Gutenberg Archives: The Copper-Clad World

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Gutenberg Archives: The Copper-Clad World

Post by Broomstick »

Wow, this was classic Space Opera. The Copper-Clad World by Harl Vincent, available here, published in 1931, it was the height of pulp SF and space operas so no surprise, really.

So - fast-paced action. Don't think too hard about the science here. First of all, it's 1931, we didn't know as much back then about the solar system or energy generation and certainly about space travel of any sort. There are violations of the conservation of energy, and we now know that the moons of Jupiter are much more numerous and aren't anything like what's depicted here. Now, he did get it correct that moving such a moon out of its present orbit will be disruptive to the rest of the system, but I'm pretty sure not nearly as much, or as suddenly as depicted here.

LOTS of cliches, racial stereotyping, humanoid "aliens", and caricatures of damsels in distress - well, caricatures by our current standards. I alternated between laughing and being offended at times.

Still, as with any quality SF, there were some interesting ideas there. The copper-clad world refers to a world/moon entirely enclosed in a shell, like a Dyson sphere except it surrounds a rocky body instead of a star. I doubt copper would be the ideal material for such a shell but i guess it sounded too cool not to use. There is some notion of using nuclear power sources but poorly expressed... probably because nuclear power was only theoretical at the time. This was published 7 years before the discovery of nuclear fission and 11 years before the first atomic pile and controlled chain reaction.

Unfortunately, the characters are not particularly well developed or plausible as people - which is sort of typical of the space opera genre. The "heroine", in particular, was a cardboard cliche of clinging desperation and hero-worship of "my Carson" :roll: with the hero apparently admiring the girl's courage in draping herself over a perfect stranger from another planet and professing love. :roll: Bad guys are ugly, good guys are good looking. Very black hat/white hat in approach.

If you've only known space opera from parodies this is your opportunity to see the real deal. Not as good as the Lensmen series by EE Doc Smith, but then, there's a reason Lensmen is considered a classic. A lot shorter, though.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gutenberg Archives: The Copper-Clad World

Post by Simon_Jester »

I feel like the Lensman novels are good enough in general to at least mostly stand up to, well... modernity. The characterization is bad but less bad, there's plenty of imagination behind the aliens and worlds depicted, things like that.

A lot of other pulp-era space opera doesn't make that grade.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

True.

Which is why we know the genre more from parodies than from actual examples.

This example does show some imagination, but also resorts to cliches. They probably weren't as cliched at the time as we now perceive them to be. In many ways, it's more about wish fulfillment - the protagonist gets to be a hero and gets a girl and later, presumably, gets laid - than about science. Sure, I can see the appeal to a young man, which was the target demographic for these.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Broomstick wrote:Which is why we know the genre more from parodies than from actual examples.
Speaking of which, I wonder how many people these days have read, or even heard of, Back Stage Lensman. In among all the hilarious riffs, it's got a wonderful line that I sometimes use as a .sig when I'm in the mood:
"No sentient being ever has donned or ever will don the garb of the Gray Lensman without making the sign of the Lensman's Seal. It's the only way to get the zipper closed."
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The original Buck Rogers serials were also a higher quality product of the genre which largely avoided what we would now consider sexist female stereotypes by simply not having a lot of women in the stories. (Which is not to say the few women in the stories didn't follow such tropes) I know they were available on Netflix US last summer, they might still be there if anyone is interested in taking a look