Doctor Who S34E5: "Time Heist" Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Did you like this episode?

5/5 - Flawless
6%
4/5 - Excellent
73%
3/5 - Good
18%
2/5 - Mediocre
No votes
1/5 - Bad
No votes
0/5 - Nothing but flaws.
3%

Total votes: 33

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Doctor Who S34E5: "Time Heist" Spoilers

Post by Enigma »

I think the Teller is trained to react on thoughts that contain guilt against the bank not just guilt in general or else the Teller would have immediately have gone towards the Doctor instead. He's got to have plenty of guilt piled up over his lifetimes.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

jwl wrote:What makes you think they have a choice, considering what being "fired" means?
Agreed.

The only way I can see that bank having customers is if those customers don't have a choice. We are talking about a bank who, when they find someone guilty, can imprison their next of kin for being the next of kin. When the next of kin is likely off planet.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

They probably deal almost exclusively with rich, paranoid sociopaths/psychopaths. Most other people wouldn't think the risk would be worth the hassle. I'd say the other end of the spectrum would be businessmen who are being told to go retrieve something from the company account.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

InsaneTD wrote:They probably deal almost exclusively with rich, paranoid sociopaths/psychopaths.
<nod> Remember what was said in the "advert" right at the beginning; something like "if you're rich enough to own your own planet, this is where you keep it." Normal rules of paranoia need not apply. :roll:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Perhaps not for the owners, but who in his (or her, or its) right mind would actually work for them? You feel guilty about anything, you die, your family goes to jail regardless of whether or not you actually had any plans to harm the bank. That's got to be a pretty desperate job market.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

That's not how it worked. Guilt is enough to get the Teller to investigate. It only destroyed the brain after detecting something more. We went over this already.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

I think by "guilt" they mean criminal intent, not regretting something. Like guilty/not guilty in a court.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

But that would return false positives as well. What if someone went to retrieve a weapon so they could kill someone? Up side, they wouldn't then be able to commit the crime, but they still aren't doing anything against the bank.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Teller is an intelligent being, no doubt it can use a bit of nous when doing its job, it's a slave to the bank, not a slave to semantics.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I gave it a 5... and it seems I'm the only one to do so.
This is the first episode of the season where I have enjoyed every moment of it. There was no eye rolling or disbelief. I guess some of the plot but it had enough surprises in it to keep me hooked. I'm liking capaldi more and more as the season goes on. He has just enough barmy hand waving to balance out the eyebrows seriousness. I think I like him a lot better than Smith, though perhaps that's not saying a whole lot...
Was it flawless? Maybe not. It was very good though.

Also:
Geminon wrote:What I saw definitely reminded me of Reservoir Dogs - Black suit, white shirt, skinny black tie.
And a little green bag? :P
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation