Chaos in Warhammer 40000 - Doomed?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Chaos in Warhammer 40000 - Doomed?

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Remind me; How exactly is Chaos in Warhammer 40000 Universe supposed to be doomed again? Because it seemed to me they are actually WINNING.
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Chaos in Warhammer 40000 - Doomed?

Post by Lord Revan »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:Remind me; How exactly is Chaos in Warhammer 40000 Universe supposed to be doomed again? Because it seemed to me they are actually WINNING.
well the funny thing about chaos is that they're experts at shooting themselves in the foot (metaphorically speaking), they are called chaos for a reason after all.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Lord Revan wrote:
SpaceMarine93 wrote:Remind me; How exactly is Chaos in Warhammer 40000 Universe supposed to be doomed again? Because it seemed to me they are actually WINNING.
well the funny thing about chaos is that they're experts at shooting themselves in the foot (metaphorically speaking), they are called chaos for a reason after all.
Well, yes, but that's short term. In the long run it seemed they have a decent chance at actually destroying the Imperium, if the Golden Throne fails and the Emperor dies. However, some details in the fluff seemed to suggest that Chaos would eventually destroy itself or be destroyed by other more dangerous foes e.g. Ynnead Eldar God of Death, Necrons bring up the Warp-nullifiers, etc.
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah, there's probably something that says that. So? What are you asking, exactly?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
Well, yes, but that's short term. In the long run it seemed they have a decent chance at actually destroying the Imperium, if the Golden Throne fails and the Emperor dies. However, some details in the fluff seemed to suggest that Chaos would eventually destroy itself or be destroyed by other more dangerous foes e.g. Ynnead Eldar God of Death, Necrons bring up the Warp-nullifiers, etc.
you got it backwards in short term chaos forces can supress their urge to backstab each other, but in long term that side will take over since the dark gods cannot hold intrest on the matter and will go back to fighting each other (it's even said in the chaos daemons codex in pretty much those words). Indeed from what I've read this is the primary reason why Abbadon's dark crusades failed (basically he wasn't able to stop his forces from infighting).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Everyone in 40k is doomed. It's rather the point of the exercise.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Except the Nids and the Orks. The universe afterall, is green.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

If anything, the perception that Chaos is doomed comes from the tabletop campaigns that GW occasionally runs. I believe in a recent one for the Black Crusade, the Chaos players basically got their ass kicked all over by the Imperials and Eldar. However, that didn't flow well with the grimdark future of GW's vision, so the company wrote up Chaos' getting their heads handed to them as the forces of the Emperor and others as desperate holding actions that barely contained the Black Crusade rather then a massive rout for Chaos as the game results trended.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Broken wrote:If anything, the perception that Chaos is doomed comes from the tabletop campaigns that GW occasionally runs. I believe in a recent one for the Black Crusade, the Chaos players basically got their ass kicked all over by the Imperials and Eldar. However, that didn't flow well with the grimdark future of GW's vision, so the company wrote up Chaos' getting their heads handed to them as the forces of the Emperor and others as desperate holding actions that barely contained the Black Crusade rather then a massive rout for Chaos as the game results trended.
Aren't the Chaos armies known for being favored by munchkins/power gamers? (I recall them being the most recomended choice for "Easy to build army if you want to win a lot". ).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Well the Black Crusade campaign was two editions ago, back when GW did cool stuff like worldwide campaigns. And anyway, I'm pretty sure regular Space Marines are the go-to easy to build army.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Iracundus
Youngling

Post by Iracundus »

Broken wrote:If anything, the perception that Chaos is doomed comes from the tabletop campaigns that GW occasionally runs. I believe in a recent one for the Black Crusade, the Chaos players basically got their ass kicked all over by the Imperials and Eldar. However, that didn't flow well with the grimdark future of GW's vision, so the company wrote up Chaos' getting their heads handed to them as the forces of the Emperor and others as desperate holding actions that barely contained the Black Crusade rather then a massive rout for Chaos as the game results trended.
You have misremembered. The exact opposite occurred. Chaos won the online Eye of Terror campaign which depicted the opening stages of the 13th Black Crusade and it was declared a minor victory for Chaos. If they had gone with what the results were trending it would have been a complete rout for the Imperium.

http://web.archive.org/web/200403130526 ... /index.htm

Shows the day by day breakdown of the results of the campaign and the trend is a steady downward one for the Imperium. It is amazing how much misinformation has been spread over the years by mistaken remembering of the results, and by outright denial and spin by Imperial players, unable to accept they lost a campaign.
Victory for Chaos! Not a complete victory, the forces of Order have held the line in many places and Cadia itself still defies the Arch Warmaster Abaddon. But nonetheless over eight weeks the forces ot Disorder have consistently out-fought and out-manoeuvred their opponents across the warzones of the Eye of Terror.

White Dwarf magazine 287, Death by a Thousand Cuts by Andy Chambers
The above is the direct GW quote from their published house magazine, White Dwarf, in the end of campaign wrap up article. It is not an in-universe article either, but an out of universe one by one of GW's developers and the coordinator of the campaign.