Knights of Sidonia (SPOILERS)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Knights of Sidonia (SPOILERS)

Post by SilverDragonRed »

I was looking through Netflix yesterday when I found this show. It's a Netflix exclusive anime with, as of right now, only 12 episodes made for it. I found it hard to get into the setting for about four episodes (outside of the voice actors). So, I'm curious, did anyone else find the setting to be inclusive or highly impenetrable? What do ya'll think of the show?
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Knights of Sidonia (SPOILERS)

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

SilverDragonRed wrote:I was looking through Netflix yesterday when I found this show. It's a Netflix exclusive anime with, as of right now, only 12 episodes made for it. I found it hard to get into the setting for about four episodes (outside of the voice actors). So, I'm curious, did anyone else find the setting to be inclusive or highly impenetrable? What do ya'll think of the show?
I followed the fansubs before it came out on Netflix. There's actually a lot to think about with this show, and that makes it pretty good sci-fi in general.

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, it's a 3D CGI series out of Japan featuring a generation ship (that'd be Sidonia) that's been in-flight for 1000 years (so there's a lot of transhuman concepts that turn up.) They're among (quite possibly even) the last survivors of the human species, as Earth was destroyed by aliens who are slightly reminiscent of Saberhagen's Berserkers. Because ... Japan, the ship is protected by giant robots, except they go through a lot of trouble to get the physics right. The mood and camera-work very clearly pays homage to the 2000-vintage Battlestar Galactica.

I liked it, and I normally can't stand giant robot shows.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Knights of Sidonia (SPOILERS)

Post by Vendetta »

I've watched up to episode 8. It takes a couple of episodes before it gets engaging, partly because it seems to have a tendency to explain things retrospectively a couple of episodes after they've happened, and I don't think it really builds up the social structure on the Sidonia that allows some of the major plot events of the middle of the season to happen.

It's not the worst I've watched, and by god it's pretty (in a stark and hopeless kind of way), but I do think there are ways it could be better.