Avengers (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Re: Avengers (Spoilers)

Post by Marko Dash »

we know LMDs are present in the movie verse, IIRC tony mentioned them in his first attempt at avoiding the call.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

What the heck is an LMD?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Simon_Jester wrote:What the heck is an LMD?
Ted C wrote:
Darmalus wrote:What is this LMD people keep mentioning? Something from the comics, I assume.
Marvel comics has "Life Model Decoys" that are artificial duplicates of people that might be targeted for assassination.
In the movie, Stark says when Coulson goes to Stark Tower, "You've reach the life model decoy of Tony Stark" which I'm hoping was a throw away joke and not something they're going to use in the actual movies.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Simon_Jester wrote:What the heck is an LMD?
Life Model Decoy.

An android duplicate of a person that is sent to deal with annoying or hazardous situations. Mostly, it's something Fury uses and has at least a dozen of. IIRC a couple villains have used them to fake their deaths, hence the speculation that Coulson was an LMD. There's a throwaway line in the movie where Stark answers his video phone and claims to be "the Life Model Decoy of Tony Stark."

EDIT: ninja'd.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I would much rather they go for "Coulson received medical treatment by some strange means and was revived" than "Coulson was actually a robot duplicate!"

Why would they even bother sending robo-Coulson down to deal with Loki in that case? Why not send a fully generic killbot? Say, one that was relatively knife-proof?
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

If the Coulson that confronted Loki actually is a robot decoy that would have been a terrible choice by the film makers because it both makes little sense and hurts the film. Why wouldn't Coulson's decoy have acted more recklessly so as to keep Loki from killing Thor? Why would Fury have seemed upset? Why was there blood? And if it was a robot all along, it ruins Coulson's "hey, I'm probably dying here, so just make sure you use my death as best you can, ok?" act at the end.

Are people suggesting LMDs because they want it or because they think it's what actually happened? The movies have done a fairly good job of avoiding comic book bullshit so far.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Having Coulson turn out to be an LMD would be quite the cop-out, but that doesn't mean that LMDs are inherently a bad idea - the Deltite takeover of S.H.I.E.L.D. could be a great story arc for the Nick Fury movie.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

I really, really hope Coulsen stays dead. Any method of bringing him back to life would be infinitely lame and remove the only remotely interesting thing about the character.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

evilsoup wrote:I really, really hope Coulsen stays dead. Any method of bringing him back to life would be infinitely lame and remove the only remotely interesting thing about the character.
Yeah...I liked Coulson's character so I can't agree with you there, but any way of bringing him back cheapens his death.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

It is however, exactly the kind of think Fury would do (ref: the cards) to get the Avengers fired up.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If Coulson simply survived the injury- "reports of my death were greatly exaggerated," with a cut to images of doctors trying frantically to revive him- I'd be happy with that. Anything much more convoluted would seem cheap.

Bonus points if Coulson survives the injury but is demonstrably weakened physically afterwards- say, he's confined to a desk job.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

CarsonPalmer wrote: Yeah...I liked Coulson's character so I can't agree with you there, but any way of bringing him back cheapens his death.
Unless Coulson was ordered dead by Fury. I'd love to see in the next Cap movie he gets into trouble and who comes to save him but Coulson and other shield agents, as for why he had to play dead he just brushes it off as "Fury ordered me to stay dead, he thought it would help the team". You see heroic sacrifice potential while I see dick move on Fury's part potential and a great way to set him up as someone they need but someone they can not be friends with.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

What if Coulson was either always a robot or as an alternative, what if he's too useful as a government liason so after the New York incident they start letting an LMD of Coulson walk around doing his job?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I think Fury totally faking Coulson's death rather than just doing the card thing to give the avenge a nudge in the right direction would be a bit of a bad move on his part. The Avenger's probably wouldn't be happy if they found out he was pulling their strings like that.

Of course it depends how far ahead you credit Fury with thinking. Faking the death might give decent short term boost to the team and if he thinks there isn't going to be a long term if he doesn't motivate the avengers then he might go for it anyway.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

'Coulson - but I thought you were dead! It was very tragic (or it would have been if there had been any reason for the audience to care about you) and galvanized the team!'
'I got better.'

That would just be... worse than most comic book deaths, and those are always fucking stupid anyway. I don't think it would be worth the stupidity just to bring back a personalityless character who only existed to deliver exposition anyway.

Man

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

The problem with most Comic Book Deaths/Resurrections is that they're done cheaply. They die, heroes mourn. Sometime later, they get brought back, and by the end of the story it's as if they were never gone in the first place.

To do it right, just leave out that last part. Play up the consequences. The Avengers feeling a mixture of relief that he's back and anger at him (and especially Fury) for deceiving them. Coulson trying to regain their trust, and the like. Stuff like that could make up an entire subplot for an Avengers Sequel, or the movieverse as a whole leading up to Avengers 2.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Do you really find Coulson interesting enough to want to devote an entire sub-plot of one of the movies to him?

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I don't. It'd have to be something that's either somehow plot significant in its own right, or something that can be settled in one or two minutes of screen time tops.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

YT300000 wrote:the Deltite takeover of S.H.I.E.L.D. could be a great story arc for the Nick Fury movie.
Man that's an old arc, before my time, I had to look it up. :D

From what I found online, I'd have to agree. Fits in perfectly with the whole paranoia of Nick Fury. Quick question though, could did this have inspired the Secret Invasion storyline?
Needs moar dakka
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

MrDakka wrote:
YT300000 wrote:the Deltite takeover of S.H.I.E.L.D. could be a great story arc for the Nick Fury movie.
Man that's an old arc, before my time, I had to look it up. :D

From what I found online, I'd have to agree. Fits in perfectly with the whole paranoia of Nick Fury. Quick question though, could did this have inspired the Secret Invasion storyline?
The 2008 Skrull Invasion arc? I haven't actually read that one, as I've only read comics sporadically since 2006 or so. But it seems to follow the same themes, which makes sense. It's the most compelling kind of story you can write about the world's greatest spy. :)

As for inspiration, it's interesting to note that the 1988 Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. arc started exactly a month after the Star Trek TNG episode Conspiracy, which was about members of Starfleet high command being mind-controlled by alien parasites. So that was probably a source of inspiration as well.

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

The character was excellent, but it's more dramatic if he's actually dead.
Coulson knew the risks of going up against Loki single-handedly, that it would almost certainly get him killed, but he did it anyway. It cheapens his sacrifice if he isn't dead.
Crazedwraith wrote:Faking the death might give decent short term boost to the team and if he thinks there isn't going to be a long term if he doesn't motivate the avengers then he might go for it anyway.
That sounds incredibly like a paraphrase of something movie-continuity Fury would actually say. I can almost imagine it in SLJ's voice.
Perhaps the "make the team realize Fury does whatever it takes, even if it means being an asshole" dramatic angle is worth the price of removing the drama of Coulson's death.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

YT300000 wrote:As for inspiration, it's interesting to note that the 1988 Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. arc started exactly a month after the Star Trek TNG episode Conspiracy, which was about members of Starfleet high command being mind-controlled by alien parasites. So that was probably a source of inspiration as well.
Can't be - the lead time for a comic book is several months at a minimum.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I saw the movie again and at the very end, the agent standing in the middle of the bridge whom Agent Hill passes could look like Coulson (a balding man with very short, dark hair). The camera was far enough away that he could also very easily not look like Coulson. If they put that as an easter egg they certainly left enough plausible deniability, which is good because if they don't have damn good payoff to make up for it they really shouldn't be bringing comic-book-death and other bullshit into the movie franchise.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I just feel like reminding people that the last time Joss Whedon ressurected a super hero, there were long term consequences out the wazoo. Colossus, in Astonishing X-Men--revived by aliens who turns out to be that race's version of the anti-christ (it works, these aliens were that stupid, with cultural aspects that should have driven them to extinction millennia ago) and issues with interpersonal relationships everywhere.

And then he killed another X-person at the end of that arc to balance the tables. Because that's how he rolls.

Then there was the time he resurrected Buffy for a second time--and we got an entire season worth of post traumatic stress disorder from her as, it turns out, she was ripped out from a heavenly place.

Given those two precedents, I'm sure that if Coulson does return, there will be consequences.

Whether it'll be good or not is still 50/50 though. Season 6 was mostly crap compared to the rest of Buffy.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Broomstick wrote:
YT300000 wrote:As for inspiration, it's interesting to note that the 1988 Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. arc started exactly a month after the Star Trek TNG episode Conspiracy, which was about members of Starfleet high command being mind-controlled by alien parasites. So that was probably a source of inspiration as well.
Can't be - the lead time for a comic book is several months at a minimum.
Does it really take that long? Obviously Marvel wasn't double-shipping everything back then, but I thought they already had the 3-team structure in place and had cut turnaround times way down to better compete with DC's resurgence?