Doctor Who S34E7 Kill The Moon

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who S34E7 Kill The Moon

Post by Solauren »

Hillary wrote:What. The. Fucking. Hell. Was. That??????
I like to think it was all a mental ruse of some kind the Doctor was putting on (holograms, hypnosis, whatever) to push Clara away so she can be with her boyfriend and not worry about him, while he starts the process of evaluating possible new companions.

Otherwise, it makes no sense in the context of established Who-canon, and is almost deliberately insulting to anyone with a atom's worth of actual scientific knowledge.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Havok wrote:For the record, the Doctor did not claim the moon was 100 million years old, but that the whatever it was, had been there for 100 million years. Or I guess, more accurately THIS moon had been there for 100 million years.
But the moon has been there on the order of 100 million years. 5 billion years would have caused continuity problems the next time the Silurians turn up.

Basically it goes like this:

On the order of 100 million years ago, a giant egg was laid in the orbital path of earth and its twin planet mondas. This created a new planetoid, and the advanced civilization of lizard people living on earth detected it, coming towards earth. This caused them to panic, as they thought it would destroy the planet, so they went into hibernation underground (taking care not to accidentally turn themselves into werewolves and destroy the planet), or in a giant spaceship, set to return when the catastrophe is over. However, the egg was captured by the earth's gravitational field, and catastrophe never happened; so the lizard people continued staying in hibernation for millions of years. The existence of these lizard people (along with the werewolves and the planet mondas) was discovered in the 1980s, and they were named (rightly or wrongly) the silurians. The fact the moon is the egg, however, was not discovered for another ~60 years.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

jwl wrote:On the order of 100 million years ago, a giant egg was laid in the orbital path of earth and its twin planet mondas. This created a new planetoid, and the advanced civilization of lizard people living on earth detected it, coming towards earth. This caused them to panic, as they thought it would destroy the planet, so they went into hibernation underground (taking care not to accidentally turn themselves into werewolves and destroy the planet), or in a giant spaceship, set to return when the catastrophe is over. However, the egg was captured by the earth's gravitational field, and catastrophe never happened; so the lizard people continued staying in hibernation for millions of years. The existence of these lizard people (along with the werewolves and the planet mondas) was discovered in the 1980s, and they were named (rightly or wrongly) the silurians. The fact the moon is the egg, however, was not discovered for another ~60 years.
:|

That succinctly shows the madness of the setting, doesn't it?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

What's the likelihood of the BBC putting a little message saying "We apologize for last weeks episode. It will be struck from DW cannon and will not be on the DVDs".

Or if it was an integral part of the season arc: "Please bear with us, this episode will make sense at a later date".

This episode was the "Threshold" of the DW francise to date
God help them, they made stuff that rivals the worst of Voyager
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Burak Gazan wrote:This episode was the "Threshold" of the DW francise to date
Thanks, I had successfully forgotten watching that episode once when I was younger and less jaded... :banghead:

(FWIW, my preferred comparison is with "Spock's Brain".)
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I didn't think it was that bad. Not the best, but not the worst.

But I found Clara tolerable until now. I hope this is her last season on the show.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I've read that Clara is supposed to leave in the next Christmas special.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I've read that Clara is supposed to leave in the next Christmas special.
About time. I found it stupid that she expected the Doctor to make the decision for them.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

She had a point that the Doctor is also connected to Earth and it was a rather huge burden to put on her. However, I thought the Doctor had already made his opinion pretty clear and Clara seemed to selfishly want the Doctor to take the responsibility off of her. But the Doctor has spent his whole life making those sorts of decisions (the end of the time war being the most notable example). I don't blame him if he wants someone else to do it for a change.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Honestly, they aren't going to strip this one from canon. They didn't do that for The Twin Dilemma in the 80's and this episode wasn't as bad as that trainwreck was.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The Doctor has literally openly declared himself the "Defender of Earth" and screwed over people that dare make the 'wrong choice'. Harriot Jones made a valid decision to keep Earth safe and he burned her for it.
During the Sontarron Invasion the Doctor is openly condescending to them trying to do their job of defending the planet and he gets pissy when the lowly humans figure out a way to fight back with the Valiant / Plastic bullets.

If you are going to draw a parallel to Star Trek, A Matter of Time with Picard begging Rasmussen to help him make the decision is entirely appropriate. Replace that dude with the Doctor and I wonder if people would be calling Picard selfish.
If the Doctor was really serious about not interfering... he should be packing up Clara and School girl in the Tardis and leaving. Instead he leaves them behind to die in a nuclear explosion if they make the 'wrong choice'

The way the episode goes it appears the Doctor is either extremely stupid and a hypocrite or he knew what was going to happen and deliberately put Clara through a horrific abuse. That is not the kind of thing you expect a friend to do and Clara has a serious right to be angry about it.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

... this episode made me facepalm for just about the entire length of it.
While not quite as horrendous as Fear Her or Love And Monsters, this really was really freaking awful from start to finish. I'm struggling to think of just one thing about the episode I actually liked.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

PREDATOR490 wrote:The Doctor has literally openly declared himself the "Defender of Earth" and screwed over people that dare make the 'wrong choice'. Harriot Jones made a valid decision to keep Earth safe and he burned her for it.
No, the 10th Doctor did that. 9 didn't and neither did 11 as far as I can recall. Some Doctors are detached from humanity simply having a human companion, while others, especially 10, collects humans and and has a special love for them.

13 (Isn't he 13?) is connected to and only seems to have any humanity because of his companion.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Well the doctor typically criticized the time lords for having the exact attitude he had in this episode. First thing I thought after watching this was "the doctor has become a time lord".
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

jwl wrote:Well the doctor typically criticized the time lords for having the exact attitude he had in this episode. First thing I thought after watching this was "the doctor has become a time lord".
That's exactly what Pink was saying when he called him an officer and part of the ruling class and saluted him.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Interesting he's become more 'Time lordy' after getting a new set of regenerations from them. I wonder if they might have 'slipped him something' along with the regenerations?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Maybe that now he's a bit older, he's passed that youthful rebellion that plagued his first regenerations, and he's made peace with the Time Lord establishment. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

... and yet he isn't (apparently) doing anything to bring Gallifrey back.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Parallax wrote:... and yet he isn't (apparently) doing anything to bring Gallifrey back.
Gallifrey is in a suspended period in their history, or at a VERY slow pace. Whether he brings them back now or in a million years, they are at almost the same point as when he shifted them out of our universe.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Bedlam wrote:Interesting he's become more 'Time lordy' after getting a new set of regenerations from them. I wonder if they might have 'slipped him something' along with the regenerations?
Doubtful. The guilt from destroying Gallifrey is gone.
The younger regenerations seemed like a way to run from the older Doctors of the past, especially given he regenerated younger each time, (probably couple that with the fact that he was winding down with regenerations and getting up in age) and the Hurt Doctor that he blamed for the decision.

Now the need to feel and be young and carefree and distanced from those types of decisions probably doesn't weigh as heavily on his mind.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I think perhaps going from believing he committed double genocide and seeking forgiveness for that to knowing he didn't commit those crimes might have had an effect as well.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I just realized that Donna would have been the perfect companion for Capaldi's Doctor. Oh the bickering and insults flying between the two of them. Lol.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Enigma wrote:I just realized that Donna would have been the perfect companion for Capaldi's Doctor. Oh the bickering and insults flying between the two of them. Lol.
It would only be a short time until one tries braining the other with... I don't know, a brick in a sock?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Broomstick wrote:I think perhaps going from believing he committed double genocide and seeking forgiveness for that to knowing he didn't commit those crimes might have had an effect as well.
Yes, I said that.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)