Revolution S2E2 "Chained Heat"

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Revolution S2E2 "Chained Heat"

Post by amigocabal »

The saga continues. We learn more about Maggie.
Spoiler
She has at least two children in Britain, implying that she was visiting North America at the time of the Blackout. This does not bode well for her children, if they were stranded in mainland Britain at the time
We see Pontiac, Illinois, a town ninety-eight miles from Chicago and thirty-nine miles from Bloomington. In the immediate aftermath of the Blackout, it would have been caught between the starving hordes from Chicago and the starving hordes from Bloomington. Apparently it had since been resettled since then.

Captain Neville still has Danny prisoner. He confiscates a shotgun from a farmer.
Spoiler
The farmer kills one of his soldiers, and Neville kills him in retaliation. An American flagh is found in the farmer's possession, and Neville orders a soldier to burn the flag. We later see Neville holding a memorial for his soldier. he also claims to support the Monroe militia because it is the only thing preventing total anarchy.
Miles rescues a friend, Nora, from a chain gang. However
Spoiler
She had surrendered so she can steal a sniper rifle. Charlie assisted her, and they steal the rifle. Nora wants to give the rifle to a rebel whose standard is the American flag
and we learn more about Rachel Matheson.
Spoiler
A week after the blackout, she shoots a man in the back after he had robbed them of their food
And ...
Spoiler
She is still alive and a hostage of the Monroe Republic, apparently held in a building in a large city.
And concerning Grace,
Spoiler
She is confronted by Randall, a man who has a pendant similar to hers that cancels the Blackout locally.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Revolution S2E2 "Chained Heat"

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm predicting it now, Danny is going to end up, by the end of the season, siding with the Monroe soldiers.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

FaxModem1 wrote:I'm predicting it now, Danny is going to end up, by the end of the season, siding with the Monroe soldiers.
It is important to remember that his father died because Danny threatened lawful authority with a deadly weapon.

I do like the fact that Neville is not being portrayed as a stereotypical villain. Indeed, the only times his soldiers were shown to kill people was when someone else drew a deadly weapon on them first. And in the second instance, the other party had fired the first shot.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Neville is a two bit psycho and not even a clever or interesting one at that. All I've seen him so far is fumble the ball, twice. But I suppose that's what you get when you put a shoe salesman or what ever he was in the previous life in charge of a military operation.

P.S the stupid in this show is still rampant.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

amigocabal wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:I'm predicting it now, Danny is going to end up, by the end of the season, siding with the Monroe soldiers.
It is important to remember that his father died because Danny threatened lawful authority with a deadly weapon.

I do like the fact that Neville is not being portrayed as a stereotypical villain. Indeed, the only times his soldiers were shown to kill people was when someone else drew a deadly weapon on them first. And in the second instance, the other party had fired the first shot.
Meh, they were going to kill him and everyone knew it.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Block wrote:
amigocabal wrote:

They were going to take him. Not necessarily the same thing.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Scrib wrote:
Block wrote:
amigocabal wrote: It is important to remember that his father died because Danny threatened lawful authority with a deadly weapon.

They were going to take him. Not necessarily the same thing.
Gun ownership is a death sentence in the Monroe Republic, everyone present knew it, and the second that he sent men into the house rather than just taking the gun that the guy voluntarily turned over it was going to end that way.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Nora had been arrested for stealing the Republic's gold. This indicates that the Republic of Monroe revived the use of legal tender in their territory.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

amigocabal wrote:Nora had been arrested for stealing the Republic's gold. This indicates that the Republic of Monroe revived the use of legal tender in their territory.
Maybe. I really doubt that. It seems more like a case of gold = valuable before the blackout gold = valuable after too. People would respect the value of gold probably due to the same thinking. It would naturally follow a person in power would gather up gold to store and possibly use it to trade with or to establish a paper / coin currency. Miles paid with a gold nugget and the implication was the nugget was worth "a lot", but having no real comparison point it's hard to tell how much is.. "a lot". If the republic did use gold as a legal tender, they'd have every reason to try an monopolize the trade and possession of gold and this hasn't been indicated so far, nor have there been any type of gold coinage seen which would be a rudimentary anti counterfeit measure.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Here is a map of North America south of the 49th parallel.

This series was compared to the Emberverse series. For comparison, here is the Emberverse map.

Apparently, the absence of firearms resulted in a lot more splinter states in the Emberverse.