The Thunderbirds Reboot

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Re: The Thunderbirds Reboot

Post by Lone Browncoat »

& this final episode of the current season seems the most anti-science of the bunch, not even seeing the episode yet, just the Wiki write-up.
Old Fart, used to be Space Cowboy [see Battle Beyond the Stars,1980 for reference]
Now transplanted from Usenet re: alt.startrek.vs.starwars . & Übernerd
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

This most recent episode was just frustrating - first, are you telling me that they can't be bothered to transport their main (and only) engineer/designer in something more, well, deluxe, than one of the convertible pods in flight mode?

I was also hoping that we'd get to see Thunderbird Shadow at least do *something* this season.

If the particle accelerator was able to pull a satellite out of orbit, then it surely would have been detectable long before that passenger craft got drawn toward it. I'm also skeptical that the Tracey piloting TB1 wouldn't even think to nose down to gain enough acceleration to break free of the anomaly.

Lastly, the whole "it's become self sustaining" is a trope that needs to die - I can buy that they were smashing particles together to generate gravitons, but I can't buy that such a process could continue, once you cut the power. The fact that the solution used was to fire a bunch of rockets at the thing, despite all the debris falling into it not causing such damage, was dumb.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lone Browncoat wrote:& this final episode of the current season seems the most anti-science of the bunch, not even seeing the episode yet, just the Wiki write-up.
Oh, it is. Starting with setting expectations low by using the word quantum, then going downhill from there.

The Hood was mentioned only to rule him out. Making it quite clear that the writer wanted to put all the blame on the scientists.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ok, catch up time. On episode 11, the one with the random balloon station thing...how did this idiot get support for his design? I mean, really?

Also, every time I see the entry sequence for TB2 passengers, I'm reminded of the Wallace and Gromit sequence, where Wallace has a Thunderbirds-esque way to get onto his bike, and then Gromit just walks in from the kitchen.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

My gods that last episode was almost painful to watch.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

So going by the general mood on this thread, I'm guessing the new show doesn't hold a candle to the original? :P
(I only watched the first ep as a sort-of ceremonious thing, I didn't bother following it)
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The new show is entertaining enough, and it is a reasonable remake of the original. Of course, that also means they remade some of the dumber aspects, like technology with no safety included int he design, or huge operations run by just one person (and his geranium). That kind of silly.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Ok, catch up time. On episode 11, the one with the random balloon station thing...how did this idiot get support for his design? I mean, really?
The setting appears to be one where few people care about the safety of others. Meaning that the only people he had to convince were himself, his crew and whoever was paying for it.
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:My gods that last episode was almost painful to watch.
Ack!! Spoilers, but will probably view it when my other downloads are done.
Old Fart, used to be Space Cowboy [see Battle Beyond the Stars,1980 for reference]
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The new show is entertaining enough, and it is a reasonable remake of the original. Of course, that also means they remade some of the dumber aspects, like technology with no safety included int he design, or huge operations run by just one person (and his geranium). That kind of silly.
Did the original have anything like the heavy anti-nuclear message of Crosscut ?

What about the anti-science message of the latest episode ?
Where they called the dangerous science thing the Supreme Hadron Collider, which looks like an attempt to link this episode with the morons thinking the Large Hadron collider would destroy the world.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

bilateralrope wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:The new show is entertaining enough, and it is a reasonable remake of the original. Of course, that also means they remade some of the dumber aspects, like technology with no safety included int he design, or huge operations run by just one person (and his geranium). That kind of silly.
Did the original have anything like the heavy anti-nuclear message of Crosscut ?

What about the anti-science message of the latest episode ?
Where they called the dangerous science thing the Supreme Hadron Collider, which looks like an attempt to link this episode with the morons thinking the Large Hadron collider would destroy the world.
Good points. The original was absurdly pro-nuclear, so they are definitely swinging the other way.

Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Episode 14 "Falling Skies" came out on Saturday the 31st.
Available @ file sharing sites and in torrents.
I try not to give out spoilers.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lone Browncoat wrote:Episode 14 "Falling Skies" came out on Saturday the 31st.
Available @ file sharing sites and in torrents.
I try not to give out spoilers.
Has there been any change to the stupidity present in the first half of the season ?
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Bits, here and there, sorry no spoilers!
Though at the time I was concentrating more on comparing 720p .mp4 to the .mkv version
and the action, I'll leave the details up to others.