How long would it take to get to the moon in an "emergency"

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Treknobabble
Redshirt

Re: How long would it take to get to the moon in an "emergen

Post by Treknobabble »

Darkrah wrote: I sort of think that a chip bag might be funnier than a paper lunch bag but I haven't gotten past the stage where humans first notice the aliens yet.
The most likely thing they'd have handy is the equivalent of an MRE wrapper, realistically speaking.

And if they have regenerative life support (ie, they grow some kind of edible algae in giant tanks and feed them with whatever their waste treatment module outputs), things get more interesting still. Will they have food bags of any kind?

However, certain things are quite simply going to be found on a mission of this type (facing unknown circumstances to rescue compatriats), and many of these things will be able to play much the same role as a paper bag.

Any clothing or linens equivalent would do. Socks, underwear, pants, shirts, towels, blankets, etc. This opens up the possibility of a scene where the probe runs into an alien doing his/her/its laundry, and ending up with a sock over its camera. Or stumbling in on "the beast with two fronts," if you catch my meaning. In that case, a manned mission could be necessary to issue an apology.

Depending on the probe, a cup or a bucket might also work.

And of course, there's always the ever-dependable tape. Duct tape, electric tape, masking tape... if the aliens can use it to affix something to something else, they can use it to affix something opaque to the camera.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Given that most of those tapes are opaque by nature they can just wrap the camera up.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Treknobabble wrote:Or stumbling in on "the beast with two fronts," if you catch my meaning.
Unless the aliens can have sex in a vacuum, I see only three ways for that to happen:
- The probe looks in through a window. That can be played for laughs.
- The probe stumbled through their airlock. Probably motion sensors on the airlock doors. Humorous, but their choice of convenience over security should be a sign that the aliens aren't running a military expedition.
- They have some tech that can produce a barrier that stops air, but doesn't stop the probe. Which should make people very worried about what else their tech can do.