New GIANT starship comparison sheet BIG!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

New GIANT starship comparison sheet BIG!

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Soon the ever unending quest for awesome spaceships, I came across this:

NOTE for those that want to see the "Full size" mega pic:
http://orig00.deviantart.net/55c9/f/201 ... 8kzf7m.png

WARNING It's 5000 by 5500 pixels, BIG
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: New GIANT startup comparison sheet BIG!

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

OMG And yes it is supposed o be STAR SHIP not Startup. Curse you auto correct!!!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

'Twin Death Stars'? 'Ultra-Class Star Destroyers'? A Type 40 TARDIS being of a measurable size rather than infinite? What nonsense is this? :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah some of those must have come from deep in the EU, since I've never heard of them...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I've heard of the Imperium Ultra class (it's a design on wolfsshipyard.com), but never the Ascendancy class.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Borgholio wrote:Yeah some of those must have come from deep in the EU, since I've never heard of them...
More and more, I appreciate the decision to raze the EU to the ground...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: New GIANT starship comparison sheet BIG!

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Imperium Ultra is a fanwank joke. It's not really meant to be taken seriously.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Chimaera wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Yeah some of those must have come from deep in the EU, since I've never heard of them...
More and more, I appreciate the decision to raze the EU to the ground...
I'm personally developing the opinion that only the movies should be taken at face value as far as Canon goes. The TV shows like Clone Wars should be able to fill in the gaps but any conflicts should be overridden by the movies. The books...well...same goes for them. I think given how the new EU is likely going to be as patchwork as the old, it might make sense to just disregard parts of it that are contradictory or simply don't make sense.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Since I've reviewed the picture:

Damn, Craftworlds are big.

This picture is lacking Perry Rhodan rather badly. Also the Skylark and Galactic Patrol universe ships.

I think a few of the bigger Star Wars ships, at least, are fan creations. The Imperium Ultra and whatever the other abomination is definitely are. The 'Twin Death Stars' are quasi-Legendaries canon though, they come from Ralph Mcquarrie's art book about Star Wars planets-- they're in orbit around Coruscant, apparently, and the superlasers aren't functional. Pretty sure they weren't that big though.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Also, I thought the generally accepted size of the DS2 was 900km rather than 160?

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The Imperium Ultra, even in the fan work that created it, was never actually built, it was an insane plan by the Reborn Emperor to spread his immortal Empire through the universe, complete with World Devastators and cloning facilities aboard....yeah.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Chimaera wrote:Also, I thought the generally accepted size of the DS2 was 900km rather than 160?
160 is canon. 900 is something of an extreme-end-of-the-scale estimate, IIRC, based upon the curvature (or lack thereof) visible when the Executor rams the DS. Most visuals reinforce the 160 km number... or so I believe... haven't bothered following that for a while.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The Imperium Ultra, even in the fan work that created it, was never actually built, it was an insane plan by the Reborn Emperor to spread his immortal Empire through the universe, complete with World Devastators and cloning facilities aboard....yeah.
And it's hangar contained two Executors and a dozen normal ISDs. Yeah...
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Chimaera wrote:Also, I thought the generally accepted size of the DS2 was 900km rather than 160?
160 is canon. 900 is something of an extreme-end-of-the-scale estimate, IIRC, based upon the curvature (or lack thereof) visible when the Executor rams the DS. Most visuals reinforce the 160 km number... or so I believe... haven't bothered following that for a while.
As a reminder, the higher number comes from a CINEFEX article where an employee of ILM outright says the model represents a ~500 mile station, which matches closely to representations of the DS2 when compared to the size of the Endor moon both on the holographic display at the rebel briefing and when the rebel fleet comes out of hyperspace on their way to attack the DS2. I think it's been argued that the visual canon is much stronger in favor of the larger size rather than the arbitrary 160km number, which is actually the size of the DS1 rather than the second station.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

applejack wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:
As a reminder, the higher number comes from a CINEFEX article where an employee of ILM outright says the model represents a ~500 mile station, which matches closely to representations of the DS2 when compared to the size of the Endor moon both on the holographic display at the rebel briefing and when the rebel fleet comes out of hyperspace on their way to attack the DS2. I think it's been argued that the visual canon is much stronger in favor of the larger size rather than the arbitrary 160km number, which is actually the size of the DS1 rather than the second station.
I suppose I got it flipped. Those particular debates are long past, so no wonder I would forget the particulars :P
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I know they don't really have easily cut and pasted pictures, but I'd love to see some Culture GSUs and Orbitals on one of these charts.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of these giant ship charts. Sure, it's nice to compare Dolza's flagship with the Death Star, but that's all anyone does nowadays. It's a lot of wank that leaves out so many of the most iconic ships in Science Fiction, or leaves them as tiny dots among behemoths.

