Blade Runner 2 with Harrison Ford confirmed

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

dragon
Sith Marauder

Blade Runner 2 with Harrison Ford confirmed

Post by dragon »

Harrison Ford will return to star in the sequel to Blade Runner, Ridley Scott has confirmed.

The director said fans can “expect to see Harrison Ford back in the saddle” as the futuristic gumshoe Rick Deckard in the follow-up to the Eighties film.

“Harrison is very much part of this one, but really it’s about finding him; he comes in in the third act,” Scott told Variety.

However, the director said he would not return to helm the film, which he helped to develop with the film’s original co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher.

Instead, Scott will produce the movie, which he said should begin filming next year.

It is thought the sequel will see new figures set out in search of the original movie’s central protagonist.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Blade Runner 2 with Harrison Ford confirmed

Post by Iroscato »

Just...why? Who asked for this?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ford and Scott must really need the money.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Isn't Harrison Ford like 65?

I mean, I guess it could be set two years later, and confirm that Deckard is a replicant nearing the end of his useful lifespan?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Terralthra wrote:Isn't Harrison Ford like 65?

And yeah, Ridley Scott was always fond of the interpretation that Deckard is a replicant, so having it set a short time after the first and him being at the end of his four years could work.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Except that Rutger Hauer's Replicant didn't look old aged when he shut down at the end of the original 'Blade Runner', he looked the same he did throughout the entire movie.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I have a brilliant idea: if everyone stops watching these unwanted derivative works, they'll stop being made.

Except The Fantastic Four, because it's just being made to spite Marvel.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

My guess is they're using Ford as a means to introduce other characters, who might then be the foundation for a Blade Runner tentpole series of films down the line (along with the "cash grab" factor). Otherwise they'd just do a full reboot like what they did with Total Recall.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

To be honest, the fact that Scott isn't directing might be a good sign. I mean, the odds of this movie being good are still fairly slim, but just about every movie Scott has directed in the past decade has been such a steaming pile of shit that I think him taking a step back can only be a good thing.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Batman wrote:Except that Rutger Hauer's Replicant didn't look old aged when he shut down at the end of the original 'Blade Runner', he looked the same he did throughout the entire movie.
*Nods* This is true, though I guess they could pull a "He's a unique, experimental model like Rachel." if they wanted too.

Or, they could some how say Decker has the same (Or some similar) aging disease that Sebastian had? Wasn't there a line that only 'fit' people were allowed to go colonize? All the gene trash was left on Earth?
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Thanas wrote:Ford and Scott must really need the money.
Just after cashing the fee for 3 Disney blockbusters? What, he intends to run for president like Reagan? :P
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

NOO GOD! NO. GOD. PLEASE. NO. NO!!! NO!!! NOOOOOO!!!
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

What? There being Blade Runner 2 or Ford/Scott running for President?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Doesn't a sequel kind of defeat the point of that movie?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Reimagining would make much more sense than a sequel.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Todeswind wrote:Doesn't a sequel kind of defeat the point of that movie?

Well now that we have the Super Definitive Special Directors Edition Cut on Blu Ray we "know" what was the true ending. So we can stop speculating and enjoy a sequel
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Anyone have a handle on the pro/con arguments for Decker being a replicant? - Something other than "Because RS Said so!"
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

TheHammer wrote:Anyone have a handle on the pro/con arguments for Decker being a replicant? - Something other than "Because RS Said so!"
The short version of the pro arguments: Decker doesn't seem to have much empathy, he does a dirty job that requires skill, he has no family or friends, and he collects lots of photos as do replicants who try and manufacture a past. In other words, lots of circumstantial evidence but no definitive proof.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'm not even sure that qualifies as circumstantial evidence. Plenty of real world humans fit that bill.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

There's also the unicorn.

Deckard has a dream of a white unicorn. Later on in the movie, Gaff gives Deckard an origami unicorn. Deckard never mentioned the dream to anybody.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Was about to post about the unicorn and got sniped.

Honestly the unicorn is pretty definitive.
Truth fears no trial.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

So then the notion that replicants weren't allowed on earth was bullshit because the "blade runners" were replicants with fake memories? Kind of defeats some of the premise does it not? IT also begs the question of why you would send an inferior model in terms of strength and intelligence to take down a group of superior models...
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

All we suspect is that Deckard is a replicant. We don't suspect all blade runners of being replicants.

And while the rule isn't bullshit, we know it was broken before, due to Rachel being a replicant.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Blade Runner 2: The Adventures of Gaff.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Temjin wrote:There's also the unicorn.

Deckard has a dream of a white unicorn. Later on in the movie, Gaff gives Deckard an origami unicorn. Deckard never mentioned the dream to anybody.
And the moment where Deckard's eyes are glowing: