World building a star system

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SMJB
Padawan Learner

World building a star system

Post by SMJB »

Right, so here's (a somewhat cleaned up version of) the numbers I've come up with so far with the help of several Artifexian* videos:

* https://www.youtube.com/user/Artifexian/videos

Right, the backstory is that there was a Terran civilization which collapsed long ago (in the far future for us) and the natives of B1 and A4 have had to bootstrap themselves back up from the stone age. The basic idea is to have a way to have first-contact situations, retro-style space colonization, and humanoid "aliens" in a hard-scifi setting.

B1, as you might notice above, is really, really dense. It has a very massive iron core, believed to be due to having had most of its mantle blown off in geologic deep time (like Mercury). I deliberately didn't put any planets inside its orbit in order to imply that it migrated out. When it was terraformed, there were quite a lot of volatiles to be sequestered, and so there are now veins of iron and nickel that was created by the terraforming nanites. In an old sideblog of mine (http://shaunwritesstuff.tumblr.com/post ... two-worlds) I went into a lot of detail about an earlier version of the idea, most of the details of which still hold. (The names for the planets, as you can probably guess from the fact that I haven't used them in this post, probably won't.)

I also deliberately gave the stars large eccentricities. A major theme of the story I want to write is about having to get from B1 to A4 while the stars are relatively close together because that won't happen for another...I don't know; there weren't any videos on how long the stars take to orbit one another. I also deliberately had the "forbidden zone" intrude so close in spite of Artifexian's instruction to explain why there's no planets outside of 20 AU from their primaries. (Earth continents added for reference.) Those numbered lists at the center of the second picture denote the number of days to each month of the local year; ".5"s denote where you put a leap day.

So my question is, am I doing this, just, even remotely right? I'd also like to know what the orbital period for the stars around each other is--and I'm sure there's things I haven't even thought of.
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: World building a star system

Post by madd0ct0r »

um, can you sketch the plaents, stars and rough orbits on a napkin for me? Hard to picture this at the moment.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It all depends on where the stars are located witin the galaxy- if they're orbiting one another it's a binary system and what you have to decide is whether you're going to make them circumbinary planets.
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Post by SMJB »

Yo, turns out I did screw up. With the years of the various planets, specifically. Their calendars will have to be totally redone.
madd0ct0r wrote:um, can you sketch the plaents, stars and rough orbits on a napkin for me? Hard to picture this at the moment.
I'll work on that.
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:It all depends on where the stars are located witin the galaxy- if they're orbiting one another it's a binary system and what you have to decide is whether you're going to make them circumbinary planets.
< 3000 lightyears away, and yeah they're orbiting one another. That's kind of the entire point? Did you not notice the talk of barycenters at the bottom of the second picture, or where I explicitly said that one planet was mounting a time-sensitive expedition to the other because they wouldn't be that close to one another again for a long, long time?
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."