To Catch a Predator/Yautja(RAR)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

To Catch a Predator/Yautja(RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 »

After the events of all the Predator films, including the nuking of a town in Alien vs Predator: Requiem in 2004, and the utter ineptitude of the previous task force assigned to hunt them down in Predator 2 in 1997, you are now put in charge of the federal task force to capture one of those aliens the next time they come by and decide to hunt us.

Your goals are:

1. Capture and obtain any and all alien technology the aliens bring with them.
2. Capture and obtain and and all alien specimens that visit our planet on US, or non-US, soil.
3. And most importantly, keep this classified, and away from the press, local government forces, allies, enemies, and all non-involved parties.

Your resources are:

The old offices and notes of the previous team, led by an Agent Keyes, before he was half the man he used to be, along with their annual government budget of 50 million USD a year. Any technology or specimens discovered will give you more resources, money and people. You will only be answerable to the director of the FBI, and the President of the United States.

Happy hunting.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Re: To Catch a Predator/Yautja(RAR)

Post by Darth Tanner »

I pretty much do what Keyes did but I aim to kill the predator with high calibre bullets. Taking it alive is pretty adventurous so I'll have to hope that I can make use of its technology without a live specimen.

Obviously now that we have the notes from Keyes doomed expedition we can not make the mistakes he did.

As an alternative plan I'd rig the meat processing centre that the predator is using as a lock box so I can barricade him in once he enters the building then flood it with gas... might not work but worth a shot over freezing him.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Keep in mind that you're not redoing the same hunts as from the films, just preparing a general policy for hunting Predators.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

True but hopefully any urban predators are going to need to feed regardless so will hopefully maintain the same pattern.

I don't think there is much chance of me even learning about any predators in non urban environments... I'd need the bodies to be discovered pretty rapidly and the criminal files on the specific patterns of death to be flagged on a central system. The first Predator in a jungle scenario would likely have left by the time I would hear about its butchering let alone deploy to hunt it.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Capturing Predator tech depends on killing them fast enough so they cannot activate their self destruct or cutting the arm off.
A high-powered weapon should be sufficient to achieve that goal.

Thanks to the new Predators film, engaging a Predator in melee with a sword was enough to take one down and their armor is light for overall body protection.

The concept of the 2nd Predator film really is the best you can expect a response team to manage against a Predator. They can strike anywhere in the world and it is entirely feasible rural areas would go completely unnoticed until the Predator was done and gone.
Urban environments - Chances of getting informed go up but keeping it classified is going to be a joke.
If a Predator really decided to go all out, the damage is going to be equivalent to a warzone and a self destruct in an urban environment wipes out the entire capture team.

Best thing you can do:
- Set up an equivalent of a tracking system used in the second film
- Find out where the Predator is based or frequents
- Equip a sniper(s) with a high powered rifle and stealth suits
- Kill the Predator and blow / cut the arms off
- Salvage whats left
- Pray the Predator does not survive long enough to trigger a self destruct or a distress signal to it's buddies

I would not trust non-lethal methods - The Predator biology is largely unknown and you only get one shot to ambush a Predator before things get really messy.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

The most expensive part would be setting up a monitoring apparatus/infrastructure all over the world. I never saw the AvP film, but in the first two films, the Predator appeared in South America and Los Angeles. Who knows where else they might hunt. Some places might be out of US jurisdiction, in which case international cooperation might be necessary. It's expensive enough to try and prevent terrorism, but at least with terrorists you have likely targets. With a Predator, you have no idea where one of them might pop up, so your only hope is to set up an enormous surveillance, intelligence-gathering apparatus that looks for signs of Predator activity. You'd likely spend most of your time investigating false positives, i.e. gang-related murders or other violent crimes that bear certain similarities to Predator kills. Needless to say, $50M probably won't cut it (NYC alone spends hundreds of millions on counter-terrorism)

In fact, if a Predator appeared in places like Mexico City or Bogota, nobody would probably even notice anything different.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

The other problem is from Predator 2 and AvsP that Predators might not be alone despite tending to hunt alone... if you do manage to kill one and have his body intact his friends might just nuke you from orbit to prevent his tech falling into human hands, or slaughter you (presuming you killed him outside of a honourable fight) to recover his body.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

So basically we require X-Com?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Off the cuff:

1, Get a public face, not public public but known to interpol, fbi et al...
2, use cover story of international serial killer/team/whatever to have an alarm on as many police systems as possible world wide that will look for a predator kill pattern.
(think something like Dougray Scott in the Hitman film or x files, the kind of story where everyone thinks you're an idiot but are willing to let you follow ghosts)

3, rapid response team equipped to create a surveillance perimeter with an emphasis on snipers as per other suggestions
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Are they immune to animal tranqs? If I have my team shoot him with darts designed to bring down elephants, he'll go down right? So... that.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

You would be gambling that the Predator will go down faster than he can push the buttons that trigger a 30 city block explosion.

Something like an XCOM team would work but it would be extremely prudent to make sure you take the Predator down hard on the first attempt because failing will cause things to get messy fast.

Best case scenario: The Predator sees the attempt to hunt it as sporting.
Worst case scenario: The Predator calls its buddies and they decide to stop 'playing'