Geth vs Covenant

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Vashon
Youngling

Geth vs Covenant

Post by Vashon »

The Covenant as of pre-Harvest during the Age of Doubt.

The Geth as of ME3 assuming Legion sacrifices himself and the Geth receive that little upgrade.

A few things though. Considering how retarded Halo Wars was, it is stricken from this thread as being entirely an outlier. All of it.

However, the rest of the verse comes along as well. The Geth get the Perseus Veil and all known domains of it.

Before the Covenant can make use of the Mass Relays, they need to have Mass Effect cores on their ship

For Halo, new is over old and whenever Games contradict books, games will be held in higher canon. For ME, the Codex is highest canon.

They make contact at the edge of Geth space so the Covenant have a general idea of which way the Geth are from. In the first battle, no ships on either sides are captured but both sides manage boarding parties. Both parties are killed either through attrition or ship scuttling but the Geth make away with data on the efects of Covenant weaponry on their ship.

Until the Covenant build ME cores, the only thing the Relays are good for is giving a direction but not distance. Omnidirectional Relays are basically useless. And thus, it will take a minimum of 25 years for the Covenant to find Rannoch.

Maximum time alloted for conflict resolution-100 years. Tie if both players have been insufficiently knocked out.

Bonus Scenario. A particularly large force of Geth happen upon the first games Halo and so do the canonical Covenant. The Geth make landfall and manage to stay mostly hidden and spread out. How would the Geth perform?

During the war, both sides will eventually come to understand the enemies software and what have you. Roughly at the same speed that the Humans did with the Covenant.

Other than that....i guess go...
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Re: Geth vs Covenant

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Why did you select the Covenant at the height of their strength and the Geth at their weakest?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Because Reach nerfed Halo-verse to an insane level? And Vashon thinks that makes it where the Geth could win?

That being said, if you go by ME numbers, you have 38 kiloton MAC equivalents...but the Covvies are an unknown factor. I know the nerf made Halo MACs be somewhere around 64 kilotons, so if those can get through Covvie shields then the Geth have a chance. But I have no idea how the Covenant are weapons-wise now. Plasma should have an edge over kinetic barriers though.

And wouldn't this be the Geth at the height of their power? They have the heretics back potentially, plus whatever the upgrade Legion gave them was (haven't played ME3 yet).

(And who says Halo Wars sucked? It was a fun game, just because it wasn't a shooter doesn't mean anything! :P )
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Vashon
Youngling

Post by Vashon »

Oh the game was fun, it got a few things fuckered up, but...the canon...was violated in brutal fashion.

Besides, all the Vulture needed to be was the Pelican-Troop carrying capacity+dickloads of gunz.

It can carry 10-12 soldiers plus a Scorpion. Thats roughly 65 tons worth of firepower and ammunition to play with.

Me personally, I know it is only a fight with Reach calcs, but a thoughts with current Geth theoretical capabilities.

The Covenant get shot up and hit by MAC rounds, which are far slower than ME slugs.

ME weapon ranges are effectively decided by projectile velocity and the targets ability to detect and evade in time.

The Geth already have shield tech. Eventually reverse engineering Covie tech would eventually make them somewhat effective against Energy Projectors. Technically light has mass and could be blocked, but that would blind the Geth for obvious reasons. So they would have to rely on armor for that. The Plasma Torps...I have doubts as to whether thise are worth a shit against the Geth.

Also notable, the Geth Dreadnought withstood the firepower of the Quarian Fleet without any shields long enough for Shephard to get in and do his thing.

It essentially took Kiloton scale hits buttnaked for atleast a few minutes. Lots of them.

Now in a headon fight, the Covenant still have a very strong advantage to start off with and will most likely retain it for a decade. But when the Geth crack Covenant software...
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:And wouldn't this be the Geth at the height of their power? They have the heretics back potentially, plus whatever the upgrade Legion gave them was (haven't played ME3 yet).
They're at their height in some ways, but not in others. The upgrade makes every geth program into a sapient being; it no longer requires over a thousand networked to achieve artificial intelligence. Their fleet strength will be down somewhat due to a just-ended conflict.

I'm more interested in the question of whether geth programs will be able to invade Covenant hardware. Are the Covenant prepared to fight that sort of attack? In ME, thousands of geth would normally be needed to really compromise a system, but after the upgrade, it should only take one.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Vashon wrote:Also notable, the Geth Dreadnought withstood the firepower of the Quarian Fleet without any shields long enough for Shephard to get in and do his thing.

It essentially took Kiloton scale hits buttnaked for atleast a few minutes. Lots of them.
Mmmm.... not so much. The dreadnought shields were up most of the time; the entire quarian fleet couldn't bring them down. Once they were disabled from the inside, Shepherd and company had to run as fast as they could to an escape vehicle before it blew.

The Codex makes it pretty clear that ME shields ("kinetic barriers") are effective against projectiles, but useless against energy beams. There is armor that's good against energy, though.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
vengence
Redshirt

Post by vengence »

So we know that the mac cannon is roughly similar in strength to a plasma torpedo, we also know that the plasma torpedoes have varying strength depending on the ship itself(a battle cruiser's torps are stronger than a frigates) so likely the mac canon would be likely roughly equivalent to a battle cruisers torpedoes(more of a haphazard guess than anything). We also know that the energy projectors are significantly stronger than the plasma torpedoes and have extremely long ranges(100k or more).
We know that the dreadnoght is the biggest ship in ME and rates roughly 1 km(the geth reaper dreadnought at rannoch was roughly 1.3 km in length but this one was very unique). Also the main cannons rate at roughly 38 kt, and the MACs are rated at 64 kt.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Doesn't the covenant mostly use plasma beam weapons? I see this as being fairly evenly matched, at least to begin with.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

From ME3 we know that the Geth began to prepare for war after Legion's return from the suicide mission in ME2; unfortunately I don't think we have any firm numbers on the Geth fleet, but if we had them post-ME1 heretic exit and pre-Quarian invasion we would be able to get some idea of their ship building capabilities when on a war footing. My impression from the ME3 Geth Dreadnaught mission was that it was built as a flagship after Legion's return, but I don't think that was ever stated; certainly if the heretic Geth had such a ship at the Battle of the Citadel in ME1 they may have destroyed/delayed the Alliance reinforcements long enough for Sovereign to recover from being "in shock" from Saren's death. The Geth may well be able to simply throw material at the Covenant until they come up to par in the hardware department.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Jedi Commisar
Youngling

Post by Jedi Commisar »

The problem with any Mass Effect Vs. battles is that ME ships rely heavily on speed and manoeuvrability that is granted by the eezo hack and Kinetic barriers for defence with ablative armour as a secondary measure against close range GAURDIAN LASER strikes.

This against other Mass Effect powers means that they are about equal however the Covenant is DEW heavy.
"We are the Borg. You will be annihilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness have become irrelevant. Resistance is futile...but welcome."

From the novel Greater than the Sum