Two Cyborg Law Enforcement Offficers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Whom would your rather have in your local police service?

Alex Murphy/Robocop
71%
Major Motoko Kusenagi
29%

Total votes: 38

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Two Cyborg Law Enforcement Offficers

Post by FaxModem1 »

Does this include specialized equipment, such as Robocop's jetpack and machine gun arm or the Major's armor for her assault missions and sniper rifle?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

FaxModem1 wrote:Murphy has several disable options available, as shown in the television show, such as tazer projectiles, is regularly shown investigating cases and bringing in people for arrest. We're discussing whether or not we get the individual(and presumably their support facilities, as otherwise both of them will quickly become rather interesting hat racks due to lack of power and maintenance), not whether or not the town we live in gets OCP or Section 9 in their city.
Um, should we at least not presume the backstory of Murphy's or Motoko's appearance resembles their actual story? Okay, not OCP, whoever made Murphy and can keep him running and repaired.

Hardly helps with the whole "I look like a robot" thing in Murphy's case. People will freak out like I said before, and undercover work is a no-go.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

K. A. Pital wrote:People will freak out like I said before, and undercover work is a no-go.
[/quote]

Some people might freak out but most wouldn't. He looks like a guy in a robot suit. Even assuming memory of Robocop as a fictional character is taken out of the equation, most people might be a bit leery at first but would mostly get used to him pretty fast. It'd be a bit like seeing armored cops in vest, helmets, and assault weapons, kinda scary at first but most people would get used to it after awhile. Arguably Murphy is less scary because he ain't ninja black and his weapon, while incredibly massive to the point it makes a Deagle look tiny, is still less "scary" then some evil black assault clip assault rifle and is usually completely concealed. People would probably compare him to like Iron Man in their minds.

Still I'm also sure OCP or Apple or whomever built him and the police department would probably do some public relations stuff to introduce him to the public, stuff like goes to schools or shake babies and kiss hands at some public event. They wouldn't just send his chrome ass onto the streets without doing some PR stuff to make sure people aren't freaked the fuck out with some giant robit guy shows up to help their kitty out of the tree.

As for undercover work, Murphy was never meant to do undercover work. He is supposed to be a symbol, something highly obvious that fights crime directly. He's not going to be putting on a fake mustache and trying to buy drugs or bust hookers (though the mental image of Robocop with some fake as fuck mustache pulling up to a hooker and asking her what her rates are in his monotone voice is fucking gold). I doubt he would even do many stake-outs either.

He just serves like a beat cop who just goes around investigating crimes or like a SWAT operator and goes after criminal elements directly.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Let's add Inspector Gadget to the poll!
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Enigma wrote:Let's add Inspector Gadget to the poll!
Without the aid of his niece and dog, isn't Inspector Gadget absolutely useless and a blundering idiot who just has an inordinate amount of gadgets in/on him?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Zixinus wrote:
Enigma wrote:Let's add Inspector Gadget to the poll!
Without the aid of his niece and dog, isn't Inspector Gadget absolutely useless and a blundering idiot who just has an inordinate amount of gadgets in/on him?
more or less
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

What about adding a reprogrammed Terminator as well? He can be programmed to do anything AND he'd blend right in with normal people. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Terminators suck at conversation, at least the film versions. No good thing for a policeman, so not fit for the poll. Besides, language issues... I am pretty sure GITS tech allowed the cyborg to learn languages fast, but not so sure about Robocop.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I'd rather have Inspector Gadget than a Terminator because the latter would at least be a better-intentioned and even outright better police officer. Policework requires empathy and relating with people, something Terminators are bad at (or at worst, severely crippled). Inspector Gadget's incompetence may be mitigated by a good partner who he can learn from, he is a dedicated to his work. A Terminator would be at loss how to handle regular, human situations since they are primarily programmed to be killing machines.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Zixinus wrote:I'd rather have Inspector Gadget than a Terminator because the latter would at least be a better-intentioned and even outright better police officer. Policework requires empathy and relating with people, something Terminators are bad at (or at worst, severely crippled). totally incapable of, though some incarnations can passably fake it.
Fixed. Not a great press conference when you have to explain that your new star officer is programmed to dual-wield assault weapons with reasonable accuracy but is inherently incapable of relating to why little Bobby is sad about dropping his ice cream.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I have spent the last three evenings watching each of the RoboCop movies in turn.

I now feel qualified to weigh in the following:

1) I don't want either of these two on my city's police force. The most dangerous threat my city's criminal element poses are outlaw motorcycle gangs and they quite sensibly spend their time fighting with each other, not the law. Our police are already perfectly capable of keeping them under control.

EDIT: The reason I don't want RoboCop on the force is that he would throw out his stock warning and then be looking for an excuse to open fire. It was rare that he would look for a non-lethal outcome.

2) Murphy's resilience has been wildly oversold in this thread. He is largely immune to small arms but is far from invincible. In RoboCop 2, he is lured into an ambush where a heavy weapon is used to blow off his pistol arm and an electromagnetic winch disables him. Murphy looks incredible when he's shooting unarmoured gang members, because he can reduce the volume of incoming fire by eliminating the shooters. When he can't, we get RoboCop 1 where the OCP security teams shred him.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

GuppyShark wrote:I have spent the last three evenings watching each of the RoboCop movies in turn.

I now feel qualified to weigh in the following:

1) I don't want either of these two on my city's police force. The most dangerous threat my city's criminal element poses are outlaw motorcycle gangs and they quite sensibly spend their time fighting with each other, not the law. Our police are already perfectly capable of keeping them under control.

EDIT: The reason I don't want RoboCop on the force is that he would throw out his stock warning and then be looking for an excuse to open fire. It was rare that he would look for a non-lethal outcome.

2) Murphy's resilience has been wildly oversold in this thread. He is largely immune to small arms but is far from invincible. In RoboCop 2, he is lured into an ambush where a heavy weapon is used to blow off his pistol arm and an electromagnetic winch disables him. Murphy looks incredible when he's shooting unarmoured gang members, because he can reduce the volume of incoming fire by eliminating the shooters. When he can't, we get RoboCop 1 where the OCP security teams shred him.
OCP Security never engaged Robocop in the first movie. That was Detroit SWAT, plus regular officers. And they only "shredded" him because he just got his ass kicked by a walking tank. The only place Murphy was visibly taking damage was on the areas of his body where his armor had been blown open by ED-209. Even then, the only lasting damage was his targeting sensor was knocked out of alignment. He was still able to function and withstand who knows how many tons of metal girders dropped on him. Which he was able to get himself out of and keep functioning.

And Murphy did go non-lethal. Numerous times. He initiated the arrest of a few people compared to straight up shootbangs. He punched out the guy robbing the store. Disabled one of the two rapists, accepted the surrender of the other. Shot the bike out from under one of his murderers to arrest him. Simply hauled away another of his murderers to arrest him as well. Brought in Clarence Boedeker when he surrendered to, guess what, arrest him. The only time he went all out killing was when the Mayor was held hostage, when he attacked the Coke/Nuke/Generic Drug Lab, and shooting Dick Jones. Basically situations where he had no other non-lethal options available.

Now, if you were to say Robocop uses excessive force...well then I'd probably agree with you :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Then there's the times he mainly used non-lethal force in the T.V. series.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I'd also like to point out that Robocop didn't open fire on the police/SWAT officers because he didn't want to kill his fellow cops. In the confrontation with Cain, it appeared that it took a precise shot from a .50 cal machine gun to knock off his hand, and though he didn't seem to struggle while being held by the magnet, it did take quite a while for Cain's men to get through his armor - even with power tools.

If we take into account the newer Robocop reboot movie, then he has that taser gun as a nonlethal option.