"Falling Skies" Season 2 (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

"Falling Skies" Season 2 (spoilers)

Post by Guardsman Bass »

What does everyone think so far? I don't think it's a great show, but I do find it entertaining. As for this episode-

1. The whole "Charles Town" story, with hot water, electricity, comfort, 3000 people - it all sounds too good to be true. How would they hide such a settlement from the aliens? Where was the pilot re-fueling on her trips northward to Greenland and beyond? I suppose the show could have it work out, but I wouldn't be surprised if Charles Town was one of those alien "neutral zones" that they tried to entice Tom with in the first episode of this season.

2. Poor Jimmy.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: "Falling Skies" Season 2 (spoilers)

Post by Ahriman238 »

This show is back? Cool.

We've seen the aliens leave people alone in exchange for information, or children, or as bait before.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I was surprised they actually killed Jimmy off. They already killed of so many minor characters off-screen I didn't think they'd do anymore.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Guardsman Bass wrote:What does everyone think so far? I don't think it's a great show, but I do find it entertaining. As for this episode-

1. The whole "Charles Town" story, with hot water, electricity, comfort, 3000 people - it all sounds too good to be true. How would they hide such a settlement from the aliens? Where was the pilot re-fueling on her trips northward to Greenland and beyond? I suppose the show could have it work out, but I wouldn't be surprised if Charles Town was one of those alien "neutral zones" that they tried to entice Tom with in the first episode of this season.

2. Poor Jimmy.
1. I thought the Charlston (Charles Town?) story was another trap. I wouldn't trust her, she's not giving enough information. Weaver handled it excellently, as well as comforting Ben after the funeral. It's interesting to watch him develop. But I'd argue for keeping regiments compartmentalized in cells in this situation rather than try to get as many survivors in one location so the aliens could nuke you.

How they handled Tom's trip to the aliens and return was more frustrating. So many unanswered questions (such as "What is it you want with the planet and our kids?"). He explained he's got missing time, gaps in his memory while he was there, so now the writers can create new flashbacks of his forgotten experiences aboard the craft whenever it's convenient to drive the plot.

What's up with Ben's spines? I thought it was established they were just needles, now they can glow.

2. Agreed.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I am not a fan of how this is going. The offscreen character disposal, the incredibly rushed handling of Tom on the spaceship, the episodes we've seen are rushing past a superficial level. Tom should have been with Pope longer, Weaver should have stuck to his guns longer, Ben should have had a more gradual regression, what are we sacraficing quality developement for, enough episodes to have a "Rescue the prisoners of Charleston after we get there" arc? the first season was good to watch week to week, but even with them all on my DVR I've never been bored enough to rewatch even once, and this season is worse! :lol:

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
MadaBidyoni
Redshirt

Post by MadaBidyoni »

did you saw season 2 episode 3?
come on... that woman found them in a piper plane & the aliens with their tech can't find them? :roll:
Scifi & Fantasy cultural references ...Check it out! :) http://madabidyoni.blogspot.com
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

One thing I like about this season is there is less of a strict separation between civies and military. They haven't really shown more civies being trained to be adhoc forces in an emergency, but there is less talk about them as two distinct groups.

I am curious about that Skitter that has been 'interacting' with Tom's son. I would not be surprised if it turned out to be some sort of skitter fifth column, that wants to work with the humans but can not communicate or understand humans well enough.
MadaBidyoni
Redshirt

Post by MadaBidyoni »

spaceviking wrote:One thing I like about this season is there is less of a strict separation between civies and military. They haven't really shown more civies being trained to be adhoc forces in an emergency, but there is less talk about them as two distinct groups.

