New Robocop teaser

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

New Robocop teaser

Post by Gandalf »

Link.

It doesn't say much, but I'm excited nonetheless.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Re: New Robocop teaser

Post by open_sketchbook »

Okay.

Fuck it.

Robocop does not need a fucking remake.

Normally I am totally cool with remakes and updates when they bring a fresh angle to the material.

But Robocop is not only relatively recent, but it holds up. If you touched up the effects you could release that shit today and it'd still have a pretty solid impact. Why the fuck is this being remade?

It looks like they are going to dive into stuff like drone warfare and stuff. Cool, cool. Why the shit are they using the Robocop IP for that?

Pack it in. The movie industry was fun while it lasted.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

That trailer does not impress nor fill me with anything but dread at it's quality.

Nothing is wrong with the old Robocop so a remake is pointless beyond redoing the special effects and I have the ever so obvious feeling the film will drop down to a 12A rating.
Robocop was an 18 for good reason and thats part of what made it brutally effective. Turning it into a 12A leaves you with bullshit childishness like Robocop 3.

The drone shit... I wouldnt judge on because its obviously done in the style of an Omnicorp advert. I HOPE - perhaps in blissful ignorance - they arent going to sink Robocop into being an utter farce by pushing super drones or ruining Robocop's image with loads of pointless crap. The touch up to ED-209 does not bode well.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

open_sketchbook wrote: But Robocop is not only relatively recent, but it holds up. If you touched up the effects you could release that shit today and it'd still have a pretty solid impact. Why the fuck is this being remade?
If by "Relatively recent" you mean "25 years old, and therefore from before most of its target audience were born", yeah.

On one hand, I can see the argument for why a Robocop remake could work now, since the original was totally a parody of 1980s corporate and consumerist greed, and it turns out that isn't nearly as old news as we thought it was.

But I bet this new one won't be that, it'll be about modern security paranoia, and Robocop isn't the property to explore that in (Deus Ex is, of they made a film of that, but they won't and if they did they'd do it wrong anyway).
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Why would the effects have to be bad (which they kinda are, guys) to 'justify' a remake? If they think they can tell a relevant story with the licence, good for them.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stark wrote:Why would the effects have to be bad (which they kinda are, guys) to 'justify' a remake? If they think they can make money from the licence, good for them.
FIFY

Do you really think that a screenwriter and/or director said at any point "I have this dead clever story, but what it really needs to make it fly is the Robocop license?"

I suspect not. I suspect someone was going through a folder of dead '80s properties that hadn't been warmed over for rerelease in a while and found Robocop and thought "I'd buy that for a dollar!".
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

He was probably hired to write a Robocop movie, so I bet he DID say that. :v. The idea there's some kind of metric for remake 'requirement' based on special effects is just dumb. It's not like Robocop was a great movie to start with.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

One thing I'm wondering about is whether or not they can retain the religious themes of the original.

Will Robocop still be Robojesus, resurrected by the invisible hand of the free market?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Only thing I agree on is how the rating will change the feel of the movie. How they will make the whole buy a city security package without showing how shitty said cities are. This is just a viral hype type thing, all the futuristic type movies have this now, waiting to see some real footage.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Everytime they made a sequel to Robocop, it was worse.

I anticipate no different.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Meest wrote:Only thing I agree on is how the rating will change the feel of the movie. How they will make the whole buy a city security package without showing how shitty said cities are. This is just a viral hype type thing, all the futuristic type movies have this now, waiting to see some real footage.
This director's previous (non documentary) films have been rated R for their violence. Presumably the studio wouldn't hire him unless they planned for something similar.

That of course assumes a rational studio.

- George Carlin
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Does this mean that all of Paul Verhoven's Hollywood movies are getting remakes?

Total Recall is coming out soon (and actually looks good IMO).

Robocop
Starship Troopers
The Hollow Man
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

If Robocop looks half as a good as Total Recall does, I'll buy it for a dollar.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Havok wrote:If Robocop looks half as a good as Total Recall does, I'll buy it for a dollar.
:D

It does look like they did an excellent job updating it.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Gandalf wrote:
Meest wrote:Only thing I agree on is how the rating will change the feel of the movie. How they will make the whole buy a city security package without showing how shitty said cities are. This is just a viral hype type thing, all the futuristic type movies have this now, waiting to see some real footage.
This director's previous (non documentary) films have been rated R for their violence. Presumably the studio wouldn't hire him unless they planned for something similar.

That of course assumes a rational studio.
I find it unlikely they will replicate Murphy getting murdered like he did in the original, rational or not.
The original Robocop got cut to ribbons across the world because it was too much

IF the studio decided to make Robocop a film for ADULTS - Its possible they MIGHT go for a lame replication that likes to do fancy cuts with the camera to IMPLY whats happens.
However, it is far more likely the studio will decide to appeal to the largest market by making the film a 12A so they can rake in the younger market - thus you end up with Alien VS Predator garbage rather than Predators garbage. In the end they both end up being shit but at least one dosent go that extra mile.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

PREDATOR490 wrote:I find it unlikely they will replicate Murphy getting murdered like he did in the original, rational or not.
The original Robocop got cut to ribbons across the world because it was too much
I know. I have the unrated DVD, and you can see what was reinserted there.
IF the studio decided to make Robocop a film for ADULTS - Its possible they MIGHT go for a lame replication that likes to do fancy cuts with the camera to IMPLY whats happens.
However, it is far more likely the studio will decide to appeal to the largest market by making the film a 12A so they can rake in the younger market - thus you end up with Alien VS Predator garbage rather than Predators garbage. In the end they both end up being shit but at least one dosent go that extra mile.
That's my concern too. Have any American films been made with an R rating and a hundred million dollar budget?

- George Carlin
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Didn't give away too much but the ED-209 looked bad ass.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Action Avenue
Redshirt

Post by Action Avenue »

I had not heard that they are remaking Robocop until now. The original is so good, hope the cast and crew can do it justice...perhaps even revive the franchise.
Check out my zombie blog http://freakindeadjed.blogspot.com
View my artwork at my studio store at http://zazzle.com/actionave
Visit my deviant art page at http://actionave.deviantart.com
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

The new Alex Murphy...
The new CEO of OmniCorp (OCP)

Can't wait for the reveal of the new Robocop-suit design (RC-2000?) ... hopefully it will be a bit more agile than the original.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

tezunegari wrote:The new Alex Murphy...
I haven't heard of a single thing this guy has ever done before.

So this could be good or bad.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

That had me at Hugh Laurie. Wonder if he'll keep the limp and accent?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

tezunegari wrote:The new Alex Murphy...
The new CEO of OmniCorp (OCP)

Can't wait for the reveal of the new Robocop-suit design (RC-2000?) ... hopefully it will be a bit more agile than the original.
I love Hugh Laurie's performance on House.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

I haven't heard of a single thing this guy has ever done before.
I think I remember this guy from Safe House, Spoiler
I think he was the agent of another safe house that ends up fighting the protagonist
. Does not sound that bad.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

tezunegari wrote:Can't wait for the reveal of the new Robocop-suit design (RC-2000?) ... hopefully it will be a bit more agile than the original.
Saw it. Didn't like it- too many weak points in the form of exposed parts, like the cables.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

And the lower part of his face?