Avengers (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: Avengers (Spoilers)

Post by Ted C »

PREDATOR490 wrote:It was already suggested earlier in this thread Hawkeye was brought in to replace Iron Man if RDJ didnt turn up. It could be the film makers being cautious or an indication grumbling is taking place. Given how much face time he is recieving and the CGI he commands on screen I wouldnt be surprised if the film makers want him out before he starts asking for more. Wouldnt be the first time an actor has literally snapped at the hand that feeds them.
IM2 seemed to set up Don Cheadle to take RDJ's place, since Jim Rhodes has done stints as Iron Man a few times in the comics, including being an Avenger. Nonetheless, whatever negotiations were in progress with RDJ seem to have worked out.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Ahriman238 wrote:Was I the only one bothered by Hawkeye's quiver that swaps out arrowheads? Somehow it seemed more likely to break, taking up as much space, and generally being less practical then just having multiple specialty arrows.

Yeah but it was awesome. :D
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

From the interviews that I've seen, Downey seems pretty content with his current position. Iron Man was initially going to be the lead of The Avengers, but he and Whedon agreed that it didn't work as well, and the movie was re-written. He said that it was nice that he didn't have to carry this one, so it could have a more natural focus on the team. Iron Man 3 will "put him back in a situation where things are more stripped down to their basics, and he again has to rely on his ingenuity to make it though" (rough, half-remembered quotation). Also, Feige has confirmed that the plot will somewhat follow the Spoiler
Extremis
story arc.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I saw the movie with my Dad on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it had a good blend of comedy, action, and character, although the plot was paper-thin IMO.

And yes, I had a total nerdgasm when I saw Thanos at the end, and heard quite a few folks in the theater saying "who was that?"
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Really surprised that the DOD pulled out from this one. Upon reading that I thought that it might be because of the attempted nuking of New York. But Michael Bay's Transformers portrayed Sector 7 (I wonder if anyone asked how THEY fit into the government/military hierarchy?) as a bunch of jerks, and had the US government caving to Decepticon demands in Dark of the Moon.

I thought that SHIELD, being the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division, seemed pretty obviously American. What kind of international organization uses the word "homeland" to identify itself, the way that Homeland Security does?
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
The Imperator
Youngling

Post by The Imperator »

BEST. MOVIE. I. HAVE. EVER. SEEN.

Even though I am a guy, when I saw Thanos at the end I literally squealed in happiness that Thanos will be a villain.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Jim Raynor wrote:Really surprised that the DOD pulled out from this one. Upon reading that I thought that it might be because of the attempted nuking of New York. But Michael Bay's Transformers portrayed Sector 7 (I wonder if anyone asked how THEY fit into the government/military hierarchy?) as a bunch of jerks, and had the US government caving to Decepticon demands in Dark of the Moon.

I thought that SHIELD, being the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division, seemed pretty obviously American. What kind of international organization uses the word "homeland" to identify itself, the way that Homeland Security does?
That's the ultimate marvel interpretation. I think they're going for something closer to the classic marvel interpretation where it's more of an international thing. those shadowy faces on the "council" looked like reps from different nations to me. I think I saw at least american, chinese, and russian.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

From the interviews that I've seen, Downey seems pretty content with his current position. Iron Man was initially going to be the lead of The Avengers, but he and Whedon agreed that it didn't work as well, and the movie was re-written. He said that it was nice that he didn't have to carry this one, so it could have a more natural focus on the team.
Well, initially it was going to focus more on Cap, as he was supposed to be in charge, RDJ objected on the logic that Stark as he plays him wouldn't be the sort to take orders and that he should be in charge, which may be a ploy to get more screen time but is still a good point. Supposedly they then negotiated that down to more or less what we got.
I kind of like the idea that it started as a US organisation and then sort of evolved into something that the DOD lost control of once they put Fury in charge. He clearly has no qualms about telling his boss to shove it if they make a stupid decision and Fury seems like he would object to a lot of the plans that the government came up with in The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2, so he may just have gone elsewhere to ask for funding and been public enough that the US doesn't really want to take him down messily.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

So, who is that blonde girl we see during the fight at the cafe, and then afterwards giving an interview saying how she was saved by Cap?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Dartzap wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:who's aunt robin?
Character in How I Met Your Mother :)
I didn't realise it was Robin from that show. Most probably because I only watch a few episodes.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

I think she's a character for Captain America 2.
Also Thor 2 should be about the Chitauri attacking Asgard to kidnap Loki and should end with Loki sacrificing himself.
And Iron Man 3 should have Stark getting the Hulk drunk.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

I doubt she will be anyone in an upcoming movie, she was just a perfectly ordinary person who would have died, and didn't because someone saved her life. That whole final scene I saw as more a meta kind of 'thank you' to everyone that ever read a comic book or watched a film, because a lot of what went on, the tattoos, the haircuts, the crowds of people in masks cheering to see their heroes are exactly what happens in real life, and the bloke with the stick up his arse ranting about how the Avengers should be investigated for damage done to the city is every person that has ever got stuck into fiction because it corrupts the young and teaches them to ignore authority or some such. She was an extension of that, one of the thousands of characters who only ever appeared in one panel, never had a line and never got a chance to say thank you to the strangely dressed man/woman/alien/mutant/embodiment of pure rage that saved their life.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

On the other hand, she was clearly visible in one scene during the battle being rescued by Captain America, and she was given the focus of that 'talking heads' bit, and she was specifically gushing about Captain America.

I mean it could easily be like you say, but given the interconnectedness of these films, it could also easily have been setting up something.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

evilsoup wrote:On the other hand, she was clearly visible in one scene during the battle being rescued by Captain America, and she was given the focus of that 'talking heads' bit, and she was specifically gushing about Captain America.

I mean it could easily be like you say, but given the interconnectedness of these films, it could also easily have been setting up something.
Eh, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Probably focused on her cause she had the later scene.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

YT300000 wrote:From the interviews that I've seen, Downey seems pretty content with his current position. Iron Man was initially going to be the lead of The Avengers, but he and Whedon agreed that it didn't work as well, and the movie was re-written. He said that it was nice that he didn't have to carry this one, so it could have a more natural focus on the team. Iron Man 3 will "put him back in a situation where things are more stripped down to their basics, and he again has to rely on his ingenuity to make it though" (rough, half-remembered quotation). Also, Feige has confirmed that the plot will somewhat follow the Spoiler
Extremis
story arc.
I also heard that to bribe entice Chinese authorities to gain access to the Chinese market they planned to film parts of Iron Man 3 in China. So I am guessing it might be the Mandarin trying to use the Extremis tech, which I believe has occurred in the comics. Of course China might find the character of the Mandarin objectionable, with the racial stereotypes etc, so who knows.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Confirmation that the big baddie was Thanos

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 35677.html
In an interview with /Film, writer/director Joss Whedon discussed why he wanted to include the character in "The Avengers." Whedon said, "He for me is the most powerful and fascinating Marvel villain." He went on to joke, "He's the great grand daddy of the badasses and he's in love with death and I just think that's so cute.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

:wtf:

Well...cute isn't exactly the word I would use...but more power to Whedon I guess.

As for the movie itself, from all that I've heard, its only a matter of time till I see it myself. Its just a matter of convincing my parents to get off their lazy bums and go to a theater. I really want to see this movie darn it!

EDIT: And yes, I realize it was a joke. :)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Ahriman238 wrote:Was I the only one bothered by Hawkeye's quiver that swaps out arrowheads? Somehow it seemed more likely to break, taking up as much space, and generally being less practical then just having multiple specialty arrows.
The shafts took more space in the quiver than the arrowheads, so it makes some sense to give himself versatility be being able to quickly choose from a variety of arrowheads and put it on a generic shaft.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

evilsoup wrote:Also Thor 2 should be about the Chitauri attacking Asgard to kidnap Loki and should end with Loki sacrificing himself.
The Chitauri already know that Asgard can put up a fight.

