Brian Young's new website: Houston, we have liftoff!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Brian Young's new website: Houston, we have liftoff!

Post by seanrobertson »

All,

Brian can't remember his password here, so I'll share the news in his stead. He's started a new sci-fi website, Scifights dot net.

As of yet, he's discussed shields, Star Destroyers, ion cannons, Stormtroopers and FTL tracking for Star Wars; Starfleet body armor, the size of Federation territory, antimatter and warp strafing for Trek; and he's posted links to his Youtube blogs, where he discusses all kinds of related subjects. Stargate, Dr. Who, the Kirk-era Federation versus the Minbari, a case study on the Borg and all kind of things are coming up.
Last edited by Thanas on 2012-04-09 04:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Re: Brian Young's new website: Houston, we have liftoff!

Post by Imperial528 »

Very interesting. Also, you messed up your link, so here is a working one: http://www.scifights.net
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Bookmarked and placed besides other interesting site markers.

Hope the place turns out to be fun.

much cheers to you and yours.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

What made him return?

I will say that I prefer text to videos though. A bit more fast paced
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Imperial528 wrote:Very interesting. Also, you messed up your link, so here is a working one: http://www.scifights.net
D'oH! Many thanks for the correction. I'd edit my post but too much time's passed :banghead: :lol:

PainRack, Brian actually wanted to put up a new site well before since he last posted here. I think his first idea was loosely based on sci-fi's "Deadliest Warrior." For instance, while they're not yet posted at the site, he's already made videos comparing Stormtroopers to Daleks and ... something to someone else; I can't remember ;)

As far as text vs. video goes, I understand what you mean. I think B-man explains why he chose this format somewhere on the new site. If not, I'll mention it to him because he does have his reasons.

Thanks for the cheers, Dass. I'll pass them along!
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Bah, text means I can read it when bored at work. Videos....not so much.

I've seen bits- the armor in Star Trek, the size of the Federation, and the guns video, and they're pretty nice. The only problem is that I don't really have time to watch them, except when I'm at work, and I can't really do that.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

seanrobertson wrote:As far as text vs. video goes, I understand what you mean. I think B-man explains why he chose this format somewhere on the new site. If not, I'll mention it to him because he does have his reasons.
While I can understand the logic behind the video format with regards what a modern audience expects, I agree with PR that text is a more accessible format for reference. There's also the issue that while some subjects (such as examining shield and weapon characteristics) benefit from the video format, the more maths-heavy ones, such as deriving starship power generation from surface-to-orbit times, really need the equations to be laid out for maximum effectiveness. In this case I think that while Brian's very effectively driven home just how quickly Wars ships reach orbit, the video is much weaker when it comes to directly linking those times to acceleration, and therefore to power generation, through worked examples.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

I haven't been able to go through anything besides the "why do the Imperials design wedge shaped ships" vid (which beat the issue in the ground, but some people need that), but I'm looking forward to watching more. I'm really looking forward to seeing the ICS one.

Having said that, I'd like to add my voice to those looking for some text based on some of these areas. Am I correct in thinking this is basically his newest stuff since the ICS came out? I'd be interested to see the new calculations and so forth. Either way, I'm glad to see something new like this, and I look forward to any analyses he makes on other series'.

*Edit

After reading the front page, I see why he's doing it. Still, modern audiences are relative. I've seen enough Gateworld posts to see that many audiences eat up the mathematical specifics. While I don't always understand the math, it certainly lends further credit to the claims made. Perhaps the videos can be akin to Wong's "ST vs SW in 5 minutes" page, where it introduces you to a topic, a sort of Abstract giving you the gist, and then further detail can be found in text format? Eh, just a thought.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well having been in print since 1939 I most certainly don't count as a modern audience, but for something that's bound to involve not inconsiderable amounts of math, I'm happier with the written word.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

After reviewing the Warp Strafing video, I have some comments.

First, all of Brain's examples are from the TOS era. I just can't see how you can justify the warp strafing issue as being possible or recommended if it hasn't happened since the TOS era. The only conclusive evidence it shows is that warp strafing was possible in that era. There's no evidence that I am aware of that it is possible later, but he doesn't bring any up.

The TMP example he uses is very much disputable, in my view. Brain argues that the asteroid was stationary, but the asteroid had actually been pulled in with them into what apparently became a "wormhole".
ST:TMP wrote: KIRK
(continuing)
Wormhole!... Get us back on
impulse power! Full reverse!

128 EXT. SPACE - THE ENTERPRISE (S) 128

Enterprise has been caught in a matter-time distortion,
sucked into a cylindrical "hole in space" (the Worm-
hole distortion), stars and planets become strange,
elongated shapes, with the Enterprise drawn deeper
and deeper into the vortex.

129 INT. BRIDGE 129

The KLAXONS and BELLS CONTINUE, and the crew responding:

SULU
Negative helm control, Captain!
Going reverse on impulse power...!

UHURA
Subspace frequencies are jammed
by Wormhole effect!

COMPUTER VOICE
(terse, flat)
Collision alert...!
Collision alert...!

(Note: Computer alert continues through entire scene.)

DECKER
(consulting his viewer)
Negative control from inertial
lag will continue 22 point five
seconds before forward velocity
slows to sub-light speed.

ILIA
Unidentified small object has
been pulled into the wormhole
with us, Captain! Directly
ahead...!
We see both that the Enterprise was trying to come out of warp, and that the object itself had basically been sucked in with them, in this "wormhole". Basically, there was some funky shit going on during this scene that really has nothing to do with warp strafing. Interestingly though, we get the line about the phaser system being redesigned in that warp power is now used when firing phasers, which could explain why phasers weren't used at warp more often until Voyager's era.

There are so many differences with the TOS warp scale (Visuals, speeds, reaction times, etc) that I would almost chalk it up to there being something different about warp between that era and the later eras. Something that may make strafing less practical or possible.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Usually when arguments about warp strafing occur (either way) it boils down to 'warp=FTL=instawin', but we know from the TOS era that warp drive at and below C (which IIRC was WArp factor 1) is possible. Just like its possible to (I believe) travel FTL with impulse drive (which by that same logic should be instawin.)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I was thinking of putting some of my thoughts about it in thread either Pure ST or STvsSW.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Lord Revan wrote:I was thinking of putting some of my thoughts about it in thread either Pure ST or STvsSW.
Please do!

Brian posted a video addressing some of the feedback in this thread.

Oh, and many thanks for fixing the link, Thanas :)
-Al Swearengen

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I like the new site, like the videos, etc... but he needs an editor to cut out some of the repetition in his vids. Other than that, it's fun and entertaining.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

seanrobertson wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:I was thinking of putting some of my thoughts about it in thread either Pure ST or STvsSW.
Please do!
well the thing is I need to think how to say my opinion so that they're clear enough.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

1. VOY going to the Gamma Quadrant end of the wormhole-how do the DS9/VOY timelines add up? Would the wormhole still have been there for VOY to use? The answer is probably hell yes but I thought I'd ask.
2. Given the barzan wormhole was initially leading to the Delta Quadrant and ended up in the Gamma one Valen alone would know where to find it.
3. I got mentioned in the video. SQUEE!

What pretty much damns 1. is that VOY from the word go intend to take the long way home, which either would require for VOY to depart DS9 pretty much on the brink of the series finale or somehow later find out the wormhole is closed, and one of the big points in the early seasons of VOY is they're out of contact with home, so how exactly would they know?

And are we ever actually told that Warp 1 is lightspeed?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I enjoy what I've seen of the site, I also feel he was a bit repetitive about the design of the Star Destroyer, the things droids don't have to worry about etc.
Bruce Wayne wrote:And are we ever actually told that Warp 1 is lightspeed?
Several times in TOS, at least once in TNG, without end in ENT. I believe they mention it in the First Contact movie to, but it's been a while. And many, many times from Roddenberry and extra-show sources. It's the one thing they kept when they redid the Warp Scale between TOS and TNG.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I know it's mentioned out of universe ad infinitum, I just can't recall it ever happening in universe (which doesn't mean it didn't by any means, my memory is far from perfect).
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

They have. Off the top of my head; TNG First Contact, where the E-D made contact with mitten-handed aliens who were in the late stages of their own Warp program, where Warp 1 is equated to lightspeed atleast twice. Also ENT First Flight, a flashback episode to the early days of the NX program when Archer was a test-pilot for experimental rockets trying to hit Warp 2.

I'm sure there were several other mentions, particularly TOS, but those are the lookup-able ones that leap to mind.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Looks like I was wrong then, thanks for correcting me.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Batman wrote:1. VOY going to the Gamma Quadrant end of the wormhole-how do the DS9/VOY timelines add up? Would the wormhole still have been there for VOY to use? The answer is probably hell yes but I thought I'd ask.
I think the bigger problem is that, from all the maps I've seen (which may or may not have canon backing) Voyager's arrival point and the two ends of the Bajoran wormhole form the three points of an equilateral triangle, so it would take them just as long to get to the GQ end, with no guarantee that it would still be there when they arrived.
2. Given the barzan wormhole was initially leading to the Delta Quadrant and ended up in the Gamma one Valen alone would know where to find it.
Other way round - it was initially the GQ, but stranded the Ferengi in the DQ. They eventually found it, tried to use it to get home, but fucked it up through their own stupidity.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I prefer text mainly because I can barely hear anything at all. So, I don't even know what BY is saying at all.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Perhaps it's your sound system because I can hear him just fine. Anyways, does anybody have any idea as to when the next video will be out?
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

the atom wrote:Perhaps it's your sound system because I can hear him just fine. Anyways, does anybody have any idea as to when the next video will be out?
If by sound system you mean my hearing impairment, then yes, yes it is.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I just watched the criteria vid, while I liked it he didn't really comment on supply lines, which IMHO are at least as important as industrial capacy, after all it doesn't matter if you can out build the enemy if you can't your troops are dying/breaking down due to lack of important supplies.

Also cutting of an enemy supply lines is one the few times (and most import one too) when ship to ship combat in deepspace would make sense (especially if you got the capability disable the enemy FTL and "pull" them back into "realspace" (think of submarine warfare in WW2).