Matt Smith exit from Doctor Who confirmed

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Matt Smith exit from Doctor Who confirmed

Post by Dartzap »

Beeb
The BBC is today announcing that Matt Smith is to leave Doctor Who after four incredible years on the hit BBC One show. Matt first stepped into the TARDIS in 2010 and will leave the role at the end of this year after starring in the unmissable 50th Anniversary in November and regenerating in the Christmas special. During his time as the Doctor, Matt has reached over 30 million unique UK viewers and his incarnation has seen the show go truly global. He was also the first actor to be nominated for a BAFTA in the role.

Matt quickly won over fans to be voted Best Actor by Readers of Doctor Who Magazine for the 2010 season. He also received a nod for his first series at the National Television Awards, before winning the Most Popular Male Drama Performance award in 2012.

Matt has played one of the biggest roles in TV with over 77 million fans in the UK, USA and Australia alone!

Matt Smith says: "Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show. I'm incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day, to realise all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience. Many of them have become good friends and I'm incredibly proud of what we have achieved over the last four years.

Having Steven Moffat as show runner write such varied, funny, mind bending and brilliant scripts has been one of the greatest and most rewarding challenges of my career. It's been a privilege and a treat to work with Steven, he's a good friend and will continue to shape a brilliant world for the Doctor.

The fans of Doctor Who around the world are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show (and speculate more about the future of the show) in a way that I've never seen before, your dedication is truly remarkable. Thank you so very much for supporting my incarnation of the Time Lord, number Eleven, who I might add is not done yet, I'm back for the 50th anniversary and the Christmas special!

It's been an honour to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'. But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go and Trenzalore calls. Thank you guys. Matt."

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer, says : "Every day, on every episode, in every set of rushes, Matt Smith surprised me: the way he'd turn a line, or spin on his heels, or make something funny, or out of nowhere make me cry, I just never knew what was coming next. The Doctor can be clown and hero, often at the same time, and Matt rose to both challenges magnificently. And even better than that, given the pressures of this extraordinary show, he is one of the nicest and hardest-working people I have ever had the privilege of knowing. Whatever we threw at him - sometimes literally - his behaviour was always worthy of the Doctor.

But great actors always know when it's time for the curtain call, so this Christmas prepare for your hearts to break, as we say goodbye to number Eleven. Thank you Matt - bow ties were never cooler.

Of course, this isn't the end of the story, because now the search begins. Somewhere out there right now - all unknowing, just going about their business - is someone who's about to become the Doctor. A life is going to change, and Doctor Who will be born all over again! After 50 years, that's still so exciting!"

Having starred alongside three different companions, Amy Pond (Karen Gillan), Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill) and most recently Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman), Matt's Doctor has fought Daleks and Cybermen, as well as Weeping Angels in New York. Regularly heard shouting 'run' and 'Geronimo', through Matt's Doctor fans have been introduced to a new culinary combination - fish fingers and custard!

Matt's spectacular exit is yet to be revealed and will be kept tightly under wraps. He will return to BBC One screens in the unmissable 50th anniversary episode on Saturday 23rd November 2013 - TUNE IN!

We’ll have exclusive quotes from Jenna on this site tomorrow and a special video from Matt - coming soon!
He's had a good run, and like his colleagues, he's been noticed on the other side of the pond so it was going to happen sooner rather than later.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Matt Smith exit from Doctor Who confirmed

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Cue endless speculation about his successor. At any rate I'll be sad to see him leave, I like his take on the Doctor.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Tell me when Moffat goes. I like Matt Smith and his portrayal of The Doctor. But I've hated his story arcs.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I haven't cared for the Doctor lately, but on the other hand, that's more the writers' fault than Smith's fault, and it's sad that he won't have a chance to shine again under better writers.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So this means we'll get the "final" regeneration (obviously not but we'll get some pretty interesting stories out of this.) and get some sort of Valeyard Doctor? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Enigma wrote:So this means we'll get the "final" regeneration (obviously not but we'll get some pretty interesting stories out of this.) and get some sort of Valeyard Doctor? :)
A season of Evil Doctor/Valeyard stories could be interesting...

And I'm thinking Degaldo type Master evil here, one with class and style. Not campy jumpy jumpy shouting evil.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

He was good and the writing mostly wasn't. When he did have good material to work with he was fun to watch.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

As much as I'd like to see Idris Elba in the role, I anticipate another guy that's suspiciously like the marketable Tennant.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sure, I'd like Idris Elba as the Doctor. Hell, I'm happy to see him in anything (or possibly nothing...>snerk< )
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

So out of curiosity, has there been anything said about how they're going to handle running out of regenerations? It always seemed somewhat to me for them to pick a finite number that was so small. Of course, when they first picked it I doubt they thought they would need 13 (right?) versions.

And Idris Elba as the doctor would probably be what made me decide to pick up DW.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lord Relvenous wrote:So out of curiosity, has there been anything said about how they're going to handle running out of regenerations? It always seemed somewhat to me for them to pick a finite number that was so small. Of course, when they first picked it I doubt they thought they would need 13 (right?) versions.
"Oh, look it's the [name of device]. [Device backstory]."
"What does it do?"
"It just granted me a billion new regenerations."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

"Let's Kill Hitler" had River Song give the Doctor all her remaining regenerations, see, problem solved.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I thought that was because it took all those regenerations to cure him. In which case aren't they already used?

Not that they can't use that (continuity doesn't mean much in Doctor Who).
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

They don't need to do anything. They can just have him regenerate and be surprised that he did.

A mystery they can come back to or leave alone.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Enigma wrote:So this means we'll get the "final" regeneration (obviously not but we'll get some pretty interesting stories out of this.) and get some sort of Valeyard Doctor? :)
Ahh. Help I hope we're not going to get another 'boo hoo! I'm going to die arc again'. We've have two of those already with Tennant and Smith and they never stopped being incredibly fucking stupid.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Isn't the 12 regerations a timelord law and not a restriction of gallifreyan biology, after all we know that time lords can refuse to regenerate if they wish (dying permanently in the process (or at least permanently if you don't have a convinient "bring me back to life" potion avaible)).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Anyone think they'll just use the "new" 9th?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Isn't he supposed to be from the Time War? Or is that just a rumour?

Edit: then again, it seems that continuity does not matter very much for this show.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Lord Revan wrote:Isn't the 12 regerations a timelord law and not a restriction of gallifreyan biology, after all we know that time lords can refuse to regenerate if they wish (dying permanently in the process (or at least permanently if you don't have a convinient "bring me back to life" potion avaible)).
The regeneration ability is likely an artificially derived one from genetic modification. I believe the EU notes it, but its also indirectly supported in the classic series because they can give regenerations to the Master and also they gave the technology to the Minyans, who regenerated many more times than the TL usually do. Thus they most probably built in this limitation into their technology.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Edit: then again, it seems that continuity does not matter very much for this show.
^ This is probably one of the most important points to remember in discussions like this.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Guys, I'm sure the BBC would kill its cash cow for creative integrity. Positive.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Isn't he supposed to be from the Time War? Or is that just a rumour?

Edit: then again, it seems that continuity does not matter very much for this show.
Its easy away to explain away continuity changes in DW. Either a) much time has passed or b) time travel has altered things.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Time Lords gave The Master more regenerations. It seems like it is a rule more than a naturally occurring "biological" mandate, as Revan said.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"