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Ted C wrote:The shafts took more space in the quiver than the arrowheads, so it makes some sense to give himself versatility be being able to quickly choose from a variety of arrowheads and put it on a generic shaft.
Unless he carried a lot more arrowheads than shafts, he'd only have a limited supply of a specific type of arrow, regardless. And besides, how was he picking exactly the right arrow anyway? Considering that he has to reach behind him to grab an arrow, unless the quiver also popped the primed arrow or something there's no guarantee that he wouldn't just nab a dud, especially with a full quiver.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Unless he carried a lot more arrowheads than shafts, he'd only have a limited supply of a specific type of arrow, regardless. And besides, how was he picking exactly the right arrow anyway? Considering that he has to reach behind him to grab an arrow, unless the quiver also popped the primed arrow or something there's no guarantee that he wouldn't just nab a dud, especially with a full quiver.
Muscle memory handles that well enough. Given the amount of things that a human can train themselves to do by feel alone, it's not a stretch that he could train himself to draw arrows in a specific order. There are other problems with the quiver, drawing the arrows in order isn't one of them. If you really want to care about the quiver, ask yourself about the arrowheads since they're only changed when he gives input. That thing, as it's visually implemented, is marvel's own Bag of Holding, to use a Dungeons and Dragons term.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

mr friendly guy wrote:
YT300000 wrote:From the interviews that I've seen, Downey seems pretty content with his current position. Iron Man was initially going to be the lead of The Avengers, but he and Whedon agreed that it didn't work as well, and the movie was re-written. He said that it was nice that he didn't have to carry this one, so it could have a more natural focus on the team. Iron Man 3 will "put him back in a situation where things are more stripped down to their basics, and he again has to rely on his ingenuity to make it though" (rough, half-remembered quotation). Also, Feige has confirmed that the plot will somewhat follow the Spoiler
Extremis
story arc.
I also heard that to bribe entice Chinese authorities to gain access to the Chinese market they planned to film parts of Iron Man 3 in China. So I am guessing it might be the Mandarin trying to use the Extremis tech, which I believe has occurred in the comics. Of course China might find the character of the Mandarin objectionable, with the racial stereotypes etc, so who knows.
From what I've read the Mandarin is going to be the next villain, and they've cast Ben Kingsley for the role. It looks promising, but they'll probably have to make the ten rings technology-based for the character to work. And give him some actual clothing to wear. :P
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

YT300000 wrote:
From what I've read the Mandarin is going to be the next villain, and they've cast Ben Kingsley for the role. It looks promising, but they'll probably have to make the ten rings technology-based for the character to work. And give him some actual clothing to wear. :P
Hang on a minute. They want to resort to the same "yellow face" stuff the Last Airbender pulled. At least get a Eurasian actor since the Mandarin is of mixed heritage. Although I bet you this being comics they will use a trick from James Bond and has the Mandarin use some tech to change his appearance so he can infiltrate the US. :D

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

evilsoup wrote:On the other hand, she was clearly visible in one scene during the battle being rescued by Captain America, and she was given the focus of that 'talking heads' bit, and she was specifically gushing about Captain America.

I was reading on IMDB that the character was originally in a bunch of Captain America scenes that were cut from the movie. They had to do with him trying to adjust to changes in the world. Whedon says they'll be on the DVD. The way he said it made it sound like they'd be in the cut of the film but I'm hoping that they'll just be included as deleted scenes. Cap adjusting to the 21st Century should be a bigger part of a Captain America movie more than it should be in an Avengers movie. It got touched on like it should but having a bunch of scenes about it wasn't necessary.

I suppose it could be argued that the personal scenes with Stark and Pepper were unnecessary in that regard but they introduced the new Stark Tower and helped get the audience more invested in Colson.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

mr friendly guy wrote:
YT300000 wrote:From what I've read the Mandarin is going to be the next villain, and they've cast Ben Kingsley for the role. It looks promising, but they'll probably have to make the ten rings technology-based for the character to work. And give him some actual clothing to wear. :P
Hang on a minute. They want to resort to the same "yellow face" stuff the Last Airbender pulled. At least get a Eurasian actor since the Mandarin is of mixed heritage. Although I bet you this being comics they will use a trick from James Bond and has the Mandarin use some tech to change his appearance so he can infiltrate the US. :D
Uh, technically speaking Kingsley is of mixed heritage. He's part something-European and part Indian. He may not actually be the Mandarin in any case.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@