Death Squadron in B5

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Death Squadron in B5

Post by Batman »

Based on-what, exactly? Even ignoring that a lot of the information on that site is made up wholesale with zero basis in the actual aired materiel, what's the resilience of that '1.6 meter armored hull' (on a ship a whopping 26 metres long? I think not), can the 'gravitic defense grid' do anything about Wars lasers at all and if so, up to what yield?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Batman wrote:Based on-what, exactly? Even ignoring that a lot of the information on that site is made up wholesale with zero basis in the actual aired materiel, what's the resilience of that '1.6 meter armored hull' (on a ship a whopping 26 metres long? I think not), can the 'gravitic defense grid' do anything about Wars lasers at all and if so, up to what yield?

Yeah, I did some searching, and canon information on B5 is hard to come by. This site has done a major service in teasing out exactly HOW TIE fighters maneuver, WHAT the firepower of Turbolaser are and so on. I don't think a comparable site for B5 exists, but if you know of one, please let me know!
I'm not sure what the endurance of the hull is. I read on another thread on this page that the yield from a standard turbolaser from an ISD is roughly equal to the Hiroshima blast. A TIE burst, if even a 10th of that, will blast the Soulhunter out of the sky being that we saw what a couple nukes did to the Drala Fi.
I'm not sure about a "gravitic defense grid" is, but I'm guessing it might be something like particle shields from SW. Something that might use gravity to repel incoming projectiles. IN B5, the term "defense grid" without the adjective refers to anti-projectile systems like the guns on an aircraft carrier that shoot down incoming missiles.
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

ISD 'light' turbolasers used to be single figure MT and are at least KT level by the movies. Fighter level lasers are single to low double figure KT both by the ICSes and the movies. Unfortunately, babtech no longer exists and I too don't know of any other site with similar analysis of B5.
Essentially, B5 is outgunned by Trek AQ. They stand no chance against Wars' as long as the Wars side has the means to actually keep operating their equipment.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Batman wrote:ISD 'light' turbolasers used to be single figure MT and are at least KT level by the movies. Fighter level lasers are single to low double figure KT both by the ICSes and the movies. Unfortunately, babtech no longer exists and I too don't know of any other site with similar analysis of B5.
Essentially, B5 is outgunned by Trek AQ. They stand no chance against Wars' as long as the Wars side has the means to actually keep operating their equipment.

Oh this is all well known. So, I'll have to give the Soul Hunter a good long head start and when he escapes, he'll have to jink and jank and maybe survive a glancing blow as he's jumping into Hyperspace. I'm just trying to be plausible enough to keep things below the SOD. Thanks for the help!
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

You're assuming the Soul Hunter ship has an on-board hyperdrive. If he has to make a run for a jumpgate, he can easily be intercepted by a flight of TIEs waiting for him there.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Borgholio wrote:You're assuming the Soul Hunter ship has an on-board hyperdrive. If he has to make a run for a jumpgate, he can easily be intercepted by a flight of TIEs waiting for him there.

In the original soul hunter episode the soul hunters ship comes out of a jump gate, but in well of souls, I believe the fleet arrives from a jumppoint without a jump gate.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I don't recall that episode too well...did we actually see the jump point or did they just appear?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Um-there is no episode nor TV movie called 'Well of Souls'.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

You see an orange colored jumppoint with the fleet coming out of it, but you can't see any jump gate. It's suggested that they make the journey in a hurry so I kinda doubt they'd HAVE to have a jump gate to make jumps, especially if they are used to being hated and feared and having to get in and out of places quickly. They might use them as a matter of course to disguise what they can REALLY do.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Batman wrote:Um-there is no episode nor TV movie called 'Well of Souls'.

Sorry, RIVER of souls.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

cmdrjones wrote:You see an orange colored jumppoint with the fleet coming out of it, but you can't see any jump gate. It's suggested that they make the journey in a hurry so I kinda doubt they'd HAVE to have a jump gate to make jumps, especially if they are used to being hated and feared and having to get in and out of places quickly. They might use them as a matter of course to disguise what they can REALLY do.
Ah, ok right. Well as an alternative, they may have a larger mothership in hyperspace to open the jump point for them. We've seen that behavior even from backwater pirates and raiders too. But for the sake of argument, if they CAN open their own jump points, they'd have to dodge TIEs in the process (which means they may not be able to line up to the vortex), and if they are too close to a Stardestroyer they may have to deal with tractor beams as well.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Have we ever seen two-way traffic through a jump point/gate? From memory it's always either in or out. If that holds true at least coming from hyperspace they should be in the clear until they pass the gate/jump point and hit realspace.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I think it's only one-way. They even have different colors based on if it's incoming or outgoing.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Borgholio wrote:I think it's only one-way. They even have different colors based on if it's incoming or outgoing.
You are correct sir.
Also, as for the soul hunter escaping scenario.... I have "stacked the deck" a tad in his favor to allow for SOMEWHAT of a contest due to him approaching a certain SD that has had an unfortunate encounter with an Asteroid and has been ruthlessly abandoned by Vader in his hunt for the Millenium Falcon. Thus, Soulhunter Vs SD in the process of breaking up is a bit more "fair"
(I know spoilers etc... forgive, I'm excited about this chapter.... :mrgreen: