Doctor Who, next companion?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Re: Doctor Who, next companion?

Post by DaveJB »

Havok wrote:Other than Donna, has there ever been a recast of a companion from a one off episode character?
Technically, Nyssa from the Fouth (and later Fifth) Doctor's era, who wasn't originally planned to be a companion, but got turned into one anyway. However, she became a permanent character in the story immediately after her introduction, instead of a season apart as with Donna. I think Harry Sullivan was also mentioned a few times - though not actually seen - as being UNIT's staff doctor before he showed up in person during the Fourth Doctor's debut.

It would have happened with Freema Agyeman's character from "Army of Ghosts," if not for the fact that she was killed off at the end of that episode and RTD didn't fall in love with the idea of Agyeman as the next companion until it was too late to do a rewrite, resulting in Martha giving that extremely half-arsed "by the way, I used to have a physically identical cousin!" explanation when she eventually showed up.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

DaveJB wrote:
Havok wrote:Other than Donna, has there ever been a recast of a companion from a one off episode character?
Technically, Nyssa from the Fouth (and later Fifth) Doctor's era, who wasn't originally planned to be a companion, but got turned into one anyway. However, she became a permanent character in the story immediately after her introduction, instead of a season apart as with Donna.
The same happened with Jamie. He was supposed to be a one off in The Highlander, but they liked him so much he stayed on. It caused a few problems in the next few stories, as they were already written for two, rather than three, companions. For example, he spends much of his time unconscious in Moonbase.
What is WRONG with you people
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

If you're counting the brig as a companion he would be another.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

I think the Brigadier is generally classed as a recurring character rather than a companion, since he only ever travelled in the TARDIS twice (The Three Doctors and Mawdryn Undead, which were a decade or so apart). Of course, that brings up the whole can of worms as to what a character needs to do to actually qualify as being a companion.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

DaveJB wrote:I think the Brigadier is generally classed as a recurring character rather than a companion, since he only ever travelled in the TARDIS twice (The Three Doctors and Mawdryn Undead, which were a decade or so apart). Of course, that brings up the whole can of worms as to what a character needs to do to actually qualify as being a companion.
But then, neither did the doctor in seasons 7-9 (in the main part, at least).
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

He did travel in the TARDIS four times in those seasons, along with having trips to the 22nd century and an alternate universe, and Jo accompanied him for all but the latter, while the Brigadier didn't travel with him on any of those occasions. Then again, neither did Liz Shaw, who's usually considered a companion.

It does seem more than a little weird that so many people don't consider the Brig to be a companion and do consider Katarina, Sara Kingdom and Kamelion to be companions. If it were a recent thing I'd imagine it's because any definition of "companion" that includes the Brig would also include the likes of Jackie Tyler and River Song, and most fans would probably rather gnaw their own feet off rather than count them as being companions. But it's been going on WAY longer than that.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Companion arguments I can deal with, just don't ask when the Unit stories are set :)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ok, I'll bite... When are the UNIT stories set? I only know the revival Doctor and those UNIT stories.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Havok wrote:Ok, I'll bite... When are the UNIT stories set? I only know the revival Doctor and those UNIT stories.
He said don't ask.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Anywhere from late 60's to early -to-mid 70's...or possibly all of them (pretty much all of Pertwee's run, plus a chunk of Troughton and Tom Bakers) happened in late 1969, according to a story in Davison's run.

Bad Things happen when you try to rationalise it. That's why The Day of the Doctor had Kate Stewart asking for an old file and saying something like "1970s or 1980s depending on dating system."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Osgood. Leave the question of wether it was the actual Osgood that Missy killed or Zygon Osgood open for most of the season.

Then reveal it's the Zygon that's now the companion.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Oh god no.

Whoever it is. All i want is for them to be unannoying and have no story of their own.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

DaveJB wrote:He did travel in the TARDIS four times in those seasons, along with having trips to the 22nd century and an alternate universe, and Jo accompanied him for all but the latter, while the Brigadier didn't travel with him on any of those occasions. Then again, neither did Liz Shaw, who's usually considered a companion.

It does seem more than a little weird that so many people don't consider the Brig to be a companion and do consider Katarina, Sara Kingdom and Kamelion to be companions. If it were a recent thing I'd imagine it's because any definition of "companion" that includes the Brig would also include the likes of Jackie Tyler and River Song, and most fans would probably rather gnaw their own feet off rather than count them as being companions. But it's been going on WAY longer than that.
Well if I were to not consider the brig a companion it wouldn't be because he didn't do much tardis travel. It is more that he was the doctor's boss rather than the other way around, and in the main part the doctor didn't outwardly like him.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Crazedwraith wrote:Oh god no.

Whoever it is. All i want is for them to be unannoying and have no story of their own.
Very much this. A nice ordinary being, human or otherwise, present-day or otherwise, that gets to trael with the Doctor and see the universe.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Havok wrote:Ok, I'll bite... When are the UNIT stories set? I only know the revival Doctor and those UNIT stories.
He said don't ask.
Can you remember a few threads ago when I tried to date the Silurians? That's just as bad, I'd say.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Its mostly been covered above but basically the problem is that they took place early to mid 70's, however the original intent was to have them set in the 'near future' so from the production teams point of view the early 80's. But it was never really set in stone so each story was written more or less as an island, some writers knew about the 'near future' idea others didn't so there's some suggestion of both present and future depending on what stories you watch. Sarah Jane specifically states she's from 1980 at one point but it's not consistent with other stories and of course trying to write the 'near future' never comes out like the future actually turns out to be. Then after the unit era ended there were still other stories that linked back to them (Mawdryn Undead is a big one) each of which have their own opinion.

So basically it's a bit mess that you're generally best not worrying about to much.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Atlan wrote:Osgood. Leave the question of wether it was the actual Osgood that Missy killed or Zygon Osgood open for most of the season.

That's pretty fucking stupid. Are we to believe first that the Zygon would A) want to stay a human and B) be allowed to stay a high ranking UNIT human C) that the TARDIS would somehow miss this and D) that the Doctor somehow would too?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Crazedwraith wrote:
He said don't ask.
Hahahaha oh man that must have been giving nerds fits since the 70s. :)
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Hence why we said don't ask :D

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Havok wrote:
Atlan wrote:Osgood. Leave the question of wether it was the actual Osgood that Missy killed or Zygon Osgood open for most of the season.

That's pretty fucking stupid. Are we to believe first that the Zygon would A) want to stay a human and B) be allowed to stay a high ranking UNIT human C) that the TARDIS would somehow miss this and D) that the Doctor somehow would too?
Well once they left that room, they would remember who they were, I'd assume the zygons changed back once the treaty was signed.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Havok wrote:Are we to believe first that the Zygon would A) want to stay a human and B) be allowed to stay a high ranking UNIT human C) that the TARDIS would somehow miss this and D) that the Doctor somehow would too?
Eh, it's not any more nonsensical or writer-fiat-based than anything in the last season, and it would actually be an interesting character.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

No, it would be Osgood. Then for a lame reason ZYGON! It wouldn't do anything to make the show better.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Doctor Who could try and have a "Who is a Cylon, er I mean Zygon?" plot. :wink:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

jwl wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
He said don't ask.
Can you remember a few threads ago when I tried to date the Silurians? That's just as bad, I'd say.
I thought you did a magnificently nerdy job though. :) Like I was all "Cool, that makes sense.". :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

FaxModem1 wrote:Doctor Who could try and have a "Who is a Cylon, er I mean Zygon?" plot. :wink:
:lol: I'm not against a Zygon, but having it pose as someone else for no reason is just fan service in the name of Osgood or lame or both and probably other crap.

I mean, was it me or was Osgood classic "Get Killed" material, especially as far as the revival goes. I mean, the plant lady from the second episode, the girl from the 1st season's finale, Madame De Pompadour, and the singer chick on the Titanic. She fits that mold perfectly. It's too bad they had to bring her back just to kill her, but I think that's all she wrote.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)