space Marines but with more 'corruption', for example if a Khorne Berserker falls under a certain HP he goes nuts and rampages in a random direction. Perhaps more relic weapons available, and of course daemonic weapons and other upgrades.

So that's what I think. Develop a few basic rules of thumb, some simple profiles, and roll with it. Don't worry too much about being true to the tabletop because that's just silly. The original Dawn of War was about the closest you could get.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

madd0ct0r wrote:at 1080 rpm, where are they keeping the ammo?
I'd say that they probably aren't carrying enough ammo for a full minute of firing. Much the same way that an M-16 could have dumped 700+ rounds in a minute on full auto, but a mag only carries 20-30 rounds.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

As others have said, it's better to take a wider and softer approach rather than focusing on a literalist interpretation of an arbitrary edition (1st? 2nd? 3rd? 4th? 5th? Inquisitor? Necromunda? Dark Heresy? Deathwatch? Epic?) of 40K's tabletop rules. It's a fool's errand to try to take a game's mechanics literally - because a game's mechanics are, by design, abstractions! The Range, Strength, AP, Type, and Special Rules of a Godwyn-pattern Bolter are not the Omnissiah's literal truth handed down for you to regurgitate by rote, but are themselves abstract approximations that model how that Bolter might actually behave were it real, relative to other components were they real (such as the Toughness value of a Chaos Space Marine) - although even that is further modulated by the themes and style the game's designers are trying to evoke (i.e., the game may not necessarily be trying to be "realistic"), as well as mundane concerns like game balance.

So, those tabletop rules can be used as a point of reference. It's legitimate to look at them and call them Interpretation X, and then look at Interpretation Y, and then ask yourself if they seem to consistently model the same underlying concept. If a Bolter in Interpretation X violently turns lightly-armored humans into bloody pulp, then a Bolter in Interpretation Y should probably behave similarly and achieve broadly similar results in similar circumstances. You can make those assessments by comparing its Strength of 4 and its AP of 5 to a human's Toughness of 3 and Armor Save of 5+, and deducing "Hm, a regular human target is probably going be pulverized by this Bolter," but you can't (or shouldn't) start trying to quantify Strength 4 as any particular amount of TNT or Toughness 3 to represent any specific level of biological resilience to explosive death beyond "human-like." The stats and numbers and rules are useful as vague, abstract points of reference and guidelines, but not as hard, literal, or tangible factoids.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elaro wrote:Move this if this is in the wrong forum...

How long in seconds should a marine last if he's being shot by one chaos marine with a boltgun? How much time does it take to shoot one attack's worth of damage from a weapon if that weapon is Assault 1? Rapid Fire?
There is no way this is going to have a consistent answer. The tabletop is turn-based precisely because it abstracts out questions like "how much fire" and "how many times do these soldiers actually shoot?"
Basically, what should Eternal Crusade, a MMOTPS, strive towards if it wants to deliver an authentic 40k experience? I ask this because there's a lot of complaints by the players in the dev's Alpha forums about various [REDACTED] being too/not enough [REDACTED], and I tried to discuss the topic with the players, but... they're not rigorous and analytical like you guys. :banghead:
Well, if you're seriously thinking about this... what kinds of things show up in the game? You're never going to get "realism" because many 40k weapons and beings are inherently unrealistic- such as orks who can survive being decapitated and having their head sewn back on with a rusty needle, such as Space Marines firing off grenade rounds from their absurdly large-caliber bolters and somehow having hundreds of rounds on their person despite the lack of any obvious place to store that much ammunition.

What you can do is get some kind of a realistic sense of what 'firepower' means. There are things as tough as a human, things significantly tougher than human, things freakishly tougher than anything remotely human. There are weapons that are a serious threat to a human which the heaviest unpowered body armor a man can wear is only moderately effective against (e.g. lasguns) Things escalate from there.
Like, I figured out that 6'' on the tabletop is 28.5 feet, and since that distance is crossed "while the character is advancing slowly and training their gun on things" and that every army advances 6'' during the movement phase, I figure that everyone must move at about the same pace, which I estimated to be walking speed, or 4.5 feet/second, which would give a movement phase of 6.33 seconds.
As noted, this isn't credible, because it strongly implies that mortars and sniper rifles only have eight times as much effective range as flamethrowers. That's not 'realism' in any sense of the word.
But how long is a shooting phase? I previously thought, perhaps wrongly, that the shooting phase took place while the characters were moving. It explains how Heavy weapons can be fired as a snapshot even if the character moved, because I previously thought that they needed the whole movement phase to set up their weapon so that they could fire at all, but apparently that isn't required.
There isn't going to be a single answer to this. A squad holed up in a fortified building might get blown up by a shell or two from a Basilisk... but that could represent a single lucky shot, or it could represent hours of sustained shelling and suppressing fire trapping the squad in the building from surrounding heavy weapons emplacements. There are too many variables in play.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov