Possible Universe for nBSG Crossover Fic

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Possible Universe for nBSG Crossover Fic

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ok, so I'm toying with a BSG crossover fic, probably set near the end of series two (so they have Pegasus, but Cain, Fisk and Garner are gone an Roslin is still president). I may include some other Colonial ships that survived, I haven't decided yet, thought I'm leaning that way.

So, I have two main decisions:

1. What other ships can I have survive the attack that will be valuable but won't turn it into an easy win for the Colonials? I'm thinking some military, some civilian ships btw.

2. What universe can I have them find Earth in? Again, it needs to be one that will be able to provide meaningful assistance to Adama and friends but won't turn into an instant win, like if they found Earth in Star Trek or pre-Long Night Andromeda.

Any suggestions and discussion would be very gratefully received.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Possible Universe for nBSG Crossover Fic

Post by Elheru Aran »

Stargate might be interesting. Earth and Stargate Command would happily welcome a source of human technology that doesn't have catches like the Tollan or isn't entirely derived from Goa'uld technology. BSG tech doesn't seem *hugely* different from modern tech, to be honest, apart from the spaceships, artificial gravity and DRADIS... it's been a very long time since I watched that show though. The help that BSG could provide against the Goa'uld could be useful as well. You also have a pretty good mountain of reference material available (Gateworld etc) to help write.

Babylon 5 would also be interesting because then you have a lot of funky alien conflicts to throw into the mix, plus organics, which would probably baffle the BSG crowd. I haven't watched much of it though so I can't talk.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I considered BSG, but if the BSG guys turn up before EArth Launches their first shielded starships, then the BSG tech can't do them much could before the Cylons arrive to nuke the place. And after that, well, shielded, high-speed starship versus unshielded Cylon missile carriers? That's gonna end badly for the Cylons.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

You mean you considered SG1 :P

But yes, you would have to set it sometime after the Prometheus is launched at least, or work out either an alliance with the Goa'uld or getting the Asgard to cover their arses.

You could work something out where the Cylons or Galactica don't find Earth immediately. Perhaps they help an advanced Human world out against the Goa'uld, SG-1 shows up in the middle of things (insert wry one-liner by O'Neill about being late and an eyebrow-lift by Teal'c), see what Galactica is packing, go from there. The Stargate universe has an absolute fuckload of one-episode wonder gadgets that you could resurrect with ease, just have them pull them out of Area 51.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That's an interesting idea. Perhaps they could arrive sometime in season 7 near Hebridia (the world from Space Race) just in time for Carter to arrive for said race and go "ok, something cool here, maybe we should check it out."

What about other surviving Colonial ships? I find it hard to believe that no-one else survived.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There's a thought. Run with it if you like :) A potential twist? Stargate Earth isn't the Colonials' Earth, maybe? Their Earth is the Furlings' world :P

Can't really say about the other Colonial ships; I've only really seen Season One of BSG... and that was back when it originally aired, so.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Elheru Aran wrote:There's a thought. Run with it if you like :) A potential twist? Stargate Earth isn't the Colonials' Earth, maybe? Their Earth is the Furlings' world :P
Ooo that is indeed interesting. Perhaps Kobol was a very old lost colony of the Ancients, and by the time the 13th Tribe arrived on whatever the Furling world is called, the Ancients had long forgotten them. That would allow me to justify having humanoid Colonials without having to address the "humans evolved on Earth" issue.

EDIT: As for other ships, well, I was thinking perhaps either one newer Battlestar or two older ones and some civilian ships that were too far away to reach Ragnar in time to link up with Galactica.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Sounds like you've got a good start already... the Furling thing was a joke BTW, but feel free to roll with it ;) I had actually thought Nox at first but then recalled that nobody's seen the Furlings apart from that joke in '200'.

Farscape could also be of interest. You've got a decent mix of aliens, the conflict between the Scarrans and Peacekeepers, and the motley crew of Moya to throw into the mix. Might be hard to make one ship and its dramas relevant to the Galactica flotilla though.

Firefly would be cool... but it's a bit, well, small. Not impossible to make it work, but one (albeit very complicated system that would leave Galactica's astrographers scratching their heads) solar system is kind of puny. From the Serenity's side, you have the fun factor that suddenly now they've got a viable faster-than-light drive, maybe they can go to Earth-that-Was? It's a very low-tech universe though (apart from the spaceships). They don't have a whole lot to offer Galactica or the Cylons.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Farscape is an interesting alternative, but while I've seen and enjoyed the series, I'm nowhere near as familiar with it and the universe as I am with Stargate.

