Where in the Multiverse Would You Build an Empire?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Where in the Multiverse Would You Build an Empire?

Post by Purple »

SW droids seem to be far more reliable. Especially once I explicitly program them with Asimovian laws that replace "human" with Purple.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Half of Asimov's writing involving the 4 laws is about them not working as advertised.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Batman wrote:Half of Asimov's writing involving the 4 laws is about them not working as advertised.
That's because his robots could not solve any conflicts with a quick memory wipe.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Actually, for robots, I might use the standard NS5s from the film I, Robot. They seem quite capable and loyal (they only rebelled because they were being controlled by a more sophisticated AI). The only point on which I'm not clear is weather they were self-aware. If the answer is no, then they're pretty much perfect for my purposes.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

I'd prefer SW droids because they are sentient enough to be very useful and already have a knowledge based to repair and than later maintain the Death Star I'd be using. Than again, if I am going full SF forget the death star. I am taking a world devastator.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Star Trek holograms have a certain appeal as well, provided I have access to mobile emitters for them.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Perhaps. But they have a tendency of becoming too free spirited. Not to mention the inherent fragility of all Star Trek tech. And a good lord takes no such chances. It would seem, at least to me that they perform no task apart from companionship in a superior way to SW droids. And I can claim all my desires for that by different means.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The ability to appear completely human could be invaluable for infiltration, and might make them better at interacting with humans as diplomats/messengers/servants.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

That may be so. But I find there to be, my intentions as given few who would support me and many who would oppose me. And those that would conduct with me diplomacy would do so not from desires of friendship but fear of my might or in turn desire born there off to see it used against their enemies. And in both these cases a show of certainty and strength would be preferable to one of submission. So I would strive to make my diplomats robotic on purpose so as to show my self as a machine, a hive of metal which can not be stopped. So that they might see me as an agent to be used or a master to be fear. And lest they think of me as their equal to be schemed and plotted against.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

HRDs. Initially indistinguishable from humanoids too, don't poof out of existence when the emitter is deactivated.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Those too. Also, I'd make a harem of those to serve as both bodyguards and attendants. And style them after anime girls.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Purple wrote:That may be so. But I find there to be, my intentions as given few who would support me and many who would oppose me. And those that would conduct with me diplomacy would do so not from desires of friendship but fear of my might or in turn desire born there off to see it used against their enemies. And in both these cases a show of certainty and strength would be preferable to one of submission. So I would strive to make my diplomats robotic on purpose so as to show my self as a machine, a hive of metal which can not be stopped. So that they might see me as an agent to be used or a master to be fear. And lest they think of me as their equal to be schemed and plotted against.
Yeah, well, I'm not planning on running things as a tyrant.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with Star Wars droids. And I would certainly have firepower on hand in case its needed.

My force would feature machines (I haven't decided if I'f go for holograms, NS5s, Star Wars battle droids, or something else) armed with phasers. I know Star Trek isn't traditionally held in very high regard here, but phasers are versatile. As I recall, the list of their abilities, gained from various sources, includes killing, vaporizing, stunning, wide beam shots, explosives (by having them overload), and heating things up. Nice all-purpose weapons/tools.

Also, in response to your last post: Ew, anime. In any case, a ruler must put ability before sex appeal.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Yeah, well, I'm not planning on running things as a tyrant.
Not a tyrant as such. For a ruler can only be a tyrant if he rules. I intend to be a force of malignant nature, kind of like Attila the Hun taking my share in ransom and entertaining my self with crushing those that do not pay protection. Hence the world devastator. I'd have that thing repair it self and than build it self up until it reaches the size of... say Jupiter.
I know Star Trek isn't traditionally held in very high regard here, but phasers are versatile. As I recall, the list of their abilities, gained from various sources, includes killing, vaporizing, stunning, wide beam shots, explosives (by having them overload), and heating things up. Nice all-purpose weapons/tools.
That much we agree on. I too would like to get a hold of a batch of those. I wonder how hard it would be to, given examples make the world devastator manufacture them.
Also, in response to your last post: Ew, anime. In any case, a ruler must put ability before sex appeal.
I do believe that sex appeal is, at least for the role of members of ones harem part of the ability.

SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

I would take the Star Forge as my fortress and guard it with lower-functioning Necron Warriors and Immortals.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

Batman wrote:Half of Asimov's writing involving the 4 laws is about them not working as advertised.
Oh come now, those were clearly edge cases presented because they were edge cases, and thus interesting. The vast majority of the robots in the universe are faceless background to other stories.

I also think SW droids do not need reprogramming - they have restraining bolts built into the universe that presumably preform a similar (if not superior) function. I don't recall any battle droids turning on or killing their creators.

I'd try to do something with Schlockverse. Not sure if I want to be *FROM* there or go *TO* there though - they have among the best FTL* and battlearmor/uniform** technologies in sci-fi, but their starships are harder to quantify.

Oh, and (Really a spoiler if you're not up to date)
Spoiler
everyone in-universe effectively has immortality now - you can blow someone largely to bits and as long as you scrape enough of them back together, they'll be fine excepting a week or so lapse in memory
*Coat-button-sized point-to-point instantaneous drive that doesn't require an external power source
**Skin-tight bulletproof flying uniform w/built-in retractable helmet that provides some vacuum ability- IIRC- issued as standard to all military units. If they're going into a *real* fire fight, they have a dizzying array of power suits
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

But do they have sexbots? I think not.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Hmmm...I think I would chose the Dalek Crucible as my "abandoned/derelict space station" with a sufficiently large crew of suitably knowledgeable Time Lords (and other Gallifreyans) to get things working again (and make sure no Daleks survived).

Then I'd plonk myself in an obscure corner of the Milky Way in Warhammer 40000 circa, oh, M35 I guess. I can have five thousandyears to build myself up before I can launch a new Great Crusade to liberate the galaxy from the horros of Chaos, obliterate the Orks and Tyranids, forge an alliance with the Necrons by offeringto help them regain their living bodies (there's probably some Time Lord or Dalek tech for that somewhere) and presenting myself to the Imperium as the Emperor Reincarnate.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I wonder what the minimum required crew would be, to keep the first death Star functioning. Assuming that it kept things like prefab shelters and other ground attack equipment on hand, I'd find an undeveloped and inhabitable planet somewhere, preferably with rich mineral resources, (or in a solar system with other mineral-rich planets), and setup shop. I'd keep the Death Star in orbit around said planet, and have patrols of some Lambda-class shuttles, (accompanied by TIEs if they could do patrols of the solar system on their own). If not, I'd setup smaller bases across the solar system, (but not spread too thinly), where a few TIEs are kept and manned, to do deeper patrols as needed.

I'd setup farms to produce food on the planet, with various mines/refineries and factories to produce both military and luxury goods, so as to keep my populace well cared for and happy. I'd also want to make sure to get a hypermatter production facility underway, and I'd want to start producing some medium to large craft to supplement my forces. I'd want to eventually permit civilian ownership of trans-orbital craft, but I'd place a strict limit on their defensive and offensive capabilities, (I wouldn't want any single individual or group or be able to amass a huge stockpile of weapons/craft to rival my own).

I would put incentives in place so I wouldn't have to resort to conscripting my populace in order to maintain adequate numbers of soldiers. I'd also get a droid factory going so as to supplement our labor force, with a special emphasis on agricultural, mining, and healthcare models. I'd also place either probe droids or satellites throughout the solar system, in order to give us advanced notice regarding activities within the solar system. Within my Death Star, I'd maintain a highly trainer "1st Responder" team, which was on 24 hr standby, and had hyperspace-capable craft ready to go at a moment's notice, in case someone or something encroached on our space. One thought I had was to keep a few protocol droids able to pilot unarmed SLT craft on the outskirts of our controlled space - if any alien vessel approached, they would power up and intercept said vessel. These droids would have hyperwave communications back to our main facilities, and would be programmed to be polite and helpful, but wouldn't contain any strategic or technical information regarding my forces, (in case they got captured).
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Hmmm...I think I would chose the Dalek Crucible as my "abandoned/derelict space station" with a sufficiently large crew of suitably knowledgeable Time Lords (and other Gallifreyans) to get things working again (and make sure no Daleks survived).

Then I'd plonk myself in an obscure corner of the Milky Way in Warhammer 40000 circa, oh, M35 I guess. I can have five thousandyears to build myself up before I can launch a new Great Crusade to liberate the galaxy from the horros of Chaos, obliterate the Orks and Tyranids, forge an alliance with the Necrons by offeringto help them regain their living bodies (there's probably some Time Lord or Dalek tech for that somewhere) and presenting myself to the Imperium as the Emperor Reincarnate.
And then a Callidus Assassin kills you, an Eldar strike force deposes you, a Q'orl mind-grub controls you, or Magnus the Red rapes your brain. The only weapon on the Crucible is a destroy universe button, and 40k is known for having psychically-operated stealth ships.

Time Lords once lost an invasion to a force armed only with hand-guns and were eagerly trying to sell each other out to prove their loyalty to their new masters.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I wouldn't have thought that the Daleks of all people would build a space station lacking in weaponry.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

I wonder how long it would take for a world devastator to build it self a death star.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

NecronLord wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Hmmm...I think I would chose the Dalek Crucible as my "abandoned/derelict space station" with a sufficiently large crew of suitably knowledgeable Time Lords (and other Gallifreyans) to get things working again (and make sure no Daleks survived).

And then a Callidus Assassin kills you, an Eldar strike force deposes you, a Q'orl mind-grub controls you, or Magnus the Red rapes your brain. The only weapon on the Crucible is a destroy universe button, and 40k is known for having psychically-operated stealth ships.

Time Lords once lost an invasion to a force armed only with hand-guns and were eagerly trying to sell each other out to prove their loyalty to their new masters.
The only known weapon is the destroy-universe button. We know it also had the "pull other planets out of their proper time and place" system as well. Besides, I would spend a few thousand years researching the situation before I act. The Time Lords have pretty potent mental powers and can build artificial systems to focus/utilise those powers (TARDIS Telepathic Circuits for instance). Daleks apparently also move by psychokinetic power. So, spend that time unobtrusively building up materials and forces (even one solar system should contain a vast amount of useable resources if you have access to Dalek/Time Lord tech) while researching a scientific way to deal with the Warp.

Hel, use that magnetron thing to pull some of the more important Necron Crownworlds into my system from circa M41. Offer them a truce, we'll help them regain their living bodies and take action against the remaining C'Tan Shards if they provide us with examples of their tech, intelligence on other factions, and the method they planned to use in the War in Heaven to seal off the Warp for good.

If absolutely necessary, see if we can re-build the Time Scoop and go back and snatch the Emperor before he got turned into a vegetable.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Why is it that your plans always involve traveling to a place where literal gods exist and desire to mess with you because of "why not" and than doing things to draw their attention?

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

One Culture GSV (e.g. Sleeper Service in pre-Excession configuration) is probably sufficient to conquer the Trek milky way and definitely sufficient to conquer the Babylon 5 milky way. If we assume all these parallel worlds already exist then I would preferably target the Mass Effect universe a few hundred years before the Reaper invasion, because taking over the galaxy and upgrading the defences with Culture tech would save trillions of lives when the reaper invasion is thwarted.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Honestly I think the best universe to target would be Homeworld. A wide galaxy ripe for the picking. They have relatively high technology but small fleets and meager firepower.