Automata

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Automata

Post by Zor »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yfy2I2R5-g[/youtube]
"Just a machine? That's like saying you are just an ape."

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Re: Automata

Post by Darth Nostril »

So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

This certainly has potential, but it's a subject that when mishandled really rubs me the wrong way. We'll see how it turns out.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I'd like to see a movie that has humanity embracing sentient and self-aware robots. What if the setting was one where the Earth was dying, humanity was on the decline, and the creation of a race of artificially intelligent robots was done in the hopes that they might be able to reverse this downward trend, help restore the planet, and/or leave a lasting legacy for humanity if all else fails. Maybe have a faction of humanity and robots that want to see all life, (biological or artificial), erased so the planet can start anew...

Regardless, I predict that Antonio Banderas' character will become sympathetic to the robots and perhaps aid them in faking their destruction, while they actually begin their own society in secret somewhere - possibly some wasteland area that's unsuitable for humans, (radiation, harsh desert, etc).
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Is this rated to the Penny Arcade comic? Cause it looks similar.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Lagmonster wrote:Is this rated to the Penny Arcade comic? Cause it looks similar.
I doubt it. The nature of the anti-robot discrimination here is quite different - rather than being treated as lesser people, they're being treated as not being people at all.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

At least this looks better than that stupid Will Smith movie.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Channel72 wrote:At least this looks better than that stupid Will Smith movie.
The robots look almost identical but the plot looks much better. It really pissed me off when I realized they stole Arthur C Clarke's title and slapped it on a movie that had practically nothing in common with his short stories.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

Borgholio wrote:
Channel72 wrote:At least this looks better than that stupid Will Smith movie.
The robots look almost identical but the plot looks much better. It really pissed me off when I realized they stole Arthur C Clarke's title and slapped it on a movie that had practically nothing in common with his short stories.
Asimov, not Clarke. And the film did incorporate some concepts from the short stories and novels, like the Zeroeth Law, though that term isn't used.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Asimov, not Clarke.
Aw shit...I always get them mixed up in my head. You know, both being legends of sci-fi and all that...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

biostem wrote:I'd like to see a movie that has humanity embracing sentient and self-aware robots. What if the setting was one where the Earth was dying, humanity was on the decline, and the creation of a race of artificially intelligent robots was done in the hopes that they might be able to reverse this downward trend, help restore the planet, and/or leave a lasting legacy for humanity if all else fails. Maybe have a faction of humanity and robots that want to see all life, (biological or artificial), erased so the planet can start anew...
What if the humanity leaves Earth to live in space while race of boxy robots is left behind to clean all the pollution and trash. After a century or two, humanity sends very advanced robot to check on Earth, one with somewhat feminine traits, and said robot falls in love with one of the 'cleaners' for obligatory romantic tension. Then, the movie turns darker as we learn her mission was pointless from the start, being sabotaged by robot fraction that didn't wanted the humanity to learn Earth is habitable again.

Hmm, that would be pretty good movie, perhaps someone should make it? 8)