You get a flying car factory (RAR!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

You get a flying car factory (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario, you have been given the ownership of a facility built nearby your city (or if you live in the country, nearby the nearest city of more than 200,000 people) and the associated company that goes with it. Namely you get a flying car factory.

Said flying car factory can produce flying cars using gravitic technology and using electric jet engines for propulsion. This allows them to hover and vertically take off and land. Most of it's components, save for it's countergravity cells and power cells are fairly normal earth technology. The Countergravity Cells and power cells are specially made in a high-tech nano fabrication system which is specially designed to produce them and can't make anything else, but is robust and self repairing. It employs a staff of 5,000 people and has enough of an operating budget and supply of raw materials to last it about

It makes three models...

FCE-500 Shrike Economy Aircar
Length-4.4 meters
Weight-1400 kg
Doors-4
Seats-6
Cargo Capacity-900 kg
Maximum altitude-10km above sea level
Maximum Speed-450km/h
Range: 3,000 KM
Price-$25,000 CAD

FCA-1000 Falcon Sport Aircar
Length-5.2 meters
Weight-1600 kg
Seats-5
Doors-2
Maximum speed-5
Cargo Capacity-600 kg
Maximum Altitude-12km above sea level
Maximum speed-700km/h
Range-4,200km
Price-$40,000 CAD

FCT-800 Condor Airtruck
Length-5.6 meters
Weight-3200kg
Doors-2
Seats-4
Cargo Capacity-3,000 kg
Maximum altitude-10 km
Maximum speed-400km/h
Range-3,200 km
Price-$32,500 CAD

Your factory can make 1,000 Shrikes, 500 Falcons and 500 Condors a day. The shrike and the Falcon are seed shaped with a flattened bottom and a pair of maneuvering wings and jet engines coming out of the back. The Condor has behind the wings an enclosed cargo bed. All of them have a pair of wheels for landing.

What do you do?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: You get a flying car factory (RAR!)

Post by Purple »

What's the max these things can lift and still work properly? And how quickly can I turn this around into making flight packs that can be attached to other vehicles? Because quite honestly the specs on those things do NOT look safe for mass production and use by the general population who are not fighter jet pilots. And this technology would have great benefits when used in other fields that require lifting. Or you know, just making a flying jeep for the army.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I speak from experience when I say trying to keep ahead of where you're going at 400 kph is not a trick that comes naturally to human beings. You can learn it, but boy howdy you can get into trouble really quick at those speeds. Which is why, at least in the US, pilots wanting to fly things that go that fast (generally, over about 300 kph) are required to get a high performance add-on to their pilot's license.

I'd also worry about those altitudes - above about 3 km you really need to start thinking "supplemental oxygen". 10 km? That's a pressurized aircraft for sure.

Well, for DARN sure you'll need more than an automobile license to be able to operate one of these babies safely.

And I'm parking a Shrike in my driveway. Already having a pilot's license I should be able to drive/fly it immediately. Well, at least as soon as I get that high performance sign off. :lol:

First thing I do is open a flight school next to the factory. It will be necessary for the factory customers.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

I get a flying car factory? I blow it up. Completely.

Most people cannot be trusted with a ground based vehicle that can travel at up to 100 mph and you want to give them something that flies at a tad under 280mph!!

Are you fucking insane?

I don't trust anyone with this technology, myself included, so it has to go.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Darth Nostril wrote:I get a flying car factory? I blow it up. Completely.
You're not even going to try selling the factory- or its components, after you dismantle it- for beer money?
Most people cannot be trusted with a ground based vehicle that can travel at up to 100 mph and you want to give them something that flies at a tad under 280mph!!
I must agree on this.
Are you fucking insane?

I don't trust anyone with this technology, myself included, so it has to go.
The technology has far-reaching and generally beneficial uses BEYOND "flying cars, rule of cool, LOL". Suppose the countergravity cells can be refitted to conventional aircraft, providing vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) or short takeoff and landing (STOL) performance that does NOT rely on expensive technology that has a tendency to fail if someone looks at it funny, unlike the US Marine Corps' AV-8 Harriers (see here). Think of how much space this would save, if you could shrink the size of airports by reducing or even eliminating large aircraft's need for runways! How much urban development could you perform WITHOUT encroaching on Los Angeles' surrounding natural environment, or the wildlife there, if you could build upon space once occupied by the International Airport's runways? (Do NOT say something stupid like "Get rid of the airport altogether!" Airplanes carry more than tourists and tourists' souvenirs. When famine strikes, you need cargo planes to carry food to where they're needed, before the food can expire- and that's just one example of how high-speed transport provides more benefits than disadvantages.)

At the very least, it could provide conventional aircraft with a safety device that could function at all altitudes (parachutes require a minimum altitude to fully open), saving lives that would otherwise be lost when engine failure or stalling occurs.

And if the power cells are "clean," they could potentially replace THOUSANDS of internal combustion engines and other energy sources, with great benefit to the environment.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Turn it over to HM Armed Forces in exchange for a share of any commercial sales from any technology in the factory or any technology derived from it. I'll let the Army and Royal Navy have some cool new toys and let them license the electric-jet engines and power supplies. This gives me a lot of money and lets the military get more cash as well, plus new toys. As far as I'm concerned, win-win.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Turn it over to HM Armed Forces in exchange for a share of any commercial sales from any technology in the factory or any technology derived from it. I'll let the Army and Royal Navy have some cool new toys and let them license the electric-jet engines and power supplies. This gives me a lot of money and lets the military get more cash as well, plus new toys. As far as I'm concerned, win-win.
Honestly I'd prefer to play things neutral and sell to everyone equally. The last thing we want is any single army getting exclusive rights on these things and abusing them to oppress the little people.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

What kind of autopilot do these things have? The solution for 'horrible pilots' is 'sufficiently advanced autopilots' - we're close to general release of self-driving cars and self-piloting flying cars is in many ways an easier problem.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Starglider wrote:What kind of autopilot do these things have? The solution for 'horrible pilots' is 'sufficiently advanced autopilots' - we're close to general release of self-driving cars and self-piloting flying cars is in many ways an easier problem.
A better question would be what kind of massive air traffic control network you imagine to make these autopilots work properly. If you are to have thousands of flying cars whizzing around the air just having a set of sensors on board won't cut it.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You could install our current tech regarding autopilots, already developed. The highest end requires ground-based guidance machinery as well as that on the aircraft but I think a viable system could be developed for mass use.

Prior to that, as I said, we already have in place programs to train and license people interested in acquiring such skills.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Broomstick wrote:You could install our current tech regarding autopilots, already developed. The highest end requires ground-based guidance machinery as well as that on the aircraft but I think a viable system could be developed for mass use.

Prior to that, as I said, we already have in place programs to train and license people interested in acquiring such skills.
The issue I think would be tracking them all and making sure the autopilots have enough data to work with. Basically think off the ground radar and other equipment used by ATC on airfields today. And multiply the load on them a million fold as you not only have thousands upon thousands of these things being operated by motorists but it also happens all over the place.

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Sidewinder wrote:And if the power cells are "clean," they could potentially replace THOUSANDS of internal combustion engines and other energy sources, with great benefit to the environment.
The power cells are clean, but they don't generate power. Rather they are very effective batteries.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Zor wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:And if the power cells are "clean," they could potentially replace THOUSANDS of internal combustion engines and other energy sources, with great benefit to the environment.
The power cells are clean, but they don't generate power. Rather they are very effective batteries.

Zor
That's still a major game-changer. Is that "clean" as in "no emissions" or as in "easy to produce with non-rare-Earth-elements?"

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Zor wrote:

Zor
That's still a major game-changer. Is that "clean" as in "no emissions" or as in "easy to produce with non-rare-Earth-elements?"
Both.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Purple wrote:
Broomstick wrote:You could install our current tech regarding autopilots, already developed. The highest end requires ground-based guidance machinery as well as that on the aircraft but I think a viable system could be developed for mass use.

The issue I think would be tracking them all and making sure the autopilots have enough data to work with. Basically think off the ground radar and other equipment used by ATC on airfields today. And multiply the load on them a million fold as you not only have thousands upon thousands of these things being operated by motorists but it also happens all over the place.
Actually, the majority of current air traffic over the US operates without needing to interact with ATC. 80% of American airfields have no control tower and no air traffic control other than pilots talking to each other over the radio. The FAA has a system in development were aircraft-to-aircraft communications take over a lot of what current ATC does, they've been testing it in Alaska which has a lot of small scale aviation and not a lot of infrastructure.

Where you need to most tracking/control is near major urban areas and hub airports. A proximity alarm (both other aircraft and terrain), some basic radar, and a "flight management system" is what you need. You don't really need super centralized traffic control except in the densest areas and take-off and landings (and not even those in outlying areas). People tend to overestimate the amount of oversight required for aviation operations. Certainly, for long distance trips you could have a system where the route is largely automated and the aircraft chooses altitude and route based on a series of simple rules that should prevent nearly all conflicts. We already have right-of-way rules to serve this function and they work pretty good even with fallible humans.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Zor wrote:[
Both.

Zor
Well huzzah, I've just been handed a way to make existing road traffic cleaner and safer in an instant. I immediately license the designs for those super-batteries to Ford, Toyota, etc. The problem with electric cars (as I understand) is battery capacity. But these batteries are able to carry a car at aircraft speeds over much greater ranges.

That should make the hippies happy.

Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Zor wrote:[
Both.

Zor
Well huzzah, I've just been handed a way to make existing road traffic cleaner and safer in an instant. I immediately license the designs for those super-batteries to Ford, Toyota, etc. The problem with electric cars (as I understand) is battery capacity. But these batteries are able to carry a car at aircraft speeds over much greater ranges.

That should make the hippies happy.
And only the hippies. Unless these things come with clean reactors on the side all those electric cars will still fill up from coal fueled power stations.

Speaking of power though here is a thought. Batteries like this could be used for large energy storage. Forget pumped water and dams. Just scale some of these batteries up and you are good to go. This might well revolutionize the utility or renewable sources like solar or wind that depend on the weather.
Broomstick wrote:Actually, the majority of current air traffic over the US operates without needing to interact with ATC. 80% of American airfields have no control tower and no air traffic control other than pilots talking to each other over the radio. The FAA has a system in development were aircraft-to-aircraft communications take over a lot of what current ATC does, they've been testing it in Alaska which has a lot of small scale aviation and not a lot of infrastructure.

Where you need to most tracking/control is near major urban areas and hub airports. A proximity alarm (both other aircraft and terrain), some basic radar, and a "flight management system" is what you need. You don't really need super centralized traffic control except in the densest areas and take-off and landings (and not even those in outlying areas). People tend to overestimate the amount of oversight required for aviation operations. Certainly, for long distance trips you could have a system where the route is largely automated and the aircraft chooses altitude and route based on a series of simple rules that should prevent nearly all conflicts. We already have right-of-way rules to serve this function and they work pretty good even with fallible humans.
Hm... Even so. The issue I am seeing is that most of these vehicles would end up being used in urban areas for regular commuting. And you would still need some sort of system to prevent them from just being overloaded with data about millions of others trying to play bumper cars all at once.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

It will shut up the hippies temporarily...possibly long enough to get a proper nuclear program underway. Problem solved.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Purple wrote:Hm... Even so. The issue I am seeing is that most of these vehicles would end up being used in urban areas for regular commuting. And you would still need some sort of system to prevent them from just being overloaded with data about millions of others trying to play bumper cars all at once.
Millions of cars use the same roads with even less oversight every day. Granted, there are also accidents. That will be the downside - if we have millions, as opposed to thousands, of aircraft in the sky daily the absolute number of accidents will increase, even if the percentage remain the same.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I sell the damned thing to Lex and then laugh my ass off as he gets sued the living daylights out of him when the accidents pile up while I make another fortune providing the traffic control and collision avoidance systems he forgot.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Sell it to the US government or whoever will pay the most and retire to a life of luxury. Running a company is somewhere at the bottom of my list of things I want to do, while spending my life carefree and pursuing my hobbies is all the way at the top.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

With a good autopilot, it's like having a missile factory for consumer use.

A few hundred kilos of something explodey, and point it at the site of your choice.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Just the speed and size of these things makes then dangerous in that respect. The energy stored in the batteries would be released on impact.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Which is why every car accident ever resulted in a big fireball. The energy stored in the fuel they carry would be released on impact, right?
I think it's a bit more complicated than that.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Fuel, is harder to ignite then Hollywood likes to show, as those that have been in, or seen, an accident can attest too. And I didn't say there would be a fireball. I just said the energy would be released and was also saying it would happen during a purposeful accident. I would assume that someone using these as a missile would make it easier for the cells to rupture.