I'm tired of Star Destroyers being on the small end. I wanna compare Serenity with the Normandy. I wanna see if an X-Wing is longer than the Strike Gundam is tall. How much longer is the Enterprise-D than a White Star?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Still no Dahakverse battle moons. :(
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Weren't the twin Death Stars from early concepts in ROTJ?

Why is it that the 160 km is the new canon for DS2? When was that decided? Aren't we still allowed to throw out inaccurate information as in universe propaganda under SOD? Given that the New Republic doesn't fully seem to form in the new canon as they did in the old EU, perhaps their information machine is even less accurate than in the old canon. Given what what we saw in the Ultimate Star Wars book, this would make sense.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Adam Reynolds wrote:Weren't the twin Death Stars from early concepts in ROTJ?
Yes; as noted, they were recycled in the 'Worlds of Star Wars' McQuarrie art book.
Why is it that the 160 km is the new canon for DS2? When was that decided? Aren't we still allowed to throw out inaccurate information as in universe propaganda under SOD? Given that the New Republic doesn't fully seem to form in the new canon as they did in the old EU, perhaps their information machine is even less accurate than in the old canon. Given what what we saw in the Ultimate Star Wars book, this would make sense.
Because Pablo Hidalgo or whomever was in charge at LFL got tired of all the squabbling and went 'OK, it's 160 km, now shut up about it, we don't care how big the visuals make it or whatever, it's 160 km and that's it'.

Really that's pretty much what it boiled down to.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Considering that image contain fan art which is based on pure speculation (The Type 40 TARDIS), I don't think this graph has much credibility.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Elheru Aran wrote:Because Pablo Hidalgo or whomever was in charge at LFL got tired of all the squabbling and went 'OK, it's 160 km, now shut up about it, we don't care how big the visuals make it or whatever, it's 160 km and that's it'.

Too bad that he picked the wrong number. By that logic we can't say how much firepower the Death Star or X-wings have from the films. Those are based on similar scaling techniques.

The second Death Star represents a massive piece of the Galactic Empire's military strength. The first Death Star was built concurrently with a conventional buildup. The increase in size is related to the fact that it appears that star wars weapon power doesn't scale linearly. It is closer to logarithmic in scaling. Thus it requires a massive increase in size for a moderate increase in firepower. The second Death Star is a part of this trend.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Because Pablo Hidalgo or whomever was in charge at LFL got tired of all the squabbling and went 'OK, it's 160 km, now shut up about it, we don't care how big the visuals make it or whatever, it's 160 km and that's it'.

Too bad that he picked the wrong number. By that logic we can't say how much firepower the Death Star or X-wings have from the films. Those are based on similar scaling techniques.

The second Death Star represents a massive piece of the Galactic Empire's military strength. The first Death Star was built concurrently with a conventional buildup. The increase in size is related to the fact that it appears that star wars weapon power doesn't scale linearly. It is closer to logarithmic in scaling. Thus it requires a massive increase in size for a moderate increase in firepower. The second Death Star is a part of this trend.
Yeah, that's good and all. But that's not really what Hidalgo and company were interested in. As far as they're concerned, the technology and actual capabilities of the Star Wars universe aren't terribly important as long as it's generally consistent within the universe. Telling stories and preserving a shared continuity were more important, and for whatever reason, they didn't care to go with a larger number, perhaps from a simple lack of ability to properly visualize it-- it can be difficult to imagine such large sizes. That's why charts such as this are helpful-- they help with that.

(And really... isn't 900km somewhat incredible compared to 160? That would be slightly smaller than the Unicron sphere in that picture...)
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Elheru Aran wrote:The Imperium Ultra is a fanwank joke. It's not really meant to be taken seriously.
Hail Ree'Ak'Tor! Death to the planet-raiders! Long live the Marshal!

*sacrifices TIE pilot*
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Elheru Aran wrote:(And really... isn't 900km somewhat incredible compared to 160? That would be slightly smaller than the Unicron sphere in that picture...)
Starkiller Base is a converted ice planet, so no superweapon is too big for Imperials. :D

Don't know if it's mobile though, and I don't care much for spoilers at this point, but one would think it is, unless the main weapon (presumably the big red emitter on the official poster) has transgalactic ranges.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson