Bit of Analysis: Honor Harrington III

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Bit of Analysis: Honor Harrington III

Post by Crazedwraith »

SpottedKitty wrote:
Q99 wrote:I think they were low-speed drones, so good for assassinations and ambushes, not as great at open combat, but yea, definitely an interesting tech.
Been a while since I last read that book, but yes, that's pretty much exactly it — the only reason the missiles were so stealthy was that their drives were low-powered; a higher power setting would have burned right through the stealth shielding. Ideal for sneaking up on an unaware target, useless in a conventional missile duel, which is probably why we haven't seen them used in an on-"camera" scene since then.
The mistletoe drones in At All Costs are said to be based on them conceptually though.

---

Just finished a re-read of At All Costs. (Though i admit to skipping any and all zilwilki and mesa scenes in it and War of honor.) Since I downloaded the Mission of Honor Bean CD, I've got all Weber's work uptil then. So I've been putting them on my phone's kindle app. Because my google fu has failed to provide me with a comprehensible reading order, I have to ask. Do you follow At All Costs with Mission Of Honor? Or Storm from the Shadows? Or does it not matter.

As an aside since At All Costs spoils at lot of Shadow of Saganami is that one supposed to be read before AaC.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

I just kinda had to point this one out:
http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/honor-harrington/
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah. I found that and it spits it out via series and sub-series which doesn't really answer my question.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Release dates do:
The Shadow of Saganami (2004)
At All Costs (2005)
Storm from the Shadows (2009)
Mission of Honor (2010)
A Beautiful Friendship (2011)
A Fire Season / A Rising Thunder (2012) <-- ok, this is messy
Shadow of Freedom (2013)
Shadow of Victory (2016)

Dunno, I see a webpage listing like that and I get all "A PUZZLE!" :)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So you're suggesting I totally have to read the prequel 'a beautiful friendship' after a Mission Of Honor our everything will be ruined? ;P
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

No, you had some specific questions in your other post, the published date order would hopefully clear that up, specifically
Do you follow At All Costs with Mission Of Honor? Or Storm from the Shadows? Or does it not matter.

As an aside since At All Costs spoils at lot of Shadow of Saganami is that one supposed to be read before AaC.
So for these three four, the published order might help. S'also why I started my list where I did.

I can't make any valid recommendations on content or necessity for you, I only ever read the first book; turned out to not hold my interest (real life, drama, etc.) and I've never circled back for another read. :(

Edit: counting is FUN!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Crazedwraith wrote:So you're suggesting I totally have to read the prequel 'a beautiful friendship' after a Mission Of Honor our everything will be ruined? ;P
No, the Stephanie Harrington books (set a few hundred years earlier, soon after the settling of Manticore) aren't essential to the main story, they're a separate story. Actually, if you look at tvtropes, of all places, it has a complete list of all the Honorverse series, although it doesn't help much either with how the Wages of Sin and Saganami Island books fold into the main plotline; they're overlapped a bit, so it gets complicated. I just read them all in publication order, and I don't think I got too badly confused.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery