Which Horus Heresy novel would you like to see?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Which Horus Heresy novel would you like to see?

Post by wautd »

Personally, I'd like to have one about the World Eaters and their fall to Chaos. Especially about the loyalist captain Ehrlen, who looked like a complete badass (the guy who charged Angron in Fulgrim), or about Khârn when he was still a somewhat sane and honourable warrior.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Which Horus Heresy novel would you like to see?

Post by madd0ct0r »

I'd like one set on a civilian planet descending into chaos with all four factions throwing demon engines at each other.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

The Alpha Legion getting smashed by the Raven Guard as comeuppance for being the totally gullible morons they are. Bonus points if this includes Alpharius (or Omegon; either's fine) getting eviscerated by Corax.

Okay, levity over; I'd like to see the Underworld War on Calth, as well as a look at some of the Legions we haven't heard much of so far, i.e. the White Scars and Salamanders. I still want the Alpha Legion to suffer - a lot - though.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I'd like a non space marine one from the point of view of the imperial army, maybe something split between two factions one following the Emperor and one following Horus to see what motivations the various sides had / have.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Black Admiral wrote:The Alpha Legion getting smashed by the Raven Guard as comeuppance for being the totally gullible morons they are. Bonus points if this includes Alpharius (or Omegon; either's fine) getting eviscerated by Corax.

Okay, levity over; I'd like to see the Underworld War on Calth, as well as a look at some of the Legions we haven't heard much of so far, i.e. the White Scars and Salamanders. I still want the Alpha Legion to suffer - a lot - though.
Why such hatred for a closet-loyalist legion? Or are they? Unless that's what they want you to think?
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

wautd wrote:Why such hatred for a closet-loyalist legion? Or are they? Unless that's what they want you to think?
Largely because they're the biggest ones in the Heresy series so far for weaseling out of the arse-kicking due them. At least the Word Bearers get their comeuppance occasionally (see: Corax partially eviscerating Lorgar on Istvaan V, or the results when the Smurfs regain control of Calth's defence grid in Know No Fear[/ui]).
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Salamanders, definitely. I could also stand to see more of the common citizenry, as the Imperium stops to care about the little guy and becomes the great meat-factory it will be forevermore.

It'll take forever, but reading a book or two on the actual Siege would be wonderful.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Ahriman238 wrote:Salamanders, definitely. I could also stand to see more of the common citizenry, as the Imperium stops to care about the little guy and becomes the great meat-factory it will be forevermore.

It'll take forever, but reading a book or two on the actual Siege would be wonderful.
I would assume at least three novels on the Siege itself.

One about the final preparation, investigating the Traitors on Earth itself, Horus fighting his way across the solar system, ending with the drop pods starting to land and their allies on Earth being revealed.

One about the White scars and the fighting outside the palace itself, maybe ending with hearing of the emperor's 'death'

One about the siege of the palace itself, with human, blood angel and Imperial fist point of view characters ending on Horus's ship again with the emperor's death.

Then maybe a 'post script' book dealing with the immediate aftermath, the emperor being placed on the throne, driving off the last of the enemy on Earth and the start of the efforts to retake the imperium. Both from the point of view of the Loyalists and traitors.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I'd also like to see some more loyalist Iron Warriors kicking traitorous ass. (so far we only got one short novel of that).
khursed
Youngling

Post by khursed »

I'd like to see a novel follow Horus and his traitor legion in the seven years period from istvan V and the siege of Terra, I loved to see the day to day operation of Horus in the first three books, so it would be nice to see the transformation as it happened in fulgrim.

Also, it would be nice to maybe have a book that delves further into what the emperor is doing and thinking.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Bedlam wrote:One about the White scars and the fighting outside the palace itself, maybe ending with hearing of the emperor's
Fuckin' anything with the White Scars, man. It's criminal how frigging underused that legion is when they and their primarch have such an awesome backstory.
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Black Admiral wrote:Largely because they're the biggest ones in the Heresy series so far for weaseling out of the arse-kicking due them. At least the Word Bearers get their comeuppance occasionally (see: Corax partially eviscerating Lorgar on Istvaan V, or the results when the Smurfs regain control of Calth's defence grid in Know No Fear[/ui]).

I think the utter character assassination they and their primarch had to deal with at Abnett's hands is punishment enough, personally.
JADAFETWA
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Meh, having read Legion and being halfway trough Deliverance Lost, I kind of dig the Alpha Legion and their MO.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

khursed wrote:I'd like to see a novel follow Horus and his traitor legion in the seven years period from istvan V and the siege of Terra, I loved to see the day to day operation of Horus in the first three books, so it would be nice to see the transformation as it happened in fulgrim.

Also, it would be nice to maybe have a book that delves further into what the emperor is doing and thinking.
Yeah, that last will never happen.

Does anyone have an idea if the HH books will extend beyond the Siege and entombment of the Emperor? There are probably a dozen incidents in the following years I'd love to see some clarification of.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
khursed
Youngling

Post by khursed »

Ahriman238 wrote:
khursed wrote:I'd like to see a novel follow Horus and his traitor legion in the seven years period from istvan V and the siege of Terra, I loved to see the day to day operation of Horus in the first three books, so it would be nice to see the transformation as it happened in fulgrim.

Yeah, that last will never happen.

Does anyone have an idea if the HH books will extend beyond the Siege and entombment of the Emperor? There are probably a dozen incidents in the following years I'd love to see some clarification of.
One can wish tho :)

I do not know, they seem to have hit the mother lode with the Horus Heresy books, so i am sure we might be happily surprised, as I was reading the original series was supposed to end at like book 6-7? Not 100% sure on that, but I think I read something along those line when one of the author was discussing the fact that they went ahead and wrote a bunch more books because they were so popular but they don't want to run it to the ground until it's crap either.

Although given most money making industry centered on fantasy, they do tend to run them into the ground until it's so dead it should actually be called a skeleton and not a horse. Hopefully they can keep the quality and entertaining stuff coming for a while.

A realistic wish, would be for the siege of Terra to be in 2-3 volumes at the very least, if not more. If the assault on Prospero deserved 2 books from both side, I would imagine the siege of Terra would warrant at least twice as much, if not more.

It would be nice (wishlist stuff) to get a lot more details in what happened to the demon prince primarchs after the siege of Terra, how Abaddon rebuilt his legion, how the loyalist disapeared, get a few answers about some of the more mysterious fluff, such as which died, Alpharius or Omegon?

Even less likely to happen then get a book about the Emperor, would be a book on the demonic prince primarchs of the actual 40k era. Wouldn't it be great if they got a coalition going, replaced Abaddon, and started some real ass kicking?
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Kuja wrote:
Bedlam wrote:One about the White scars and the fighting outside the palace itself, maybe ending with hearing of the emperor's
Fuckin' anything with the White Scars, man. It's criminal how frigging underused that legion is when they and their primarch have such an awesome backstory.
I'm pretty sure they'd get their moment in the limelight when it's time for that massive tank charge to retake a spaceport on Terra...
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

khursed wrote:Even less likely to happen then get a book about the Emperor, would be a book on the demonic prince primarchs of the actual 40k era. Wouldn't it be great if they got a coalition going, replaced Abaddon, and started some real ass kicking?
Eech, no. That story would be about as interesting and last about as long as a WWE superstar beating up on a 60-year-old cripple. Chaos already holds enough aces that their disloyalty and infighting is the only thing that keeps them from conquering the Imperium wholesale.

Angron tore it up on one planet and even though the Imperium technically won that fight, it was only because Angron made a bad choice, and it still cost them uncounted troops, an entire company of the Grey Knights, and it nearly brought the Space Wolves and the Inquisition into a shooting war in the fallout afterwards.

The only way bringing the daemon primarchs to the forefront as a unified force would work without making them herp-derps or incredibly slow conquerors would be to bring back the loyalists as well - have the Lion awaken and emerge from the Rock, have Jaghatai finally escape Commorragh, Vulkan and Russ and Corax return from the Warp, and have the rumor about Guilliman slowly healing from his poisoned wound be true so that one day he simply steps out of his stasis field. Moreover, make them all definitively immune to the touch of Chaos - Jonson from the Watchers' influence, Guilliman from building up resistence to Fulgrim's daemon poison, and the others simply from long exposure to the Warp. Then you've got a fight on your hands.
JADAFETWA
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Kuja wrote:
Angron tore it up on one planet and even though the Imperium technically won that fight, it was only because Angron made a bad choice, and it still cost them uncounted troops, an entire company of the Grey Knights, and it nearly brought the Space Wolves and the Inquisition into a shooting war in the fallout afterwards.

Well...they actually DID start shooting, to the point that the Fang was bombarded from Orbit.

I did chuckle at Grimmar knocking that GK Captain down a peg.

By slicing him in twain with an axe.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
khursed
Youngling

Post by khursed »

Kuja wrote:
khursed wrote:Even less likely to happen then get a book about the Emperor, would be a book on the demonic prince primarchs of the actual 40k era. Wouldn't it be great if they got a coalition going, replaced Abaddon, and started some real ass kicking?
Eech, no. That story would be about as interesting and last about as long as a WWE superstar beating up on a 60-year-old cripple. Chaos already holds enough aces that their disloyalty and infighting is the only thing that keeps them from conquering the Imperium wholesale.

The only way bringing the daemon primarchs to the forefront as a unified force would work without making them herp-derps or incredibly slow conquerors would be to bring back the loyalists as well - have the Lion awaken and emerge from the Rock, have Jaghatai finally escape Commorragh, Vulkan and Russ and Corax return from the Warp, and have the rumor about Guilliman slowly healing from his poisoned wound be true so that one day he simply steps out of his stasis field. Moreover, make them all definitively immune to the touch of Chaos - Jonson from the Watchers' influence, Guilliman from building up resistence to Fulgrim's daemon poison, and the others simply from long exposure to the Warp. Then you've got a fight on your hands.
Imagine a series of 6 books, where in the first one you see the demon prince primarch make an alliance, clean up the eye of terror and assemble the mightiest chaos army ever. Then in the second book, they simply steam roll everything, they crush worlds by the dozens and burn pyres of bodies so high that you think it's a mountain on fire.

Then around book two's ending, you see the first glimmer of hope, in a pretty small system, the force of chaos face their first defeat at the hand of a living god... and take it from there.

They can do epic battle for 2-5 years with that material alone, and re-introduce fan favorite while at the same time having a lot of fun.
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

I would want to see a film of Fulgrim. It seems like the easiest story to adapt to film not to mention is a microcosm of the heresy as a whole.
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Sephirius wrote:I would want to see a film of Fulgrim. It seems like the easiest story to adapt to film not to mention is a microcosm of the heresy as a whole.

As Directed by Zak Snyder
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Sephirius wrote:I would want to see a film of Fulgrim. It seems like the easiest story to adapt to film not to mention is a microcosm of the heresy as a whole.
No, no. The true microcosm of the Heresy is the Dark Angels. ;)

I would love a book about the Scars' fighting on Terra. There is so many cool stories you could do with them, such as said retaking of the spaceport.

The taking of the Moon could be an interesting Battle Book, as it would involve space navy engagements, Titan Legios, and Adeptus Astartes Legions.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Imagine a series of 6 books, where in the first one you see the demon prince primarch make an alliance, clean up the eye of terror and assemble the mightiest chaos army ever.
Except.... Abaddon has already done all that, and he isn't a super duper demigod who doesn't really have to obey causality?*

I want to see more of Abaddon the statesman. After ten thousand years of civil war, I'm genuinely interested to see how he managed to get his Crusades together. Abaddon the Despoiler is, I feel, criminally underused, and I haven't seen him portrayed well anywhere except Execution Hour.

As for "cleaning up the eye of terror" it's already how they like it. Chaotic. Eternal war. Rule of the strongest.

As for assembling the mightiest chaos army ever... Abaddon already has. He won the 13th Black Crusade. If the Chaos army was any mightier, realspace would pretty much cease to exist.

Plus.... I'd feel bad for Abaddon. He's picked up the pieces left by the death of his idol and the almighty Primarchs who seem more intent on diving the Chaos forces, and has welded a shattered, divided, defeated force into something that, once again, is a threat to the entire Imperium. There's got to be some fertile ground for character development in there, surely?
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Sinewmire wrote:Plus.... I'd feel bad for Abaddon. He's picked up the pieces left by the death of his idol and the almighty Primarchs who seem more intent on diving the Chaos forces, and has welded a shattered, divided, defeated force into something that, once again, is a threat to the entire Imperium. There's got to be some fertile ground for character development in there, surely?
What I'd like to see: a book about Abaddon the Despoiler that takes the 'Failbaddon the Armless Failure' and owns it.

That is, it stands up to all the fanboys who moan about what a failure Abaddon is and why is he the chosen of the Chaos Gods when he can't conquer the Imperim in 10,000 years or even get past Cadia.

Fanon: at some point following the Siege of Terra Abaddon secretly realized something that's occasinally been used as a theme in 40K but never really extrapolated on - the forces of Chaos not only don't need to conquer the Imperium, they shouldn't.

See, Chaos needs humanity. Chaos can't feed off the orks (their own gods take that energy) the eldar are a dying race (even Slaanesh can't sate itself on eldar alone) and other races like Necrons, Tau, and Tyranids are all similarly useless. Other, lesser races might be susceptible to Chaos but there's either not enough of them or their emotions doesn't resonate strongly enough for the warp daemons to feed on them.

The problem for Chaos is that Chaos, if it were to conquer the galaxy, would rapidly burn itself out. Three of the four Chaos powers are inherently destructive, and even Tzeentch just can't resist blowing off his subordinates' limbs when the mood strikes him. In the Eye of Terror, this doesn't matter much because of the inherent insanity of the place, but outside, in the real universe, this constant binge of self-harm and self-destruction would rapidly leave the Chaos powers without a food supply.

Chaos needs the Imperium.

Chaos needs that virulent, diametrically opposed base of power to throw itself against endlessly because that way the effectively get to have their cake and eat it too - they can constantly corrupt and destroy as many little people as they like without ever having to worry about the source. The state of the 40K galaxy is effectively Chaos paradise - they don't need the Imperium to fall, the Imperium already does exactly what they need it to do.

More fanon: At some point, Abaddon realized this, and what the fanboys decry as constant failures are really jsut repeated efforts by Abaddon to work Chaos into a frenzy only to let it break uselessly against the Imperium's walls. Abaddon doesn't want the situation to change, he's the single most powerful man in the galaxy. The Chaos Gods don't want it to change, they've effectively got an unending soap opera to watch and entertain themselves with and feed off of. That's why Abaddon is so heavily favored by the gods, he's essentially the linchpin of their entertainment network. Abaddon calls up a Black Crusade, the Gods play along and encourage their own followers to join up, then Abaddon yanks his support and the whole thing crashes down again, both sides getting trolled while the Despoiler and the Chaos Gods yuk it up.
JADAFETWA
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

Lonestar wrote:

As Directed by Zak Snyder
FUND IT.
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360