I think I've got a good start. For an even more interesting idea, have the other Colonial ship/flotilla be one that already found the Furling lost colony and is now, with some upgrades, heading back to the Colonies to see if anyone else survived.

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Have Neo-BSG crossover with old-BSG.

Neo-BSG is set in the far past, well before the events of the original series. Imagine if the original series is a continuation of the Neo-BSG.

The 12 colonies are nuked but not completely destroyed, there are still survivors scattered here and there, wrecked Battlestars in orbit, and slowly the survivors rebuild. Its takes thousands of years but eventually the colonies get back into space and find the wrecked ships and are inspired by them for their own designs.

The Cylons were not wiped out, only the organic ones and the neutered new designs (the new Centurion and Raider were both supposed to be lobotomized). The mechanical Cylons continued as they did before the skinjobs, continued to operate their First Cylon War era vehicles and weapons and designs. Over time they might have even forgot the human created them (I remember something about in the OS about some reptillian race creating the Cylons).

Ships being lost, survivors of New Caprica, and so on help form all the human worlds and groups seen in the original series.

The Red Stripe Cylons continued to travel space, improving themselves and becoming more human over the thousands of years until they were almost like gods traveling in a ship of lights.

Unfortunately I can't really think of anything exciting you can do with this crossover beyond tell a history story because of the massive gulfs of time between the two series. Maybe the Old New Colonials discover a left-over Neo-BSG battlestar? The New Old Colonials hit some timewarp sending them forward into time to around the time the original series was set (the 60s maybe, I think Galactica 1980 was set about 20 years after the original show) with the Old New Crew meeting a group that may have become legends to them. It may go towards explaining why the Galactica was commanded by an Adama and the Peg by a Cain, the names are actually titles for whoever commands the boat inspired by the ancient legends of the original 12 colonies.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Not impossible to make it work, but one (albeit very complicated system that would leave Galactica's astrographers scratching their heads) solar system is kind of puny.
Weren't the colonies also in one bullshit complex solar system?
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Space: Above and Beyond?

Tech is largely comparable to nBSG

Seeing the Saratoga and Galactica (and Pegasus) team up against the Cylons could be neat

Could have it where the Cylons actually show up first, win over the Silicates whom then turn on their "Chig" allies (the Cylons are clearly the bigger dog in the yard now, and are of the same kind.)

Galactica (and Pegasus) shows up and after a standoff with Saratoga's battle group they decide to work together, the Colonials having insight regarding Cylon tech and capabilities.

In the climactic battle, because the Galactica was designed with much the same purpose as Saratoga, Adama is given control over half the battlegroup to effectively hit the Cylons from two fronts.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Kingmaker wrote:
Not impossible to make it work, but one (albeit very complicated system that would leave Galactica's astrographers scratching their heads) solar system is kind of puny.
Weren't the colonies also in one bullshit complex solar system?
Based on a quick Google... yeah, looks like it. For both the new and old series, actually, which is interesting.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_T ... s_of_Kobol
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_T ... ies_of_Man
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ooo lots of interestign ideas. The oBSG/nBSG is one I'v heard before, but as you say there isn't really much I can do with it.

Space Above and Beyond? Intriguing. Now I'm going to have to go and watch that to get a feel for their tech.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

There was one I read awhile back that was fun. It was BSG / Aliens crossover. They steered way from the horror aspect, they just wanted to establish that it was in the Aliens-verse by having the fleet stumble on LV-426 and rescue the marines trapped there before they were overrun by the bugs. The Colonials were able to trade their superior FTL tech for Earth Naval protection and a planet to colonize. The Earth navies weren't as advanced as Cylons but we had tactics and weapons they didn't expect. They also knew how to wage cyber-warfare better than the Colonials did. :)

With that said, you don't have to steer away from Star Trek. Just set it far enough in the past to where the tech level is not overwhelming...think Enterprise-era or earlier.

Others have mentioned Stargate and that would be fine if it wasn't in the post-Asgard era. Also consider video games. You could try having them not stumble upon Earth, but upon the EVE-Online cluster of worlds. The Master of Orion-verse would give you plenty of freedom to make up your own characters and storyline too.