I am curious about that Skitter that has been 'interacting' with Tom's son. I would not be surprised if it turned out to be some sort of skitter fifth column, that wants to work with the humans but can not communicate or understand humans well enough.
maybe the red eye is because this alien was a human that they used that thing on him - like they put that thing inside tom's eye?
hmm anyway it doesn't explains why this one is so strong :P
Scifi & Fantasy cultural references ...Check it out! :) http://madabidyoni.blogspot.com
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I am thinking he appears stronger than the other skitters because he is not harnessed and thus can react quicker.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Was he not also the guy on the ship with the shock prod though? I figured he was the right hand critter of the tall alien.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Another freaky episode. I wonder what Weaver will contract from the bite of a harness.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

TOSDOC wrote:Another freaky episode. I wonder what Weaver will contract from the bite of a harness.
His daughter and Diego were chewing screen time up, I really thought they were going to join as regulars. I kind of have a hard time believing a group of kids who had been all but led to their doom, and then rescued by the adults, would then reject those adults. Too bad the second mass appears to have lost it's civillians.

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Well that was poorly handled...I'm not sure I like Skitter George Washington referring to Tom as professor all the time, I also dislike the fluffing of humanity's Divine Spark. The Alien resistance needs US to be their salvation? Really? That being said, these are our problems not theirs. Tom should have been eating that shit up based on his previous positions and opinions wasn't he the one who pointed out the skitters were harnessed too? The irrational hatred is a little too Jean Luc Picard for me.

Weaver's going dowwwwwn that leg bite is more than a leg bite. I bet the Skitter has to create some kind of herbal remedy at some point to earn his trust.

Turning All the lights on in the hospital? Really? Is no one hiding anymore? I had enough trouble with all the cars driving around at night with their lights on and not getting spotted.

Fuck you production team, "Hospital?" You couldn't give the place a name? That brings me right out of the show, if you're not going to put in the effort than whatever :lol:

Hal is obviously over Karen, awkward because she's still popping up from time to time.

Ben is pissing me off, he mishandles everything awfully, terribly, and is routinely allowed to get away with it. Tom's in hella denial if he's describing what's going on as "just being a teenager".

Sure he's just being a teenager possibly mind controlled by an alien Joseph Kony mehhhhh no biggie... meanwhile his little brother boxy is running around with guns and presenting symptoms of PTSD, and his older brother is utterly unable to maintain a chain of command. The 2nd Mass is starting to make Colonel Young's team from Stargate Universe look like a tightly knit unit of professionals.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm enjoying the series immensely, and I'm really hoping that Redeye is legit AND that Charleston is real, because I really want to see humans start fighting back. If the skitters are inherently as peaceful as Redeye says, I can buy them needing humans to help them break free.

The one thing that irritates me most about the season is that last season they found that a HANDGUN round tipped with metal salvaged from a Mek will put a fist-sized hole in it, so why do they not have scrapper teams salvaging every bit they can find and a forge running in a truck round-the-clock?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I'm enjoying the series immensely, and I'm really hoping that Redeye is legit AND that Charleston is real, because I really want to see humans start fighting back. If the skitters are inherently as peaceful as Redeye says, I can buy them needing humans to help them break free.

The one thing that irritates me most about the season is that last season they found that a HANDGUN round tipped with metal salvaged from a Mek will put a fist-sized hole in it, so why do they not have scrapper teams salvaging every bit they can find and a forge running in a truck round-the-clock?
I wondered that when i saw the mechs down at the beginning of the episode, no one was really trying to salvage them? they need to find a dump truck asap

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I just watched Episode 6, and it was a good one. They finally addressed the issue with fuel, which they were apparently running short on (something Weaver was keeping secret from Tom). Karen returns as well, although - surprise! - she's got another game going on (confirmed in the next episode preview where she asked for her "master" back).

The next two episode titles are revealing. Episode 7 is "Molon Labe", which is supposedly what Leonidas said to Persians demanding his surrender at the Battle of Thermopylae. Episode 8 is called "Death March". Perhaps the 2nd Mass's independence is finally coming to a close, and after the next episode the survivors are going to be captured and marched to an Overseer prison camp.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I'm really really hoping that the survivors get to Charleston, even if it turns out that Charleston is the new 'human preserve' on the North American continent. We need a bigger power structure in place to ever have the hope of succeeding.
ImageImage
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner

Post by TOSDOC »

I knew Weaver was going to come down with something, though to bring him out of it was surprising considering what they had. I would have amputated that leg 2 weeks ago.

The season feels very rushed. They have 2 weeks R & R in the hospital, then have a Weaver/Karen/Search and Finding Fuel/Pope subplot exchange taking place in the same 24-hour period. My heart was fibrillating from that much stress, I have no idea how these guys are holding it together.

The Death March episode makes Charlston sound bogus. I bet Ben saves the day.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Is it Charleston, or Charles Town?
I ask because if they are still on the East Coast, the only Charlestons are South Carolina and West Virginia. However, there is the Charlestown area outside of Boston, as well as several other Charlestowns in RI, PA, and MD.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Given the historical referance's they keep doing it'll be whichever one featured more prominently in the American Revolution
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Themightytom wrote:The 2nd Mass is starting to make Colonel Young's team from Stargate Universe look like a tightly knit unit of professionals.
At least the 2nd Mass has the excuse that they are mainly civilians.
Guardsman Bass wrote:They finally addressed the issue with fuel, which they were apparently running short on (something Weaver was keeping secret from Tom).
And, once they had fuel, they went right back to leaving all the lights on in the hospital. Compared to just leaving lots of electric lamps around, often left on when there is nobody in the room. I don't think the writers care about supplies running low, except to pay lip service to it occasionally.

This episode shows that the aliens simply don't care about the 2nd Mass. Along with not being able to tell that they are in the only building with lights on at night.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I think the Alien overlords are (rightfully) more worried about Red-eye and his skitter rebellion than a few pitiful human survivors. Didn't RE basically say that the humans don't have the numbers, weapons or tech to win, but he did?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Darksider wrote:I think the Alien overlords are (rightfully) more worried about Red-eye and his skitter rebellion than a few pitiful human survivors. Didn't RE basically say that the humans don't have the numbers, weapons or tech to win, but he did?
Redeye has the tech and the info, humans have the numbers and the will/ability to fight agressively. I think Redeye said there were only a few hundred 'free' skitters.
Is it Charleston, or Charles Town?
I ask because if they are still on the East Coast, the only Charlestons are South Carolina and West Virginia. However, there is the Charlestown area outside of Boston, as well as several other Charlestowns in RI, PA, and MD.
All the literature from the show says Charleston, if they were going from Boston to Charles Town they wouldn't need to drive for 2 weeks.
ImageImage
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Weaver is now SO badass that he is somehow ferociously sick.
Karen returns yet again to literally manipulate characters this time, as opposed to her usual sympathetic mysterious exposition sightings. Oh great, it's Karen, the aliens are up to something. What is it going the be this time?"

Hal just... there's no logical... he had some kind of breakdown.

Ben lives out every little brother's fantasy and makes out with his brother's hot ex. thank God, i was afraid Margaret would suffer a tragic death rescuing Karen, maybe she still will...

Margaret guesses the plot, and then screws up anyway. Nice. they just fixed her and she's broke again.

Pope sleeps through the episode in order to tell everyone what just happened. Douche. I'm surprised he would even talk to Tom.

Tom is too busy paying lip service to taking over for Weaver, but in fact, is literally holding his hand while his two older sons squabble over the mysterious harnessed girl, and the third apparently foregos any kind of adult supervision because where the hell has HE been since last episode... Tom and the doctor are too busy playing house to intervene in the multiple situations where they could have prevented disaster. WOW Weaver's gonna be pissed. Seriously, discipline was so lax there was just the one guard most of the time. Out of three guards we saw two went into the room with the super strong chick. One to actually just make out with her, the other to kill her, only to fail horribly by a NOT so startling move.

Lourdes continues to be around.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

95% sure that Margaret has more brain tumors. Calling it now.
ImageImage