Best/Worst military forces in Science Fiction

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Re: Best/Worst military forces in Science Fiction

Post by Coyote »

Deciding a military that is "best" will probably also mean determining how each setting treats conflict as well.

One thing I liked about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was how Nog was affected by his combat experience and the loss of his leg, and his long arc dealing with depression and PTSD. Few military sci-fi stories have the balls to address that, IMO. It is a big point in favor of "realism". But some might argue that is a peripheral matter of character and plot and writing, and not reflective of military performance, but if military characters are able to operate free of negative consequences (beyond having "stories" to tell, or maybe a cool battle scar while nameless background mooks are killed wholesale), that has a bearing on the story overall. But again, my .02.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm. That could make good military fiction without making a good military.

There's a fair number of post-Vietnam SF stories that feature incompetent or deeply screwed up militaries that are realistic about how war affects people. It was definitely part of the public consciousness at the time.

Or, you might actually see a good military in bad military fiction. Think of the stuff Stuart writes- the military forces are competent and well equipped, and generally succeed in their goals, but everything else about the story is mediocre at best.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

A point could be made that the best military is one that ensures it will never be used, by virtue of it being so terrible a solution that any kind of negotiated settlement is preferrable to going to war.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Batman wrote:A point could be made that the best military is one that ensures it will never be used, by virtue of it being so terrible a solution that any kind of negotiated settlement is preferrable to going to war.
But that is a frame of mind that has ushered in many new advances in warfare --dynamite, the Gatling gun, the atomic bomb-- yet each one inevitably gets used at some point... so there is a lot of potential in setting up a "paper tiger"...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

No wait, you could turn that around.

Say your military is comically useless and pitiful. Resorting to it would be a terrible solution, and any kind of negotiated settlement would be better than war... for you!

:D

It's Zen strategy. Less is more.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Being able to negotiate yourself out of a war is typically the responsibility of the government (particularly its diplomatic corps) as a whole, rather than just the military. But admittedly such segregation of responsibilities isn't always present.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

...You just totally missed the point. Both points.

Come on, even by my standards...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I wasn't responding to your point specifically Simon, hence me not quoting you. I'm just pointing out that military = government is not necessarily the case because we're veering into that territory already and I felt people need to be reminded of this framework.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I got it. :wink:

Anyhow, this is hard to quantify, since so much military science fiction depends on enemies and writing and production decisions. To that end, written sci-fi will always have the advantage, since it costs nothing to write different layers of command and tactical characters, or competent enemies. And usually, one person is writing it so there's no Producer saying "can you fit in a cute kid and a dog? Marketing thinks this will go better if we have a cute kid and a dog. Maybe a robot dog, how's that?"

Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

Simon_Jester wrote: There's a fair number of post-Vietnam SF stories that feature incompetent or deeply screwed up militaries that are realistic about how war affects people. It was definitely part of the public consciousness at the time.
The work of David Drake, who served in Vietnam, has several examples of this, though not necessarily both at the same time. In his Hammer's Slammers stories, while the Slammers themselves are aggressively competent, their local allies are often nepotistic and unprofessional, or at best inexperienced. Looking at his military science fiction in general, a number of protagonists are forced to do terrible (at least from their own perspective) things to survive in war and end up suffering from guilt and/or PTSD.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Drake was on my mind when he wrote that, and arguably some of his work is an example of what I'm thinking of. But not quite what I meant. What I was getting at is that you can have good military SF, without it containing a good military. A war between inept and bloody-minded opponents can be good SF- it's just antiwar military SF.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I don't see how one or all involved parties in a conflict being incompetent like nobody's business makes that tale 'antiwar'.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Ultonius wrote:The work of David Drake, who served in Vietnam, has several examples of this, though not necessarily both at the same time. In his Hammer's Slammers stories, while the Slammers themselves are aggressively competent, their local allies are often nepotistic and unprofessional, or at best inexperienced. Looking at his military science fiction in general, a number of protagonists are forced to do terrible (at least from their own perspective) things to survive in war and end up suffering from guilt and/or PTSD.
I suppose a military that is actually professional and competent would not need to hire the Slammers, but then on the other hand I'd also like to see them get hired by a faction/nation/whoever in that setting that is actually competent and able, but are just overwhelmed by an enemy with massive numerical superiority (or some other advantage) and are forced to parcel out for some support.

But the Slammers stories are shaped by his Vietnam experience, where the professional*, well-equipped American military was propping up an incompetent nepotistic kleptocracy with little public support while fighting against an enemy of guerrilla thugs and an autocratic regime. So that leaves a mark.

*professional as in powerful and capable with some semblance of decent command & control and professional structure, despite the draftee nature and the tales of things like drug abuse and such.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think The Warrior had a scene of that- where they were fighting in the rice paddies; the local armor on both sides seemed reasonably competent and well equipped.

There are probably some others, where local forces (or at least some of them) know what they're doing.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

The opposition in the Warrior was more than competent, there was just such a huge technological gap between them and the Slammers it was a Shermans verses Abrahms scenario. If the indigs had had equivelant equipment they'd have won.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In the battle in the paddies, I don't think it was that sharp- the difference in equipment was significant, but not enough to let the Slammers beat huge local forces alone. They needed the local forces of their employers backing them up, and suffered from the fact that their locals weren't quite as good as the other locals.
Randalthorpk
Redshirt

Post by Randalthorpk »

Read a book long ago (like when I was in HS) about mercanaries on a galactic level, the galactic goverment allowed people to hire them to fight in planetary wars but they were restricted to using an indigenous tech level. I cant remember the name of the book now, but the Merc force was definetly one of my personal top 5 bad ass forces since they could fight with everything from swords and bows through ultra high tech (to us anyway) main battle tanks and combat arms.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all."

