A qurious scenario

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

A qurious scenario

Post by Purple »

Imagine for a moment legends cannon. The Outbound Flight Project proceeds as planned slipping somehow under the watchful eyes of Palpatine, or maybe he decides to just let it go. Fate however will not let them get off that easy. As they near the galactic edge the fleet picks up a curious beacon. Its language indecipherable and origin unknown the fleet makes the mistake of bringing it on board their flagship for investigation. And I say mistake for a good reason. For in doing what they do the Jedi seal their own faith. The beacon, you see contains a sample of the beast.

What do you guys think happens next?

For those that need links:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Outbound_Flight_Project
http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/The_Beas
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: A qurious scenario

Post by Ahriman238 »

Article not found.

Only vaguely familiar with Homeworld, no idea what the Beast is.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Ahriman238 wrote:Article not found.

Only vaguely familiar with Homeworld, no idea what the Beast is.
For some strange reason the forum ate up the T at the end of the link. Try this:
http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/The_Beast
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Intelligent virus? Seems to me they'd turn around to spread it better. Be funny if they ran into the Vong like certain parties were afraid they would.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Beast is, at least, an interestingly credible threat in Star Wars because of two factors.

One, it operates by hijacking its enemies' technology and ships. Therefore, it does an end-run around the usual problem of "but Star Wars weapons are so powerful they can pasteurize a planet," because it uses the enemy's own weapons against him.

Two, Star Wars hyperdrive is extremely fast and flexible. This makes it very easy for the Beast to hide in remote areas, and correspondingly hard to eradicate. Alternatively, if the Beast has had plenty of time to plan its attack, it also makes a rapid decapitation-style attack feasible- the Beast can take a relatively small force of infested ships and strike at great industrial and population centers, infesting key worlds in very short order.

Now, there's a good chance Star Wars technology will permit the creation of a cure or sterilization procedure, since the civilizations of the Homeworld setting were able to do so as well despite having at best roughly equivalent technology. But the Beast is definitely a nasty customer to overcome.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov