Doctor Who S34E9: "Flatline" Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: Doctor Who S34E9: "Flatline" Spoilers

Post by SpottedKitty »

Enigma wrote:How much would the TARDIS have to weigh in order to fracture the Earth's surface? Cause the Doctor says that if he did land the TARDIS with its true weight, it would fracture the Earth's surface.
A lot. Think back to "The Name Of The Doctor", and the first time we see Trenzalore. And even that wasn't all of the TARDIS; by the time all its size had finished leaking out, it extended into the ground for possibly several miles.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Enigma wrote:How much would the TARDIS have to weigh in order to fracture the Earth's surface? Cause the Doctor says that if he did land the TARDIS with its true weight, it would fracture the Earth's surface.
Work out the mass of a collapsing star held in stasis and expand from that.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

To elaborate a bit on just what the Eye of Harmony can do, from the TV movie:
DOCTOR: If the Eye of Harmony isn't closed, this planet will be sucked through it! Grace, I need to fix the timing mechanism on the Tardis and close the Eye. I need an atomic clock. Grace, please, help me find one.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The extended inside of the tardis changes every time it is seen or mentioned. It was apparently infinite back in journey to the centre of the tardis according to the doctor, and at the very least big enough to fit a star in it. If the tardis's internal mass was as big as we see there, the tardis wouldn't have weight so much as the earth's does because of the tardis's gravitational field, and if it is big as the doctor was suggesting it wouldn't just shatter the crust, the entire universe would have a problem.

This time around?

Well it will at least have to overcome the rock's compressive strength, and it might be worth looking into solid viscosity too.