James Graham, 1st Marquess and 5th Earl of Montrose, 1612-1650
(Common Paraphase: "He Who Dares Wins")
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

What kind of stupid setup is that? If I hire mercenaries from offworld I want that expense to show for something, namely them crushing the opposition on short notice with vastly superior technology. If they're restricted to indigeneous technology, what's the incentive for me to hire them to begin with? Especially as chances are the natives are better at using that technology than the mercenaries.
Randalthorpk
Redshirt

Post by Randalthorpk »

Batman wrote:What kind of stupid setup is that? If I hire mercenaries from offworld I want that expense to show for something, namely them crushing the opposition on short notice with vastly superior technology. If they're restricted to indigeneous technology, what's the incentive for me to hire them to begin with? Especially as chances are the natives are better at using that technology than the mercenaries.
ahhh but while their wepons could only be the level of indigenous tech, they were allowed to use 100% of the medical and reparitave tech. the way I understood it, was as an example if the US was hiring them to fight the soviets (yes im using a cold war metaphore) they would be limited to projectile weapons but they could be using target seaking supersonic Gyrojet guns while all we could use was simple slug throwers. The advantage is still there, its just more of semantics.
To win or lose it all."

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

That's idiotic. If supersonic (and seriously, modern day pistol bullets are supersonic as often as not) gyrojet tarket seekers are outside inigeneous technology the mercenary's don't get to use them either by that setup.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Randalthorpk wrote:ahhh but while their wepons could only be the level of indigenous tech, they were allowed to use 100% of the medical and reparitave tech. the way I understood it, was as an example if the US was hiring them to fight the soviets (yes im using a cold war metaphore) they would be limited to projectile weapons but they could be using target seaking supersonic Gyrojet guns while all we could use was simple slug throwers. The advantage is still there, its just more of semantics.
:wtf:

That's damn stupid, and whoever thought that rule up needs to have shit shoved in his ear. The whole point of hiring mercs is to quickly give you advantages that you couldn't get otherwise. If the mercs were being hired to do assassinations and the like I could understand restricting them to using only local tech. It would also be understandable if you wanted the mercs to show your Iron Age civilization how to make, care for and use decent firearms properly, because you are going to most likely have to produce the guns and ammo yourself (if you're wise, at least).

But not letting the super-advanced aliens use all of their toys? What's the use then, if you'll only end up with another native-equivalent force you could already hire/raise yourself - and therefore not have to go through the bother and expense of contracting spacemen? Especially since that restriction is laughable to begin with: we can't use nukes and lasers, but we CAN clone tissue and cure cancer, and the natives can't! I suppose firing lead out of Gyrowank seekers isn't any more deadly or advanced than simple rifles, either! :lol:

Really, that restriction - which is dumb to begin with - isn't even consistent.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Batman wrote:What kind of stupid setup is that? If I hire mercenaries from offworld I want that expense to show for something, namely them crushing the opposition on short notice with vastly superior technology. If they're restricted to indigeneous technology, what's the incentive for me to hire them to begin with? Especially as chances are the natives are better at using that technology than the mercenaries.
Let's take nazi germany for an example, if these guys can bring in another 1000 tigers, a fleet of made out of the best quality of other wise cost prohibited steel, or start dropping nukes on the allies ten minutes after the first successful test is done in America.

I don't know what your using to pay for these, I'll just assume 20 million jew, chinese, french slaves.
Malivotti
Redshirt

Post by Malivotti »

Sounds like Joel Rosenberg's 'Metzadan Mercenary Corps' stories only two books though that I recall, 'Not for Glory' and 'Hero'. The conflicts are regulated by a department of the government that control access to space flight if remember right.
Randalthorpk wrote:Read a book long ago (like when I was in HS) about mercanaries on a galactic level, the galactic goverment allowed people to hire them to fight in planetary wars but they were restricted to using an indigenous tech level. I cant remember the name of the book now, but the Merc force was definetly one of my personal top 5 bad ass forces since they could fight with everything from swords and bows through ultra high tech (to us anyway) main battle tanks and combat arms.
Randalthorpk
Redshirt

Post by Randalthorpk »

@Malivotti Hero thats the book, I wasnt even aware there was a second one though *starts diging for it*
To win or lose it all."

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

If your goal was to fight wars with maximum efficiency at all times, then yes, it is stupid. If the goal is to regulate or control a society (or aspects of it, including warfare, technology, etc.) then it actually makes some sense, depending on the context. It sounds a bit like the way things were set up in Early Dune novels. Or perhaps a variation on the Prime Directive (the non retarded one.)

Hell its an idea I'd considered for SW and 40K at times to explain their OWN military stupidity on occasions.

Batman wrote:That's idiotic. If supersonic (and seriously, modern day pistol bullets are supersonic as often as not) gyrojet tarket seekers are outside inigeneous technology the mercenary's don't get to use them either by that setup.
If I gather what they're saying correctly, they're limited to the limits of whatever the planet's technology level is, but they can use basically anything up to the limits of that freely. The gyrojet example might be a bad one, but it basically means 'stuff that is rare or expensive militarily for us nowadays would be easily accessible and common' for them. They wouldn't have an OMFGHUGE advantage militarily, but they'd have a significant one all the same.)

An easier analogue might be to say if they fought an enemy that was in the 19th century where flintlock muskets are common, they might be able to make rifled and/or breechloading weapons to outfit themselves easily, which would provide a considerable advantage (not not neccesarily an unbeatable one.)