Or...how about the Matrix? No spaceflight that we know of, but watching the machines go at it with the Cylons would be fun...or have the humans hack into the Cylons the way they do the Matrix.

Could also do Wing Commander (the movie version), or Space Battleship Yamato.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Borgholio wrote:There was one I read awhile back that was fun. It was BSG / Aliens crossover. They steered way from the horror aspect, they just wanted to establish that it was in the Aliens-verse by having the fleet stumble on LV-426 and rescue the marines trapped there before they were overrun by the bugs. The Colonials were able to trade their superior FTL tech for Earth Naval protection and a planet to colonize. The Earth navies weren't as advanced as Cylons but we had tactics and weapons they didn't expect. They also knew how to wage cyber-warfare better than the Colonials did. :)
That would be "The Hunted" by Masterarminas, it's one of my favorites and what's given me the idea.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

An unconventional idea might be Alien Nation or V. The Newcomers in Alien Nation came from a slaver fleet, who do actively fight other species in their ships. It's one of the reasons Newcomers love America so much, we're saints in comparison with our access to jobs, hobbies, sour milk, etc. I imagine running into a ragtag fleet of humans would be interesting, and would explain why the Newcomer ship came to LA in the first place.

In V, the Visitors are looking for two things, fresh bodies for food/cannon fodder, and water for potable purposes and use in their fusion reactors. Running into the Colonial fleet might be advantageous for them, so the Visitors might do what they can to try and trick the Colonials.
ali-sama
Jedi Knight

Post by ali-sama »

If you do not mind going to Anime. UC gundam is a fun place as their tech is diffrent and both could compliment each other. Another Anime would be Cowboy Beebop! I look forward to reading your story no matter what reality you choose!
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Firefly, I read one once that had Starbuck get picked up by Serenity while she was out in her stealth ship and she recognizes the design from the tiny easter egg where a firefly class ship flies overhead when roslyn is meetin gwith her doctor in a very early episode...

Starbuck just hops out of her ship and starts blabbing away at Jayne and Mal and doesn't realize they can't understand a fucking WORD she's saying (she's speaking ancient Greek) until they reply with a smattering of Chinese and English...
of course, the only person on the ship who can translate Greek is River....

All in all it was a pretty interesting idea... Apparently there was a subplot where there had been some under the table contacts between the colonials and the Alliance at SOME point, (explaining the firefly in the BSG verse) but it was never revealed in the incomplete fic I saw.
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Variant of that idea: The rag-tag fleet arrives slap in the middle of the Unification War, before the Cylons started having doubts about totally exterminating all human life.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

I'll say the Foundationverse, during the Spacer period, for a setting with some interesting storytelling potential that fanfic has barely touched upon.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'd add another suggestion for Stargate, but that's been covered well already.

So I'll say 40K, because it could either be played for laughs (Orks, Space Marines, general ridiculousness), or it could be played for weird, twisted, and ugly: They find humans and/or Terra, but at what cost? You could take the bleakness of the real Imperium underneath all the flash of gigatonzz and SPESS MEHRENS and tie it in with BSG's themes of "is humanity worth saving?" and the existential implications vis-a-vis Cylon obliteration. I already foresee a twisted tragedy to it all, but maybe that's another story.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote: So I'll say 40K, because it could either be played for laughs (Orks, Space Marines, general ridiculousness), or it could be played for weird, twisted, and ugly: They find humans and/or Terra, but at what cost? You could take the bleakness of the real Imperium underneath all the flash of gigatonzz and SPESS MEHRENS and tie it in with BSG's themes of "is humanity worth saving?" and the existential implications vis-a-vis Cylon obliteration. I already foresee a twisted tragedy to it all, but maybe that's another story.
It would require extensive plot to prevent the Cylons from having their assess handed to them by the Imperium though. Perhaps if they found Terra during or just after the Age of Strife...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Borgholio wrote:It would require extensive plot to prevent the Cylons from having their assess handed to them by the Imperium though. Perhaps if they found Terra during or just after the Age of Strife...
The Imperium is a languid beast... sometimes it takes centuries for the Adeptus Administratum to figure out a planet's been conquered. And liberated. And then in a state of open revolt. It's not hard to conceive of a scenario where a Cylon fleet floats around, unnoticed by the larger apparatus of the Imperium.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

Space above and Beyond would be nice and cool